VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought a SONY BRAVIA 32 inch X 42 LED TV. I am facing few problems. If any one could help with this, would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1) When i connect my PENDRIVE to play back movies, half the time it says "PLAYBACK NOT AVAILABLE".

2) It only plays MPEG 4 content - even in that it does not play everything. Half the downloaded movies are played with no AUDIO.

3) I tried converting a few .mkv files to .mpeg4 using AnyVideoConverter (Anv Soft), it would play only the video but not the audio again.

4) Same with Blu ray rips downloaded from torrents. I face the same problem.

Any one help me out? Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is the exact bravia model name?

Maybe does avi with divx/xvid(mpeg4) and mp3 audio works best. Try convert to it with for example AnyVideoConverter or other good converters like format factory, autogk, freemake video converter. Be sure to use avi with divx/xvid video or mp3 audio.

Or just buy a media player that supports everything, http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The exact model is this ---> KDL 32EX420

I have actually converted a .mkv file to .mpeg using any video converter but it plays only the video and not the audio. Needed help with that.

Here is the MediaInfo information of the same file.

General
    Unique ID : 176152680758374702650077359611850511509 (0x8485C5B333DA5170AD8BB591DCF7D495)
    Complete name : E:\Dookudu - 2011.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 697 MiB
    Duration : 2h 49mn
    Overall bit rate : 574 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-01 09:06:33
    Writing application : mkvmerge v4.9.1 ('Ich will') built on Jul 11 2011 23:53:15
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.1 + libmatroska v1.1.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L2.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Nominal bit rate : 524 Kbps
    Width : 608 pixels
    Height : 256 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.140
    Writing library : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=524 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Quote Quote  
  4. MP4 is a container. It can contain audio and video compressed with many difference codecs and properties. You need to figure out which codecs and properties the TV can handle and convert your sources to those codecs and properties.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Here is the info on the Bravia codec support from the Sony website... Hopefully down the road they will support a higher level of codecs.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=799&mdl=KDL46EX723
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What is the exact bravia model name?

Maybe does avi with divx/xvid(mpeg4) and mp3 audio works best. Try convert to it with for example AnyVideoConverter or other good converters like format factory, autogk, freemake video converter. Be sure to use avi with divx/xvid video or mp3 audio.

Or just buy a media player that supports everything, http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    The Sony Bravia does not support avi files, DivD or Xvid... see the post with the link to Sony's supported files formats in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best to get a cheap media player and forget about this TV's media support. Much less agony than trying to convert pretty well every video you download...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    My solution is that I am building a media PC with HDMI output and a wireless keyboard/mouse so that we can play any higher quality content through it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sony Bravia has a very limited support for video formats through USB.And even USB format should be FAT32.Through usb it only supports-Photo (JPEG), Music (MP3), Video (MPEG1, MPEG2 TS & PS).HD video in above formats takes very large amount of space for storage.for e.g a 3 GB mpeg-4 file will get converted in about 9 GB file.

So as this format size above 4GB it becomes incompatible to store it on FAT32 formatted device.And upon that their is no guarantee that it would play the supported format.

Their are only two solutions for these.

1]To buy a DVD player or Blu-ray disc player which supports other video formats and has HDMI support and connect it to ur Bravia.

2](which i used) a]Download a freeware called as SERVIIO and install it on your PC. For these software to work you should have router(wireless support will be better) and Bravia tv to have inbuilt wireless modem(If not buy a usb wireless modem for ur TV) .
    b]Then connect your TV to your home network using wireless setup option in ur TV(HOME-->SETTINGS-->NETWORK-->Wireless set up (.If you can see youtube videos on your TV your connection is perfect.
    c]Now in ur PC open serviio application.In your status tab you would see your Sony Bravia connected with indication of green light.
    d]now open library tab and add folder which contains your videos or movies(it will support almost all mpeg-4 format but specifically H.264) and click save(see below).
    e]Now 'enable transcoding' in your transcoding tab
    f]Now in your Bravia TV go in HOME-->MENU-->VIDEOS.In this you would see the serviio logo.In that look for your shared movie and enjoy.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what worked for me:

TV: Sony KDL-32EX308
    Software: Handbrake
    In Handbrake, I set the Codec to MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)
    Use NTSC (29.97) framerate and set it to Variable Framerate.
    Set the encode to Constant Quality and put the slider between 1 and 8. Setting 1 will be higher quality but larger filesize. If you source video is already a crappy bitrate, then a higher setting here will not help you. (you can't get something from nothing).
    Make sure the filename stays .mp4 and NOT .m4v. I changed the default settings in Preferences to not use this.
    My audio is set to AAC. I use 160Kbps Audio bitrate.

These settings work on my Sony TV. In the future I will by an LG T.V. as they are more compatible with other codecs and do not tie you to one OS.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had it up to the eyebrows with Sony and their claims to support "Playable Types of Files" even according to their manual. Piss weak escape clause foot note "some files may not play depending on the format, the encoding, or recording condition". I have a BDV-E370 and an KDL-40EX600. Some avi files that don't play will play if I change the file extension to divx-doh!, same with some mpeg files! Some play via the TV's USB but not the BD player (same generation). Some play if burned to disc but not via usb. I have a $25 Vivid box from the supermarket that handles more files and records than the $1000+ paid for the Sony equipment (even the Vivid remote has a goto time function). At least Sony could publish some reference movies or encoding profiles they know work! They must have used some during testing.

I have a fair handle on encoding and I wouldn't expect any particular piece of equipment to support every possible option on playback but that there's bugger all information from Sony (like none) about what encoding Sony equipment supports. File format extensions aren't enough. Containers are one thing and the encoders for the content are another. There's certification for DivX but for other formats it's suck and see. Sure I could run everything through Mediainfo and spot the difference but my life's too short! So does anyone know of a source for encoding profiles for Sony equipment? The DLNA transcoder s/w people seem to have found out. SONY, show me one video of each file format extension you claim your equipment plays - e.g., an mkv movie with 2.0, 5.1, DTS etc at least I can use Mediainfo and find the encoding setting if you SONY are so lame that you can't publish what encodings you support!

I feel like starting an internet campaign against SONY! Anyone want to join me on the Sony support site etc? No wonder their sales figures are slipping.

Yes some of the work around's mentioned above will work, re-encode hold your breath, lug your PC to the TV and plug it in and use VLC, wireless, whatever, but the fact remains that SONY needs to specify what encoding will work even if it's only restricted to one profile per file type. Paying $$$'s and getting NO useful support is a rip-off!

David
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sony has long ago stopped standing for quality. The only Sony products I have bought in recent years are a multi-card reader that works well under Win 7 64 bit and digital cameras. I happen the like their digital cameras and have used them for years.

Sony's main problem is that they are schizophrenic. The electronics half of the company sincerely seems to want to put out good, useful, quality products that consumers will like. Unfortunately the media conglomerate half of Sony has run the company for years and that half views all humans as being potential revenue thieves. So this results in a situation where a lot of Sony's products are half-assed and not particularly consumer friendly. I wish I could get paid every time we get posts asking how to make some Sony DVD or BD player region free and we have to tell them basically "You can't". Sorry for your trouble, but if you learned a valuable lesson maybe next time you'll consider another brand when shopping. The guys who built the TV probably on some level do want it to work for you, but the media guys view you viewing files that way as 100% piracy (they literally cannot conceive that you might convert DVDs or BDs you bought) so they probably have deliberately made it the situation you see today.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Sony... literally cannot conceive that you might convert DVDs or BDs you bought
    Oh, they can conceive of that. It's just their opinion that you have to buy a new disc when the old one breaks. Or pay for another license to watch on another device.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by iRecycle View Post
    The exact model is this ---> KDL 32EX420

Here is the MediaInfo information of the same file.
    [...]
    Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    From what I found out after I bought two Bravias, they - among numerous other formats - don't play HE-AAC. When I still had the ambition to play files from USB storage, my safest bet was to convert the videos to AVC/x264 with a level not higher than L4.1 and AAC or AC3 audio.

Very soon I found that for me local USB playback is far too unflexible in many aspects. I've been using Serviio as an DLNA server for a few years now and my Bravias (and iOS devices) are more than happy with it.

And I still like my Sonys because their GUI doesn't look like it was designed for pre-school kids.
    Quote Quote