VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Hauppauge HD PVR (Gaming Edition, though I don't think that makes a difference), and I'm attempting to capture PS3 footage off of an HDTV. The Gaming Edition of the PVR comes with component cables from the system to the device, and a set of universal component cables to go from the device to the TV. When I enter Arcsoft Showbiz (the capture program that comes with the capture device) it recognizes that the signal is 1920 X 1080. However, when I click the "capture" button, it goes down to 720 X 480. I cannot find a way to increase the resolution. Does anyone know how I can change this? I saw an another thread, where someone had the same problem, that someone said to: "You need to output 1280x720p analog component from your PC display card. " I don't know what this means. If anyone could clarify, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not sending PC signals to the TV; I'm trying to send PS3 signals to the PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normally you have config SHOW BIZ to desire RECORD OUTPUT.

My AVER MEDIACENTER set for 720x480 in default config. Its make preview in 720p/1080i but record only 480p (same your post).

Check ASB config and try again.

You can try AMARECTV to record files.

PS: Your software is
    Arcsoft Showbiz DVD 2??

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 30th Nov 2011 at 19:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Hauppauge HD PVR can only capture at the source format. It can't downscale 1080i to 480i. Some recent PS3 models will downscale the component output when playing Blu-ray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. CAUPTAIN:

I'm using Showbiz 3.

JAGABO:

I wonder if that's the case. Forget recording: the TV itself says 1080i when I open the PS3 menu, but it says 480i when I try playing Child of Eden. I had no idea why. If it's a matter of the PS3, then I guess I get what I get. It's a shame, though; why would recent models downscale, when they could...not?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Lotus Prince View Post
    I wonder if that's the case. Forget recording: the TV itself says 1080i when I open the PS3 menu, but it says 480i when I try playing Child of Eden. I had no idea why. If it's a matter of the PS3, then I guess I get what I get. It's a shame, though; why would recent models downscale, when they could...not?
    Yes, the PS3 is definitely downscaling then. By the AACS (the encryption used on Blu-ray discs) license agreement Blu-ray players have to start downscaling analog outputs after 2010. Analog outputs will be eliminated completely in after 2013.

http://www.aacsla.com/license/AACS_Content_Provider_Agrmt_090619.pdf

Sony doesn't want you copying their content. Which is just stupid since you can easily rip Blu-ray discs on your computer and get perfect digital copies.
    Quote Quote  
  6. WOW, that is some bullshit. So it's either hunt down an older PS3 (which I do NOT feel like doing, as I got mine only a few weeks ago), or play in 480p.

Seriously, **** you, Advanced Access Content System Licensing Administrator.

But thank you very much for answering my question. I NEVER would have figured that one out.
    Last edited by Lotus Prince; 30th Nov 2011 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you missed Cauptain's point. Showbiz is DVD software, not HD. My Hauppage HD PVR came with Totalmedia Extreme which records both DVD and AVCHD at 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I actually did miss that point, but even so, I gave TotalMedia Extreme a shot (I tried a trial real quick), and it says that the SOURCE input is 720 X 480, so I think I'm stuck with the situation that Jagabo described.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Child of Eden is a game, not a Blu-ray movie, so AACS isn't involved.

If I understand correctly you're able to check the resolution using your TV -- let's get an HD resolution working with the game and TV first before trying the PC capture hookup, if possible. Have you enabled 720p output in the PS3 display options menu? As I recall, it will downscale 720p games rather than upscale them if your TV isn't set up to accept the resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the PS3 set to 1080i (the maximum that my HD PVR will allow). When I turn on the system, my TV shows me that yes, I'm operating at 1080i. It's when I actually start the game that it suddenly goes to 480i.

On the other hand...setting up the TV to accept the resolution...there's something I hadn't thought about. But even so, the PC is picking up information from the system, rather than from the TV, and both the TV and the PC are telling me "480."

I'm suspecting that I need to get a converter box (HDMI in, component out) to circumvent the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  11. All HDTVs support 1080i input. If you had a picture before starting the game the TV was accepting the 1080i signal. Just as a test though, if you hook the PS3 directly to the HDTV with component cables does the game still switch to 480i?

If you need to convert HDMI+HDCP to component: http://www.hdfury.com/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Good question; I hadn't tried that. I'll have to sometime later.

Also, thanks for the link for HDFury. I actually ordered this just today:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004F9XVBC/ref=nosim/panandscathed-20

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'll have to return it and go for the HDFury.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Lotus Prince View Post
    Pleast let us know how well it works out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sure thing. It got good reviews on Amazon, so I'm hoping that it suits my needs, as it costs about half of what HD Fury does (though HD Fury's description specifically states that it should suit my particular need, so I do feel comfortable with that product, should the need arise for me to purchase it).

Also, my god, they're coming out with HD Fury 4, that ADDS 3D to your TV? That's freaking insane! No, I'm not going to get it, especially at its current price, but good lord, that is REVOLUTIONARY!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lotus Prince View Post
    I have the PS3 set to 1080i (the maximum that my HD PVR will allow).
    My point is that most games run at 720p. If you only have 480i/p and 1080i checkmarked in the PS3's output settings, any game that doesn't offer 1080 output is going to scale itself down to 480 not scale itself up to 1080i.

Like this...

PS3 menus at 1080i
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3_settings1.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	9894Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3_settings2.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	9895

As soon as I load my 480p/720p game (the resolutions are listed on the back of the box), the connection resyncs and the PS3 outputs at 480p.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RockBand480.jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	9896

This is by design. Change your workflow to 720p and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by Lotus Prince View Post
    I have the PS3 set to 1080i (the maximum that my HD PVR will allow).
    My point is that most games run at 720p. If you only have 480i/p and 1080i checkmarked in the PS3's output settings, any game that doesn't offer 1080 output is going to scale itself down to 480 not scale itself up to 1080i.

This is by design. Change your workflow to 720p and see what happens.

No WAY. I never even thought of that! For some reason, I assumed that by setting it to 1080i, it'd include everything lower. I actually had not set it to 720p, and guess what - it works!

Thank you so much; you just saved me one hundred dollars.

Also, thank you to everyone on this thread for your prompt and polite responses. Also, I feel like a total goofball now. Still, all's well that ends well!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Wow, what a huge design flaw.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yeah, I'd assumed that if a TV could handle 1080, then it could handle everything below.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have the same problem, 2weeks ago my old ps3 broke I went bought a brand new one exactly the same, everything works the same, Except! when you try to play a BD through HD Pvr component the signal will automatically downgrade from 1080i. it's a shame i dont know who to blame for this hauppage or sony,
    Has Anyone out there found a way around to this?
    I dont want to settle for less like lotus here.
    Great post! got to give "jagabo" some credit for that, took me 2weeks to figure this out. this is the only post on the web that explained that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by unregistered102 View Post
    when you try to play a BD through HD Pvr component the signal will automatically downgrade from 1080i. it's a shame i dont know who to blame for this hauppage or sony
    Once again, the HD PVR can only record what is sent to it. It can't upscale, downscale, or change the frame rate. The blame lies with Sony and the AACS rules which require all players sold after 2010 to downgrade analog output to standard definition, and all players sold after 2013 to have no analog outputs at all.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/aacs-hdmi-kill-component-2010
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by unregistered102 View Post
    I have the same problem, 2weeks ago my old ps3 broke I went bought a brand new one exactly the same, everything works the same, Except! when you try to play a BD through HD Pvr component the signal will automatically downgrade from 1080i. it's a shame i dont know who to blame for this hauppage or sony,
    Has Anyone out there found a way around to this?
    I dont want to settle for less like lotus here.
    Great post! got to give "jagabo" some credit for that, took me 2weeks to figure this out. this is the only post on the web that explained that.
    As of last year all new Blu-Ray players are now required to downscale component video to 480i. It is part of the technology licensing agreement. The workaround is an HD Fury or another HDMI to component converter like the link above http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004F9XVBC/ref=nosim/panandscathed-20

I see jagabo beat me.
    Quote Quote  
  22. As it turned out, my problem was caused by a stupid mistake: when I was changing my display settings, I was asked to check ALL boxes that were applicable, in terms of resolution. I checked 1080i, but I didn't check 720p, because I misread the prompt. After going back to my settings and checking the 720p box, I can now play and record games at 720p with no problem, and 1080i works too.
    Quote Quote  
  23. will order to give it a try and post later.
    thanks both.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Why on earth would you want to record a Blu-ray movie using your Hauppauge?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I wouldn't. I was recording game footage.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Is not a movie..
    But regardless I purchased the hauppauge HD PVR
    cause I wanted to capture 1080i footage with my ps3
    not 720 not 480.
    And it clearsly says it does that.
    And it doesn't. At least for me.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by unregistered102 View Post
    Is not a movie..
    But regardless I purchased the hauppauge HD PVR
    cause I wanted to capture 1080i footage with my ps3
    not 720 not 480.
    And it clearsly says it does that.
    And it doesn't. At least for me.
    That's the PS3's fault, not the HD PVR. Sony doesn't want you to copy Blu-ray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  28. It captures 1080i for me. As people said earlier, make sure that 1080i is checked in your video settings. Also, make sure that 1080p is NOT checked. The PS3 will play at the maximum output, and the HD PVR cannot capture 1080p; you'll just get a wonky image or a black screen, I believe.
    Quote Quote