VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there set-top DVD recorders out there that also record in DivX format, or is that something that's mainly done on computers?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Are there set-top DVD recorders out there that also record in DivX format, or is that something that's mainly done on computers?
    There are none like that. DVD recorders are designed to record DVD-compatible video and audio, nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the info. Too bad there are no recorders like that on the market.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are & I have one. It's a Panasonic E500. It records in several MPG (divx) formats. Very rare machine & expensive too. 400 gig HD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    There are & I have one. It's a Panasonic E500. It records in several MPG (divx) formats. Very rare machine & expensive too. 400 gig HD.
    I read the write-up on that unit and the mpeg4 is an additional record (together with the standard dvd format mpeg2) intened to be transfered to other devices. And, the quote the blurb, "at a lower quality"

Can the mpeg4 file be played direct to the tv from the unit?

I suspect that Panasonic discontinued this feature after this machine which is several years old now.

So the answer to the OP's question is that there are no current model dvd recorders that can record in mpeg4
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, but the OP just wants to know if there is any one that can do it & mine can. But I do'nt use that feature. Also, this dvd recorder can connect to the computer.

I think the best approach is probably to use a laptop & make it your ow DVR. There is a big website for it. byopvr.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Yes, but the OP just wants to know if there is any one that can do it & mine can. But I do'nt use that feature. Also, this dvd recorder can connect to the computer.

I think the best approach is probably to use a laptop & make it your ow DVR. There is a big website for it. byopvr.com
    Although divx is an MPEG-4 codec, not all MPEG-4 files qualify as divx. The OP wanted to buy a DVD recorder that records in divx format, and the Panasonic E500 apparently doesn't record in divx format. According to the manual, it records in MPEG-4 at 320x240 resolution, and does not play divx files. Even if it recorded in an acceptable flavor of MPEG-4 and a better resolution, what good is a recommendation for device that has not been produced since 2005, and is virtually impossible to find used?

Desktops are better for a dedicated DVR. Laptops are not a good choice for a use where they are left on or in standby most of the time. byopvr has an active forum but otherwise that site is hopelessly out-of-date.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2011 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, divx is not mpeg4 and even mpeg4 is not H264.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually_quiet. Please tell me why laptops aren't a good choice for DVR use. I am just going to buy the Magnavox DVD recorder that has a 500gb hard drive built into it for my DVR use. Still, i am interested to know why laptops are not good for this purpose. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Usually_quiet. Please tell me why laptops aren't a good choice for DVR use. I am just going to buy the Magnavox DVD recorder that has a 500gb hard drive built into it for my DVR use. Still, i am interested to know why laptops are not good for this purpose. Thanks!
    Laptops overheat more readily than desktops.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I tried using TMPG dvd author that can capture/encode direct from firewire to divx on a computer but the result was not impressive, divx seems to need hi bitrate to be watchable on big screen TV's.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote