VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am doing some archive work which includes both duplicating analog Hi8 videos to Hi8 tape as well as capturing digitally. I have 62 Hi8 videos most of them are extended play recorded on P5-120MPs (PAL) Hi8. I am looking to purchase the P5-120MP Hi8 tape, (the PAL length blank Hi8 tape). The NTSC Hi8 tapes here in the USA are all too short. Can anyone suggest any good sources where to buy these PAL blank Hi8 tapes without breaking the bank.

Was not sure the best forum to post this request.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SGGS View Post
    I am looking to purchase the P5-120MP Hi8 tape, (the PAL length blank Hi8 tape). The NTSC Hi8 tapes here in the USA are all too short.
    Please tell me you don't do this for a living.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, they are old tapes that I need to get copied and digitized.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is no such thing as PAL/NTSC Hi8 tapes....just like there were no such thing as PAL/NTSC VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought that too but when you look on the chart that comes with the Hi8 tapes Sony/Maxell have split them into P5 for PAL and P6 for NTSC. The PAL Hi8 blanks are longer to accommodate that PAL-Video8/Hi8 runs faster than NTSC-Video8/Hi8. I did not realize the tapes would be different lengths but Sony and Maxell have charts on their tapes to explain the length differences. When we tried to copy a PAL original to a NTSC P6 Hi8 blank it would never fit and we would need 2 blank tapes to complete the recording. After getting the P5s they fit perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SGGS View Post
    I thought that too but when you look on the chart that comes with the Hi8 tapes Sony/Maxell have split them into P5 for PAL and P6 for NTSC. The PAL Hi8 blanks are longer to accommodate that PAL-Video8/Hi8 runs faster than NTSC-Video8/Hi8. I did not realize the tapes would be different lengths but Sony and Maxell have charts on their tapes to explain the length differences. When we tried to copy a PAL original to a NTSC P6 Hi8 blank it would never fit and we would need 2 blank tapes to complete the recording. After getting the P5s they fit perfectly.
    WRONG.
    Standard recording time is up to 180 minutes for PAL and 120 minutes for NTSC. (The cassette holds the same length tape; tape consumption is different between PAL and NTSC recorders.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format#Technical_overview
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those 120 minute tapes are pretty thin. I used 60 min only so they didn't stretch.
    Quote Quote