VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently use a Zenith D to A tuner connected to a Panasonic DVD recorder.
    Does anyone have one connected to a PVR that uses a HDD.
    If so, can a PC be used to open and edit the video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a rule, all the recordings stored on a DVD recorder's HDD are encrypted. The recorder's file system could be proprietary or some variant of Linux too.

The fact that you are using a DTA converter box as the source makes no difference. If you couldn't get recordings off the HDD using a PC before you started using a DTA converter, you won't be able to do it now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't actually have a PVR/DVR, but the fact that encryption is used does put a fly in that ointment.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very few of the old ones could do what you are asking. Some would allow a direct connection from the recorder to the computer but they were always rare. A few you could pull the HDD out of and edit on the computer. There seem to be some models of Dishnetwork receivers that still allow this I have found out, but only standard definition. No High Def at all. It's become a complicated world...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    I don't actually have a PVR/DVR, but the fact that encryption is used does put a fly in that ointment.
    DVRs that are not DVD recorders nearly always encrypt their HDD recordings too. As far as I know only TiVo has software available that will allow transferring recordings (that are marked "copy freely" but not "copy once") from the HDD to a PC. I'm not sure what models support the feature, or how much TiVo charges for the software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would video that is coming in as analog have flags?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would video that is coming in as analog have flags?
    Yes, it may contain CGMS-A copy protection flags, but free over-the-air TV is nearly always marked "copy freely". Cable and satellite TV programming may be marked "copy once" or "copy never".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...but copy freely or not, it's encrypted on the HDD and anyway not accessible from a PC?
    Seems to scupper that idea.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...but copy freely or not, it's encrypted on the HDD and anyway not accessible from a PC?
    Seems to scupper that idea.
    Yes, that is the case for any recent brand-name DVR I know of. There may be some craptastic off-brand ebay-only import that doesn't encrypt HDD recordings, but I have not heard anything good about that kind of device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not an issue if you record direct to a PC with PVR software using ATSC/QAM tuners combined with analog recording off cable/sat boxes. Complex but it works.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 for direct ATSC recording using a PC. I am very pleased using that option, although not many ATSC PC TV tuners are as good as those found in TVs or the best DTA converter boxes.

I don't know if they have been addressed now that Canada has converted to ATSC, but Canadians have historically encountered some problems using Windows Media Center for ATSC. NPVR/NextPVR could work better, if that is the still case, but I don't know what kind of reliable guide service is available for Canada.

QAM is of little use in Canada because cable providers are not legally required to provide any unencrypted channels.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I record to the PC using two tuner cards.
    Initially WMC did not recognize that I had three ATSC tuners, but the free version of TunerSalad fixed that.
    The guide is not a problem inasmuch as I am close to the border and use a Detroit zip code for setup.

I use my DVD recorder fed by a D/A converter as my fourth source - the dearth of standalone recorders is the reason I'm . looking for a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Not an issue if you record direct to a PC with PVR software using ATSC/QAM tuners combined with analog recording off cable/sat boxes. Complex but it works.
    That's what I do.

GB-PVR for ATSC
    Hauppage HD-PVR for everything else

The DTV part is straightforward. Just Connect the DTV antenna to your capture card, install a PVR (like GB-PVR), get the schedules from Schedules Direct, scan for channels, then use the TV Guide to schedule recordings.

The HD-PVR can be fed from an automatic switcher, or directly, run the USB cable to your PC, and you're all set.

Then get a network media player hooked up to your TV and use the file browser to get to your shows.

Then smile like a Cheshire Cat when you dump your rented equipment, add Netflix with the savings, and maybe even just dump whatever Dish or Cable you have, get faster internet, then watch YouTube on the big screen TV, listen to Pandora for free, get the news and other free stuff from the Netflix Roku box, and live in the new world!
    Quote Quote