VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    For YEARS now we have been using this T-Sinus 130 DSL Datapack device to connect to the internet:
    http://www.chip.de/artikel/Weihnachts-Gewinnspiel-2_12857761.html

My PC uses the little black thingy(shown in the bottom picture) to wirelessly connect to the 130 DSL box....my wife's laptop(Dell) finds the 130 DSL box on it's own and connects easily. Occasionally we've had to reset our connection via typing in 192.168.2.1 into Firefox or IE(as described in the instructions provided) and go through a simple routine which ends up saying "Welcome To The Internet"....no big deal.
    Recently however in the past week or so both computers have encountered the same problem....when watching(or attempting to watch) YouTube videos, our internet connection COMPLETELY wipes out.....both the wireless connection to the 130 DSL and or "internet connection" are completely gone. I need to re-establish the wireless connection to the 130 DSL and I need to do the "IP Trick" described above.

As you can see by the link above....this box dates back to 2002 technology so I'm not expecting miracles here....but if anyone has any suggestions on how to rectify our "YouTube Problem"....I'm all ears.

We are also strongly considering getting a new "box"....mainly looking at this one:
    http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7270/index.php
    Or the even more simple version:
    http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN/index.php
    which is almost exactly like what we have - no bells or whistles.

Our old 130 DSL box has always been a complete pain in the ass to WEP secure(as a matter of fact it has never been WEP secured)....but we are basically "alone" down here(one VERY old couple and a younger couple who are rarely at home) in our portion of the community so it's no big deal. Here are the wireless points in our neighborhood:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9790&stc=1&d=1322383090

Any suggestions on what would cause our YouTube problem all of a sudden?
    Any thoughts on how we would cope with a new FRITZ box?...again...I am all ears.

THANK YOU!!!!!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wireless.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	9790  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Update: I turned my PC off and my wife's laptop stayed connected to YouTube with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The "simple procedure" you use at 192.168.2.1 sounds like the initial setup for a router. The router should not be repeatedly loosing this information. More detail on exactly what is entered in here would help nail this down, however most likely you need to replace the router.

It may just be a simple failure of DHCP, which you can solve by turning this off and manually setting IP addresses on the router and on the PCs. BUT, there must be something else going on as this would not cause a working connection to suddenly stop working. DHCP failure coupled with a problem with the power, and/or power adapter, could be it.

Some ping tests through a wired connection would yield more useful info.

I'd replace the router. If it comes from the ISP, they will usually replace it for free, and/or have a combination modem/wireless router as a free or low-cost upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My customer data stored in the router never goes away if that is what you mean. I am basically just re-establishing my Internet connection. The connection ONLY stops working when on YouTube or viewing a YouTube video via a link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MalWareBytes and Avast scans came back clean(while NOT connected to the internet).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Without more detailed info on this "basic procedure", it will be impossible to provide a more educated guess. Detailed information on this "simple procedure" that is both prompted after the error and which resolves the problem should be a glaringly obvious area to investigate more closely. What you do here re-establishes the connection. It replaces or repairs what is lost. It fixes it. A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS REQUIRES MORE INFORMATION ON THIS OPERATION.

As mentioned, ping tests will provide some useful information. Command prompt, "ipconfig /all", ping "gateway address", ping "ethernet address", ping known DNS address "63.75.167.11".

It may be an issue of bandwidth throttling. What percentage of your time on the internet involves NO contact of any kind with Youtube? This could be a red herring. It could be the answer to the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS REQUIRES MORE INFORMATION ON THIS OPERATION.
    Well that is not gonna happen for several reasons. This "simple procedure" happens all in German. We've been doing this "simple procedure" the same exact way for almost 10 years now....nothing has changed with the "simple procedure". What has changed is that something to do with YouTube is both disconnecting my wireless connection to my router....AND at the same time killing my router's internet connection. I've already deducted that it is something to do with only ONE of our two computers....MINE. My wife's laptop happily plays YouTube vids all day....NEVER a problem.
    Something has happened to MY computer in the past week and I can't figure out what has happened. All other video sites(Vimeo, Google) play perfectly fine. Videos from the HDD play perfectly fine. No other web site kills BOTH of my connections....just YouTube. I have ZERO other internet connection problems other than this present one with YouTube.

If you wanna stand here and play "tough guy" and argue....you can simply go FVKK yourself. Good enough Nelson37?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm sorry, I thought you had a problem you wanted to resolve, I understand now you just want to bitch.

Fix it yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I'm sorry, I thought you had a problem you wanted to resolve, I understand now you just want to bitch.

Fix it yourself.
    You are not going to resolve it. You never do. All you do is show up as if you are god's gift to computer problems and berate people. Like i said....YOU can go fvkk yourself tough-guy.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Now play nice, fellas. I suspect you are right about the DSL modem/router beginning to fail. You can probably use a USB WiFi adapter instead if the old unit won't work with the new modem. My Buffalo WiFi 'N'adapter only sticks out of the USB socket about a 1/2", so no problem with it getting knocked out.

I had problems with my laptop dropping the signal and it was partially the router. Then the laptop started losing the connection, both to the router and the internet. I was running my newer DSL modem into my old router so I wouldn't have to reconfigure all the addresses. (I don't use DHCP) I finally eliminated the old router and then everything was OK for a week.

Then dropouts again, but just with the laptop, the wired connections were fine. The laptop called the new connection 'Network 2' and I suspect the dropouts were the laptop trying to find the original 'Network' connection. Apparently Windows keeps even the old connections somewhere and I can't find where. I finally give up and used a USB adapter and turned off the internal adapter and everything works fine. I had tried everything with the built in adapter, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and software.

Sorry, long winded, but I believe it was a combination of the router, the laptop WiFi adapter and some sort of Windows problem.

Most newer DSL modems use WPA encryption with AES and are very secure and fairly easy to set up. Mine just uses a pushbutton on the modem to set up my laptop adapter. Very easy. An easy security step if you don't need encryption is to use MAC address filtering in the modem. Then just the computers you permit can access the modem.

With wireless, you also have to make sure you aren't using the same channel everyone else is using, or you may get interference and dropouts. You change the channel in the modem. Your WiFi adapter will automatically change.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have two ways to connect wirelessly to "that box" (from my PC - as stated...my wife's Dell laptop is freakin' relentless with connecting to our box....I don't think she could stop it if she tried... ) I have the little USB dongle supplied by T-Online which works just as well as my other method....a generic PCi card with a little antenna sticking out of it(which I think I threw away like an idiot).
    Having said that....I just turned off all of my Firefox Add-ons (AdBlock plus, BlockSite, DownLoadHelper and NoScript) and was YouTube-ing all morning with no problems. Interesting.
    We will probably still get the new Fritz box for Xmas. My wife loves the idea of being able to use a centralized printer for both computers(doesn't interest me AT ALL), and I like the idea of being able to secure our connection EASILY. I just need to remember to get hold of Deutsche Telekom to get our account details. That "initial login - simple procedure" screen has kept our details for almost a decade and we've long since forgotten everything....account number and password both(this is Germany - of course your account number is NOT your phone number)...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I usually write all that info on a label and stick it on the modem/router. I have to check every once in a while to see what password I used. Generally the new DSL modem/routers have become easier to use and set up and have mostly improved performance.

My new one is VDSL with option for 40Mb.s performance. I have it at 20Mb/s to keep the monthly cost down. Mine also has a USB port where you can plug in a USB HDD. Not a feature I need, but it could be handy for some people.

Deutsche Telekom T-Home offers VDSL2 with speeds up to 50Mb/s in some of the larger cities if you want really fast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_speed_digital_subscriber_line_2
    Quote Quote