VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I recently purchased and set up a Hauppauge HD PVR to capture from my Xbox. No problems whatsoever with setup. My issue is with the resulting .MP4 files that are captured by Arcsoft Total Media Extreme.

Viewing the file properties in Windows 7 indicates that the resolution of the video is 1280 x 720, exactly what I want. Windows Media Player plays everything correctly. However, when opened in other media players (VLC, Quicktime), I get a 720 x 480 video. These players only displays the top left corner of my captured video (I assume the top 720 x 480 block).

Mediainfo says this about the file:

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : 3GPP Media Release 4
    Codec ID : 3gp4
    File size : 95.9 MiB
    Duration : 1mn 39s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 112 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-11-16 22:32:16
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-11-16 22:32:16

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1mn 39s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 7 927 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Original width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Original height : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 59.940 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 59.887 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 60.006 fps
    Standard : NTSC

Anyone have any ideas as to why this might occur, and if I can do anything to prevent the odd resolution situation?

*EDIT*: I should add that I am not using any sort of video editor right now. This is the video file generated by TME immediately after finishing the capture.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I'm having the exact same problem capturing with MP4 in TME, but if I capture with TS or M2TS the problem doesn't happen.

I have a lot of video that I captured using MP4 with TME and been looking for a fix but haven't found anything yet as some of my videos I can no longer get.

Hope to find something!

Regards,
    Adrian
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Well I contacted ArcSoft and basically told me the video clip I sent them works fine in ShowBiz 3.5 and to re-encode all my original MP4s recorded with the HDPVR with ShowBiz and it will correct the problem.

Not the response I wanted, I have over 80 videos that are at least 2 hrs long - that will take forever!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Hauppauge Colossus. It's in the same family as uses the same chipsets as the HDPVR. I love the card and this is not a problem for me, but one of the dirty little secrets about it is that MP4 captures do not always work correctly. Weird things happen when you capture to MP4 with this family of products. It will take more time, but if you capture in TS format (this seems to work best) you can remux your captures after the fact to MP4 containers and they should be fine. Yes, you should use ShowBiz as other products may not work completely correctly with the card. I suppose you can try MP4 captures with ShowBiz, but my warning stands - we've had several posts here that say that MP4 captures are buggy and TS works correctly with ShowBiz. I don't remember the story with M2TS captures.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks jman98, I did a test recording with .TS and the frame size is correct when using VLC and Mirillis SplashPro EX media players. I am going to continue recording in .TS instead and remux to MP4 like you suggested.

My only problem is now how to I fix all my previous MP4 recordings that have 720x480 instead of the actual correct 1280x720 frame size?
    As with BoneKin, mediainfo shows the following with my old MP4 recordings:
    Width : 720 pixels
    Original width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Original height : 720 pixels

Do you know of any way to fix the width and height without re-encoding?

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using YAMB 2.0 to demux into raw format and remux into MP4 fixes the problem with my old MP4 recordings without re-encoding - YES!! Only takes about 5-10 mins.
    Quote Quote