VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This player can play almost all formats from the front USB port, but only from a flash drive, not from an external hard drive.

Good news, apparently, this player supports streaming from DLNA media server, that can be installed on your PC.
    Other Sony players may also have this functionality (you won't find much on this in their user guide).

You can read about DLNA stuff here - on wiki.

I have successfully configured Serviio 0.6 (http://www.serviio.org/) on my PC to stream media to BDP-BX37 player. So far tested playing avi and mp4 formats. Music can also be streamed to the player.

Have player connected to your home network (LAN, in my case), then proceed to start Serviio on your PC - it will "discover" the player on the network and player should display Serviio (along with your PC's name) in the list of the network media sources (where you usually see Youtube, Netflix etc).

Enjoy...
    Last edited by HellBell; 4th Dec 2011 at 09:43. Reason: The proper player model is BDP-BX37
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sony actually makes a BluRay player with useful functionality for consumers? You can knock me over with a feather. I am stunned.

But seriously thank you for providing this information as I do not believe this is well known and I'm sure many would like to know this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hellbell - I tried your exact set-up.....the bx38 connected through LAN and then installed serviio. serviio lists an "unrecognized" device showing up with the yellow dot and my bluray isn't displaying serviio in its list of medio sources. any idea what the problem might be?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. i also checked the bx38 user manual and it doesn't mention dlna compatible.... are you sure this is your model?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got my Sony BX-37 recognizing TVersity and Windows Media Connect DLNA servers. Haven't tried Serviio yet.

Also the PC's on the net see the the DLNA servers via WMP/WMC (Win7/Vista only) or Windows Home Server Connect (all Windows machines). Also my Onkyo TS-NR609 receiver sees the files but only plays audio files not video files.

I haven't gotten around to configuring the Mac and Linux machines for DLNA but I'd expect they will work. All machines see the WHS shares.

I have everything connected Cat6. The problem with TVersity is it insists on bit rate reducing high bit rate HD files even though the network is adequate. I can stream those directly as network shares to PCs but not to the Blu-Ray player.

PS: Looks like Serviio DLNA server would reach the Mac and Linux machines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Dec 2011 at 15:10.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by trinity2 View Post
    hellbell - I tried your exact set-up.....the bx38 connected through LAN and then installed serviio. serviio lists an "unrecognized" device showing up with the yellow dot and my bluray isn't displaying serviio in its list of medio sources. any idea what the problem might be?

thanks
    The Serviio may list many weird devices on the LAN as potential "clients", my other router and VOIP phone get listed. However Sony player should be listed properly. Check if the IP address listed indeed points to the player. You may have some windows firewall issue if Serviio does not properly see the player (which must be on before Serviio attempts to find it).
    Quote Quote