VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a 128gb and a 80 gb ssd drives that I use to boot from... One has W7 ultimate and the other Has XP... Can I install pc games on my WD 2tb Sata drives and run them from my ssd drives? I am trying to keep as much stuff off of my ssd drives? What about applications like Solidworks? Can I install them in my 2 Tb drives? The 2Tb drive are formatted clean and don't have operating systems on them? Do they need OS to run games and other apps? These SSD's are incredible but fill up fast.. My pc is a i7 950 3.8 ghz with 12gb of Patriot gamers ram... Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most programs can be installed on other than the boot drive. When you do the install, it should ask you what drive you want it on. If it has an option, you should be able to run the program from the other drive. The links will still be on the boot drive, so they will show in the menu, but they don't take much room.

You may also want to move your paging files and temp files off the SSD. They can take up a lot of space. And do all your downloads to other than the boot drive. I never use Windows download folder. Also anything that you store on your desktop screen is stored on the boot drive. Move it off there and just put a link to your storage folders on the desktop.

Most programs and Windows itself loves to load stuff onto the boot drive. You have to watch to see where stuff is going or your SSD can get overloaded very easily. That's why I gave up on small SSDs and use a 120G SSD. It still gets a lot of unnecessary stuff on it, but I have a bit more time to move it off before it causes problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Most programs can be installed on other than the boot drive. When you do the install, it should ask you what drive you want it on. If it has an option, you should be able to run the program from the other drive. The links will still be on the boot drive, so they will show in the menu, but they don't take much room.

You may also want to move your paging files and temp files off the SSD. They can take up a lot of space. And do all your downloads to other than the boot drive. I never use Windows download folder. Also anything that you store on your desktop screen is stored on the boot drive. Move it off there and just put a link to your storage folders on the desktop.

Most programs and Windows itself loves to load stuff onto the boot drive. You have to watch to see where stuff is going or your SSD can get overloaded very easily. That's why I gave up on small SSDs and use a 120G SSD. It still gets a lot of unnecessary stuff on it, but I have a bit more time to move it off before it causes problems.
    Thanks for the help... I got all of my paging and temps files over there and it gave me some more room thanks.. What about the programs like Solidworks and Mastercam I already installed from my SSD? Can I move these over to my 2tb drive? Not sure what files to move? Or do I have to uninstall everything and reinstall from the 2 Tb drive? Does (disc clean up) help with hard drive space on my SSD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The SSD can be configured many ways depending on your goals.

If your goal is fast boot and quick game load, then those files need to be on the SSD. You need to figure out which game files get loaded for game play and which are options that don't get used.

I use an SSD as a second drive for video capture and editing uncompressed SD files. I rarely reboot.

Another popular use of SSD is for laptops which have slow drives and need to be rebooted often.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote