VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to cap some analog Hi-8 which could stand some stabilization. I was thinking about passing it through the Pan 1980p. Does anyone know if the 1980p's TBC will function on passthrough before I rerack and rewire a bunch of stuff?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
    I'm trying to cap some analog Hi-8 which could stand some stabilization. I was thinking about passing it through the Pan 1980p. Does anyone know if the 1980p's TBC will function on passthrough before I rerack and rewire a bunch of stuff?
    As far as I can see, the TM90 and TM900 lack any video input let alone pass through capability. This seems to be the case with most AVCHD based camcorders.

Pass through is more common on MiniDV/Digital8/HDV camcorders.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Panasonic 1980p being an SVHS deck with a field TBC. Sorry for thr confusion. I have a Sony Hi-8 deck I was going to pass through the Panasonic VCR in hopes to stabalize my fields.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
    The Panasonic 1980p being an SVHS deck with a field TBC. Sorry for thr confusion. I have a Sony Hi-8 deck I was going to pass through the Panasonic VCR in hopes to stabalize my fields.
    Oops sorry.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. magillagorilla the ag1980 Panasonic shvs doesn't have tbc passtrough function only on play ( not even on recording on the vcr ). You can use dvd recorder for passtrough which is excellent for hi8 cameras ( none of them as far as I know doesn't have any kind of tbc)I use it for mine and also as composite to svideo convertor its working great on pann dmr es15 and dmr e55
    Quote Quote  
  6. The AG-1980 doesn't have any pass-through TBC capabilities. It does have a very good comb filter though. The JVC HM-DH40000U however can be used as a pass through TBC. I don't know if the newer HM-DH5U and DT100U have the feature.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Toshiba DVD recorders can be used for TBC pass-thru. Most older Toshiba's also have a 3D-Y/C filter on all inputs (the Y/C doesn't function on s-video input, but the 3D comb function does). They also have input and output DNR, but don't depend on it: it's mostly a simple blurring filter. Older Toshiba recorders from RD-2 up to the RD-XS series have pretty much the same filter and TBC functions. With Panasonics, TBC is active on Line 1 only.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:03.
    Quote Quote  
  8. How about the Toshiba D-VR600?

You guys are awesome! I just put the Toshiba D-VR600 in the path and it totally fixed my field wobble. Thanks!
    Last edited by magillagorilla; 1st Dec 2011 at 20:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never seen the Toshiba line act as a passthrough, and I've used several of them. Only the Panasonic ES10-15 is really known for this. And then several JVC HM-DH40000U D-VHS VCR owners have discovered it has the ability, too. (Not surprising, since I believe JVC and Panasonic shared some tech for their VCRs, both being Matsushita brands.)

Have you considered just paying a service for the few tapes giving trouble, as opposed to reinventing the wheel yourself?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are 23 tapes and they were all wiggly on the horizontal. But when I pass the signal through the Toshiba DVDR the scan lines are dead straight. Not really a need for a service. I'm no master at restoring but I'm pretty good at it and I can't afford to pay a shop for 23 tapes.

Also, off topic, normally I use HuffyUV for my capping codec. Because of the size of this project I am considering using DV for my caps. I have he codecia DV codec. Any recomendations on how to set it properly for Hi-8 footage? I am able to get it to work but I would like to make sure I am using optimum settings.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I've never seen the Toshiba line act as a passthrough, and I've used several of them. Only the Panasonic ES10-15 is really known for this.
    Something must be amiss. My Toshibas have worked fine as TBC pass-thru, along with my Panasonic ES-20. I think the Toshibas are more effective (and have cleaner color and blacks than the Panny). I've used an old banged-up Toshiba RD-K2 and the RD-XS34. The TBC in the Toshiba seems to be active on all inputs -- I've only tried Lines 1 and 2, never tried Line 3. The Toshibas even help a little with chroma shift and red bleed on VHS. Both Toshibas have 3D-Y/C filters that can be enabled/disabled on composite inputs.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have tested DVD Recorders from JVC, Lite-ON, Panasonic, RCA, Toshiba, Philips, and Magnavox. They ALL provided Frame Synchronization and some level of TBC performance via passthrough.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davideck View Post
    I have tested DVD Recorders from JVC, Lite-ON, Panasonic, RCA, Toshiba, Philips, and Magnavox. They ALL provided Frame Synchronization and some level of TBC performance via passthrough.

I don't know about all brands but my deck definately works, I'm not imagening it. The signal went from horrible to good when I passed it through the Toshiba DVDR.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The AG-1980 doesn't have any pass-through TBC capabilities. It does have a very good comb filter though
    Do you know if ag1980 can act as composite in/ svideo out ( with the benefits from svideo signal connection to the pc) just like connection and signal passtrough without tbc function. I tried to connect one with broken tape mechanism and i don't see difference between composite from camera direct in pc card and composite from camera in ag1980 and svideo signal out from vcr to pc card
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    Do you know if ag1980 can act as composite in/ svideo out ( with the benefits from svideo signal connection to the pc) just like connection and signal passtrough without tbc function. I tried to connect one with broken tape mechanism and i don't see difference between composite from camera direct in pc card and composite from camera in ag1980 and svideo signal out from vcr to pc card
    Yes, the comb filter can be used like that. The difference is more noticeable when you have sharp text or computer generated graphics on the screen, usually you get dot crawl along the edges with a poor comb filter. Keep in mind that dot crawl might already be "baked in" to your videos if a poor comb filter was used to record them.
    Last edited by NJRoadfan; 5th Dec 2011 at 00:41.
    Quote Quote