VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

Found this site through Google, hope someone can help me with this problem.

I dub various old VHS tapes to DVD using a standalone DVD burner and a S-VHS deck (the VHS tapes are mostly old recordings that I made off of TV).

This is the issue: My standalone recorder simply stops recording in response to the snow/bluscreen (the area where the VHS is blank) on the tape. It seems to interpret the blank area of the tape as "the end" of the program and/or a loss of signal from the S-VHS deck. This is an issue for me because I have several tapes that have multiple programs where in between there is blank/snow, and I have to either sit there and monitor the recording or make note of the duration of the individual programs and frequently come back to hit record when another program starts.

My needs are simply that I can start the tape, hit record, have it going while I'm doing other things, and come back 2 hours later to hit stop when the entire content of the tape has been dubbed to DVD. I used to have a lite-on model years ago that would not stop and record no mater what was on the tape. But that model died out on me and since I've had a few standalones over the years that do what my current model does. I've also looked through the manual and settings of my standalone, and there is no indication that this "feature" in question can be "turned off" somehow.

I have the means to capture the video to my computer and author DVDs which one might say is a solution in this case, but because of the extent that I want to get my fairly large collection over to DVD, this method is too time consuming and would require having my computer tied up all the time capturing video, etc. and therefore not feasible for this particular undertaking.

My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for a good standalone recorder that doesn't stop recording regardless of snow/blank tape on the VHS being dubbed over?

Hopefully this rambling is at least somewhat coherent. Thanks very much in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What model DVD Recorder do you currently have? My older(non EZ/EA) model Panasonics don't stop recording when they detect snow, in fact I'm in the middle of a very large VHS to DVD conversion project and the only issue I've had is with a couple tapes where the DVDR somehow detected snow as MV and stopped the recording.
    I don't know why this happened but since it's only been a couple times in 100s of tapes I'm not too concerned. In your case if you wanted to keep your current DVDR I'd suggest a TBC which I would think would fix your problem. If you can't afford a full TBC then a decent video filter meant to allow copying of copy protected tapes should also work. Thats my suggestion anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi jjeff,

Thanks for the response!

The model in question is LG DR1F9H. According to the info on the back my particular player, it was produced in February 2006 so it's a little under 6 years old.

What are the model numbers on those Panasonics that you have? I'm interested in tracking one of them down. I don't mind selling and replacing the one I have, and a TBC, although a possibility in the future, isn't feasible financially right now for me.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LGs and later Sonys are known to be kind of flaky in the manner you described. Unfortunately so are the newer Panasonics The best Panasonics are the pre EZ/EA models(pre '07). My favorite are the '05 and '06 models(ES/EH models) because they retain full resolution for speeds up to 4hrs/DVD. If you only plan on using SP then any of the older Panasonic models should also work well.
    A basic '06 model I see occasionally used is the ES-15(which I have 3). I also see quite a few E55s('04 model) selling for <$50. The ES-10 is a popular model for VHS conversions and also a basic model. I'd avoid the '05 ES-20 due to buggy operation along with the '05 ES-40v combo both a predecessor to the EZ/EA models.
    Here is a link to a post I made talking about the various Panasonic DVDRs
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909
    Again you wouldn't need to spend the money on a full blown TBC, I'm guessing a simple video filter may also cure you problem with your LG but filters do tend to degrade the picture quality, many times lightning the picture or making it softer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Again you wouldn't need to spend the money on a full blown TBC, I'm guessing a simple video filter may also cure you problem with your LG but filters do tend to degrade the picture quality, many times lightning the picture or making it softer.
    Yes, the picture degradation issue is why I'm avoidant of video filters, especially since the results of my dubs from my JVC S-VHS deck have been so good over the years.

LGs and later Sonys are known to be kind of flaky in the manner you described. Unfortunately so are the newer Panasonics The best Panasonics are the pre EZ/EA models(pre '07). My favorite are the '05 and '06 models(ES/EH models) because they retain full resolution for speeds up to 4hrs/DVD. If you only plan on using SP then any of the older Panasonic models should also work well.
    A basic '06 model I see occasionally used is the ES-15(which I have 3). I also see quite a few E55s('04 model) selling for <$50. The ES-10 is a popular model for VHS conversions and also a basic model. I'd avoid the '05 ES-20 due to buggy operation along with the '05 ES-40v combo both a predecessor to the EZ/EA models.
    Here is a link to a post I made talking about the various Panasonic DVDRs
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909
    Thank you very much!!! This info is very helpful! I'm off to ebay to check things out!

Thanks again!!
    Quote Quote