VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have some MKV files (fan subbed anime -- very nice), and at any given time there are 2-3 subs, so text conversion makes a mess. It's just not workable, if I desire to retain translation quality.

How can I easily convert the MKV + ASS (16x9) to DVD-Video? ---- possibly even Blu-ray (but prefer DVD-Video)

Even just finding a way to easily embed the graphics and convert to MPEG-2 would suffice.
    Or lossless AVI, for that matter.

The subtitle work is gorgeous -- but impossble to watch on TV without attaching a computer, watching in VLC. I know a bit about subtitles, but having watched something like this, I clearly don't know enough. Even the song subtitles highlight as the lyrics are sung -- all sub work -- and concurrently in Japanese and English. (Wow.)

I've had these for a couple of years, actually, but have never found what I wanted. (Not the first time I've asked for help.)

Maybe 2012 is the year it finally happens? Help.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Fancy sub effects won't be supported by blu-ray or DVD, so I'm assuming you're asking how to hardcode the subs,

You can use textsub in avisynth (vsfilter.dll) into any encoder that accepts avs scripts.

If you're subs are muxed in, you can use mkvextract or one of the related GUI's

You may have to resize to SD for DVD compliant resolution

e.g

FFMpegSource("video.mkv", atrack=-1)
    TextSub("subs.ass")
    Quote Quote