+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is very confusing.

I used Mactheripper to create a folder that has:

1. An empty Audio _TS file,
    2. The Video_TS file with the dvd data.

After burning the folder on dvd it will play on the mac dvd player when I access the Video_TS file but will not play on any DVD player.

When I load the Video_TS file into ffmpegx it plays with preview, but I can not get it to encode for me a DVD file that I can burn for dvd players.

How do I do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need special software to burn the ripped files and folders correctly for a playable DVD. Looking at VideoHelp's Mac tools section, Toast is the most highly rated DVD burning software for OSX. If you need free DVD burning software, you could try Burn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, now I am really confused. The DVD I am trying to make a copy of has on it:

VIDEO_TS File, and an empty AUDIO_TS file.

It plays on all players.

I used Disk Utility to make a exact copy of the disk and burnt it.

So both DVD's have exactly the same files. They look the same, and all the files are in the same order when viewed.

However, the new DVD will not play on the DVD players.

I had thought that ffmpegx would encode the VIDEO_TS folder into an DVDmpeg2 playable file, but when enabled the program just keeps processing, never finishes.

What do I need to do to make a playable DVD from the source DVD (not protected)

I have the Burn Program but I don't think it will do anything different and I keep wasting blank DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD players don't often play .mpg files so there is no point in converting any of the .VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder to an .mpg.

There is more involved in burning a DVD than just getting the files on a DVD disc. They must be on the disc in the right order (which is not necessarily the same order you see on your computer), and in the right physical location on the disc. Disc Utility will not work for that. Try Burn.

[Edit]You need VIDEO_TS not just the files inside, and it won't hurt to add AUDIO_TS to the list. Burn should have a setting for making a playable DVD from those two folders.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2011 at 20:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Burn gives me 4 choices.

1. Data where I can choose DVD UDF
    2. Audio
    3. Video where I can choose DVD-video
    4. Data

So I should drag the AUDIO_TS, and VIDEO_TS file into burn and burn as a DVD-video, yes?

What should I name the new DVD? Are there any restrictions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    RL - You need to choose #3. There are name restrictions but I don't remember what they are. If you stay below something like 16 characters and just restrict yourself to letters, numbers and underline you should be fine.

Also, by any chance are you trying to burn to dual layer media instead of single layer? The reason I am asking is that my iMac has an Optiarc burner and the damn thing will NOT under any circumstances burn to DL discs (I only use Verbatim DVD+R DL by the way) without making a coaster about 60% of the way through the burn. I even tried using ImgBurn under Windows in a VM and it still failed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, little quiz..

What's the difference between?:

A) a 16bit, 44.1kHz, stereo, LPCM wav file of a song on CDROM; or
    B) a CD track of the same song

also

C) an MPEG2(MP @ ML), 720x480 8Mbps video + ac3 5.1 ch, 192kbps audio of a movie on DVD-ROM; or
    D) a 1stplay DVD-Video disc of the same movie

The answer is that those former choices are GENERIC-application media files, whereas the latter choices are AUTHORED, C.E.-Platform-specific-application media files.

To get from the former to the latter, one has to take those former files and AUTHOR them with a program that complies with that specific C.E. (consumer electronic) standard.

When you say you want to copy a disc, you shouldn't be decrypting, ripping-to files/folders, reauthoring, and burning. You should be decrypting, ripping to discimage, and burning.

By discimage, I mean ISO-type file.

This retains the already-existing authoring layout/metadata.

If you want just the GENERIC-application type file, you just need to decrypt+rip. But you must understand that those won't be as fully supported by C.E. devices as correctly authored files.

If you DO want to copy & reauthor, you need to take the actual, ripped authored media files and first unwrap them from their authored environs, then use the newly GENERIC-application mediafiles as the source(s) for re-authoring.

Your mention of VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS makes me wonder, as that usually is just referring to the FOLDERS, no the files in question. See "What is DVD?" for a little more understanding on which file(s) to use.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RL View Post
    After burning the folder on dvd it will play on the mac dvd player when I access the Video_TS file but will not play on any DVD player. When I load the Video_TS file into ffmpegx it plays with preview, but I can not get it to encode for me a DVD file that I can burn for dvd players. How do I do this?
    1/ If the DVD player bundled with the OS is playing the VIDEO_TS folder and/or disc okay, then the VIDEO_TS folder is almost certainly fine.
    2/ If a VIDEO_TS folder plays in a software player, but not on a set top player, then I suspect the process went wrong with the file system.
    The DVD-Video format wants the UDF v1.0.2 file system, which is not an option when burning with the disc burning tools in the OS.

There are third party tools that can make disc image files with the UDF file system. The Img tool in ffmpegX is one such app. Once you have a disc image, it doesn't matter which burning software you use to transfer that to disc, concerning the file system.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Burn gives me 4 choices.
    2. Audio
    4. [Copy]
    RL - You need to choose #3.
    If you have an authored, functional VIDEO_TS folder, then burn using option #1. I think #3 might re-convert everything needlessly, wasting time and quality.

So I should drag the AUDIO_TS, and VIDEO_TS file into burn and burn as a DVD-video, yes?
    What should I name the new DVD? Are there any restrictions?
    The disc should have a label (volume name) that conforms to ISO 9660 and UDF 1.02. The former is more restrictive. Names like "MY_VACATION_2009" are okay. In the root of the volume should be the VIDEO_TS folder and the AUDIO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Burn gives me 4 choices.
    2. Audio
    4. [Copy]
    RL - You need to choose #3.
    If you have an authored, functional VIDEO_TS folder, then burn using option #1. I think #3 might re-convert everything needlessly, wasting time and quality.
    I checked the documentation for Burn at its website last night. It includes an instructional video to illustrate burning a VIDEO_TS folder, which uses option #3. Option #3 should work without converting the video.

I agree a disc image produced by the ripper would be the way to go when making an exact copy of the DVD. However if the OP only has a VIDEO_TS folder for some reason, the directions provided on Burn's website should work.

I have burned a hundred DVDs using VIDEO_TS folders that I have authored myself and they play just fine. Although I use other burning software on a Windows machine, there is no reason why OSX software can't perform the same task correctly too.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Nov 2011 at 09:22. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all for you help.

I used ffmpegx to create a img file of the folder created from the Mactheripper program.

i used disk utility to burn the dvd.img file that created a DVD named DVD_MOVIE and it is playing, no problems.

Thank you,
    Quote Quote  
  11. How to make a DVD that will play on dvd players?
    simple answer is you must have valid dvd compliant mpeg video+audio stream.
    once you have valid mpg stream for any DVD Authoring s/ws like DVD Studio Pro or Free SmallDVD will produce DVD that will be played flawless in any DVD Player.

Here is DVD Video Specs on VideoHelp.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 23rd Nov 2011 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote