VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD recorder that i just bought used at Salvation Army Thrift Store. It has the convention IN and OUT coaxial jacks on the back that VCR's do, but for some reason, i still need a RF modulator to operate it. Anyone know why? It's kinda silly, if you ask me. I have a DVD player that has NO coaxial jacks, and i have to use an RF modulator, but you would think that a recorder that has coaxial jacks would hook up just like a VCR, wouldn't you? Anyone know why companies made dvd recorders equipped with said coaxial jacks and you still need an RF modulator to operate it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A make/model number would help.

By "coax" you mean an F connector?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a Panasonic DMR-E55 recorder. I am talking the coaxial jacks, like the one marked "IN" for the antenna, and the one marked "OUT" that goes to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You only need the RF pluged in to recode the TV channels, i have the same model and it works without them (scart lead), if your just watching dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unlike a VCR, only a very few DVD recorders have the ability to output what they are playing on channel 3 or 4 or allow you to see anything coming in from one of its line inputs on channell 3 or 4. The RF out for almost all DVD recorders is only a pass-through for the RF in, which allows the TV to to tune channels itself as if it were connected to the cable from the wall or from your antenna.

You have to connect a line out from the DVD recorder to TV to watch a DVD or see anything coming into the DVD recorder from one of its line inputs. If the TV only has a coax connection and does not have a composite, S-Video, or component connection, then you have to use an RF modulator.

[Edit] I can't say why this was done other than coax provides the worst quality picture and audio, and except for some vert old models, DVD players don't use coax for output either. Adding an internal RF modulator to the unit would also increase its production costs by a small amount.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Nov 2011 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First observation, your location says United States and this appears to be a PAL model. Here is the manual.
    http://www.hollywoodstudiorentals.com/uploads/030708__Panasonic_-_DMR-E55%5B1%5D.pdf

Does yours have the SCART connectors?

If it is the USA model, Here is the manual.
    http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/panasonic/dmre55_1_2_3.html?idRes=119173

The RF (tuner in) port needs set up for band and channels.

The RF out should has this notice in the manual
    Name:  E55-RFout.png
Views: 1304
Size:  16.7 KB

If you want to know why ask Panasonic.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. usually_quiet has your answer: it has always been this way, most DVD-related gear dropped the RF out modulator many years ago. The conceit probably being, "the entire point of DVD is superior video quality, which you will contaminate if we give you an RF Out feature, so we won't, and too bad if you have an old television with no line inputs: buy a new one already."

Most DVD players since 2001, and virtually all DVD recorders, do not have RF output of the unit's own signals: the RF connections are simply there as passthrough for your antenna or cable wire. I ran up against this problem with one of my old CRT televisions made by Proton: beautiful picture on that TV, even after 25 years, but its line inputs never worked right leaving RF the only viable input option. To use this TV with DVD players and recorders, I had to go buy an outboard RF modulator to connect between DVD line outs and TV RF input. If you cannot or do not want to use line inputs with your TV, you'll need one of these outboard RF modulators. They're very cheap on eBay, or about $20 at chain stores like Radio Shack or Best Buy.

Any DMR-E55 found in a USA thrift store is going to be the USA model with RG59 coax screwposts, there was little to no availability here for the PAL/NTSC version until Panasonic discontinued the E55 American model and replaced it with the grey import model EH-56. Easiest way to identify your Panasonic is to look at the front panel or remote and see if there is a "TVGOS" or "TV Guide On Screen" logo: if so, its the American version. The PAL versions have the "Guide+" logo, or no additional logo at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Any DMR-E55 found in a USA thrift store is going to be the USA model with RG59 coax screwposts, there was little to no availability here for the PAL/NTSC version until Panasonic discontinued the E55 American model and replaced it with the grey import model EH-56. Easiest way to identify your Panasonic is to look at the front panel or remote and see if there is a "TVGOS" or "TV Guide On Screen" logo: if so, its the American version. The PAL versions have the "Guide+" logo, or no additional logo at all.
    I agree with the rest of your post Orsetto but you've confused the HDD less '04 E55 with the '06 HDD EH-55, something easy to do The E55 has no TVGOS but is meant for the US market, although it my have also been made in a PAL market also.

As UQ said and Orsetto reiterated, the only reason for the RF out is for passthru to your TV or other DVDRs. Even most tunerless DVDRs have coax IN/OUT which really makes no sense to me. I can see it in a device like the E55 that has a tuner but why bother with coax IN/OUT for something that doesn't even have a tuner
    Combo DVDRs(ones with VHS) mostly seem to have a built in RF modulator but never really DVDRs only.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    I agree with the rest of your post Orsetto but you've confused the HDD less '04 E55 with the '06 HDD EH-55, something easy to do The E55 has no TVGOS but is meant for the US market, although it my have also been made in a PAL market also.
    I stand corrected, as you are the archiver of all things Panasonic! I am quite shocked to learn there was an E55 before the EH55: I thought the model lineup of the "E but no H" series went directly from E50 to E80. I never saw an E55 but have seen many E50s, EH50s, and EH55s. Is the E55 very uncommon compared to the others?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes the E55 was a '04 model while the EH-55 was '06. The E50 and E80H(no E80 at least in the US) were both '03 models.
    Actually I've seen more E55s than any other DVDR on Craigslist. I'm always looking for '05 and newer Panasonics but always seem to see the '04 E55 which I'm not interested in.
    The E55 was '04's entry level model and it's my guess people were looking for the cheapest alternative to VCRs so it may have sold well. That or no one wants them anymore so they tend to stay listed long after other more popular models would have sold.
    Quote Quote