VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First of all I have to admit that I am not a tech savy person AT ALL. I am however pretty good at setting up our gadgets since my husband has been gone every time we have moved. That being said I am stumped when it comes to connecting our standard Direct TV cable box to our LCD monitor that is not being used. I know it is possible because I have heard of other doing it.

Monitor has HDMI, VGA, a plug for speakers and 2 different USB connections. One is the standard plug in and the other is smaller and our printer usb in fits in it.
    Cable box has standard yellow red white video cables, S video cable, USB and coaxial ofcourse.

I have looked at usb tuners and also the easycap. I don't want to have to use the tower if I don't have to. I just really want the monitor and the cable box. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thank you so much! I have seen the Svideo to HDMI boxes but have heard mixed reviews on the quality. I am sure VGA would give a better picture. Can't beat the price either compared to getting a new tv. My monitor is 24inches so I think it would be the perfect size for a bedroom tv. Thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's doubtful VGA will give a better picture than HDMI. The real issue is that computer monitors are not designed to be TVs. And inexpensive scan converters don't do a great job of converting interlaced video for a progressive monitor.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Nov 2011 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Better to get a $30 CRT TV down at Goodwill.

Or, upgrade DirecTV box to HD and use 720p/1080p HDMI. Computer monitors can't handle interlace.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote