VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Why is it made so that you can directly delete tracks from inside an mkv container file, and you have to extract and repackage the mkv? Isn't it kind of annoying or is there something I'm missing and what I'm asking can be done directly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why you would be extracting the tracks and then repackage. In Tsmuxer or MKVmerge all you have to do is load the file and deselect the tracks you don't want and save top a new file.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yep that's what i did after i posted this message. I used mkvmerge. Its just that i kept reading messages where people suggested to use mkvcleaner or mkvextractgui to first extract the needed tracks and then repackage them and that got me confused.

Anyway i would also like to note that mkvmerge takes to long. It took like 20 minutes for 3x4gb files. IS it going to take that long every time i need to insert a subtitle track? This time i used it so i could also remove a foreign language audio track, but to just insert a sub track isn't worth it, if it takes that much time...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It took like 20 minutes for 3x4gb files.
    How long would you consider to be a reasonable time?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Anyway i would also like to note that mkvmerge takes to long. It took like 20 minutes for 3x4gb files.
    I tested a 6 gig file removed and audio track and added a subtitle track, completed in 94 seconds. Was the PC doing anything else at the time?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow what kind of computer do you have? I have an ssd with 500/400 read/write so its definitely not due to drive activity. Does it need a lot of cpu to package the mkv?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for best performance you need 2 physical drives. a drive to read from and a drive to write. mkvmerge has always been fast here, runs at drive i/o speeds. ~130MB/s
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have mentioned a number of times in different topics that I have 4 Seagate media players and de-selecting items in a MKV is always hit or miss re: playbackwith all of them. So, I always de-mux and remux and never have a problem. I also have a Western Digital media player and it doesn't care. Put stuff in...take stuff out.. still plays. Takes longer to load these files but they always play.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. Actually i forgot that i was reading/writing to a usb drive, so thus why the speeds must have been not up to par. I guess if source was on SSD and target is external usb times will be greater. BTW do you guys know how i could split to 4GB files from mkvmerge?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usb 1&2 data transfer speed sucks, writing especially.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    A BTW do you guys know how i could split to 4GB files from mkvmerge?
    Click the global tab, and click enable splitting, you can spit after a certain size or after a certain time duration.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes you're right. Set it to a safe 4000M size. A couple of last questions so that this topic can conclude. I used split mkv to split my mkvs into 4GB files. I noticed that when i repackages files with subtitles they contained even less size than before. Not much but still what change that even with added subtitles they resulted in less size?

Also I read a compatibility issue with standalone players and the solution was to disable header compression. What is header compression and is this the reason my new mkv have now less size than before?
    Quote Quote