VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I edit video in Premiere Pro CS5

The captured video that Im working with comes originally from an hi-8 camcorder (PAL). The material was then edited on an analog desk onto a vhs-cassette (PAL) and then later transfered onto my harddrive via a Canopus ADVC55 set to "PAL".

In premiere Ive set the Sequence to DV PAL 4:3.

The result are black frame on the sides of the video and I dont know how to fix it!!

Ive edited around 2 hours of material and I really hope that theres an easy fix to this

//Anders
    Last edited by garylanders; 22nd Nov 2011 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here is a frame from the video
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PDOL.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	9737  

Last edited by garylanders; 22nd Nov 2011 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It looks like you need to crop the black borders from the video.

This YouTube video may help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEdoWgRQVc
    Skip forward to 1m40s.

Also, have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/bukqskp
    Last edited by mike20021969; 22nd Nov 2011 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's best if you post a short sample of your source DV AVI file. A few seconds of something with a known aspect ratio would be best (a big ball, the tire of a car viewed directly from the side, etc.). This is important because editors and players will adjust for aspect ratio (maybe incorrectly if something is set wrong). For example, why is your image 720x480 when the source should be 720x576?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If done properly, SD PAL source will have black sides if displayed 4:3 (unstretched). The 4:3 video will be 702x576 inside a 720x576 (DV) or 704x576 (DVB broadcast) frame. There should not be any top/bottom letter boxing but Hi8 will show head switch noise at the bottom of the frame.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's best if you post a short sample of your source DV AVI file. A few seconds of something with a known aspect ratio would be best (a big ball, the tire of a car viewed directly from the side, etc.). This is important because editors and players will adjust for aspect ratio (maybe incorrectly if something is set wrong). For example, why is your image 720x480 when the source should be 720x576?
    Sorry, that was my mistake. I had the export-settings for pictures all wrong. Here's a new correct export with the right pixel aspect ratio..
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	720x576_1_094Pix.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	9755  

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    If done properly, SD PAL source will have black sides if displayed 4:3 (unstretched). The 4:3 video will be 702x576 inside a 720x576 (DV) or 704x576 (DVB broadcast) frame. There should not be any top/bottom letter boxing but Hi8 will show head switch noise at the bottom of the frame.
    Ok, that seems to be right but can I fix this somehow?

I read that you can crop 18 pixels from the video (can this be done i cs5? I only see % in the crop tool) and then export the video to 768x576, is this correct?

To sum it up; Ive got 2 hours of edited video in a timeline in premiere, Ive got it in 720x576 and my plan was to use Dynamic Link to transfer it to Encore and burn a PAL-DVD. Can I get rid of the black lines easily or should I just forget about it and hope that most tv's wont show the black bars because Im not going to edit the video all over again

//Anders
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by garylanders View Post
    Can I get rid of the black lines easily or should I just forget about it and hope that most tv's wont show the black bars
    If watching on a widescreen TV, the footage will be pillarboxed anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're making a DVD the frame size must be 720 or 704 pixels wide. If you crop down to 704 the black borders will be very narrow. You won't see them on TV either way -- they will be hidden by overscan.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for all your help! The dvd looks fine on my tv, as you said.

//Anders
    Quote Quote