VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    For recording a band performance at a club, would Auto mode suffice or should I be tweaking settings in Manual mode for audio and ambient lighting? The recording will mainly be used for archival purposes and possible uploading onto a website.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll have an excessive contrast in lighting levels between concentrated stage lights and the otherwise dark surroundings; so no, auto iris will not give you the proper exposure. (You're likely to get washed-out faces on the performers.)

Using the camcorder's onboard microphone for a band performance, whether in a club or concert hall, will yield poor results. See if you can tap into the club's mixing board to get a clean sound, and record with a portable digital audio recorder like the Zoom H4n or similar device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or use a Beachtek dva-2t to connect the house mixer (line or mic level out) to the camcorder for recording. Use manual audio level on camcorder using peak meter and/or headphones to avoid clipping.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. I`m a non professional photographer and music enthusiast. Just got the same canon M41 with the Canon SM V1 5.1 mic ,and some extra batteries and a wide adapter. I`ll be using this at a med sized club on New Years Eve to tape a rock band ,and some acoustic sets . I`ve been reading and asking to learn the best setting to use as I probably won`t have much time to do any testing in a simular setting. I`ve been using a Sony Digital8 with OK results and no editing.I probably will learn to edit later when I get some beginner software and want to record in the best possible setting I know this isn`t an ideal setup but managed to get it for Christmas,so I`m taking it along with my Canon 7D and some fast glass. Any advise on what setting to use if I don`t use Auto. I`ll try to position for the best sound in relation to the speakers and use 5.1 surround.I have about a week to try it before the show. If you have tried this setup I`d like any advise.I can post results if anyone is interested later. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Camcorder mics will have local ambiance if that is what you are looking for (e.g. muffled band sound, crowd noise, clinking glass and "whoops").

The good performance sound comes from the house mixer board. That is why each singer and instrument has a mic. If the band is agreeable, show up for the sound check and get things sorted out then.

PS: In a true club recording, the house speakers and recording tracks get separate equalization. Ideally you want flat response curve so you can equalize later in post.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote