VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27
FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello!
    LOVE your app, it's great!

I was wondering if you are going to roll in a HEVC support anytime soon. There are a lot of videos starting to pop up in this format. I'm far from being a tech genie, is it even possible to use h.265 in an MP4 file that will play on iPad, mac and stuff? Or do they only support h.264?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by dakon720 View Post
    Default state is to copy.
    @dakon720

A belated Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks very much for releasing this great utility.

With more and more content becoming available in H.265 format I was hoping you could add a .265 decoding feature to the next version or update.

My WDTV units cannot decode .265 so I will have the need to convert content from that to H.264 for now. I'm sure others must be experiencing the same issue.

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'm getting this error when using the script "Error - 2 input names specified, please check usage". Any idea what went wrong? Thanks.

Full log: http://pastebin.com/F3gQe4uz
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Quick question to the experts out there -- I've been using this tool for quite a while and have been VERY happy with it. And my apologies in advance if this question has been answered previously: I realize that this tool is great for keeping video "as is" without re-encoding. But is there any setting in the software to make sure that the AUDIO is not encoded (in my case, it's 2 channel AAC)?

I see there's a checkbox for AAC and an AAC Multichannel and AAC 2.0 settings to choose from.

Anyway, how do I ensure that the audio is also left untouched?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can do it globally through the settings...

Enter setup, choose the audio tab, and right under AAC there is a check box to enable/disable AAC.

Alternately you can do it on a per file basis. Once you have loaded the file, It will list the tracks in the bottom pane. If you haven't already, enable edit mode (pencil icon on the right side of the bottom pane), and double click the audio track after that. It should bring up the encoding properties for that track, you can enable/disable, etc.

PS - You can set it to automatically enter edit mode each time you load a file....Setup>Tags>check the box to enable mp4 edit mode when loading file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dakon720 View Post
    You can do it globally through the settings...

Enter setup, choose the audio tab, and right under AAC there is a check box to enable/disable AAC.

Alternately you can do it on a per file basis. Once you have loaded the file, It will list the tracks in the bottom pane. If you haven't already, enable edit mode (pencil icon on the right side of the bottom pane), and double click the audio track after that. It should bring up the encoding properties for that track, you can enable/disable, etc.

PS - You can set it to automatically enter edit mode each time you load a file....Setup>Tags>check the box to enable mp4 edit mode when loading file.
    Thanks for the quick response Dakon720!

OK -- I'm just confused about that particular global setting -- if I *uncheck* the box next to AAC in the global settings, does that mean that the existing AAC tracks will be left untouched? (Which is exactly what I want!)

My tests seem to indicate that I'm not getting any audio at all in my result file if I uncheck the AAC box. So, what's the proper setting for AAC passthrough/no re-encode?
    Last edited by scott_bernstein; 6th Nov 2015 at 13:10. Reason: Additional info
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, just had a chance to respond. If you are wanting passthru, leave the AAC enabled, choose either AAC 2.0 or AAC Multichannel. (important to note for passthru it has to be same encoding as the source). When loading the file, it should list the different tracks, and for the audio track, you should see green writing that says...

Output: AAC without encoding

That means it will just add the track as is.

PS - Wow, I totally missed the (in my case, it's 2 channel AAC) part. By default it should passthru AAC 2.0!! I'd mess with the settings, or just reset them to default.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1869
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	34366  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1837
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	34367  

Last edited by dakon720; 8th Nov 2015 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  9. First of all thank you for your awesome software.
    It would be nice if you could help me to get the arcsoft dts decoder working.
    Althoght I installed the latest Quicktime but it is not detected by your software.
    Thank You!!!

Excuse me for my bad english
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great App

I have 8000 TV episodes I would like to normalize. I have been searching for an app to help me.
    MP4Gain doesn't seem to work and it doesn't retain tags.
    MKVtoMP4 seems to d the job but I have found two issues:

1. I would prefer it to retain the same name as the source but even when it saves in a different directory, it adds the suffice "_new" to each file name. I will have to go through and rename each and every file after normalisation unless there is a way to change this

2. When I add files, I have to click the "Edit" to change to edit mode for each file in the queue. I want to edit them all with the default settings. Most of the files use AAC so it does not seem to chose Edit automatically. It would be great if the files could pick up the defaults as the files re added, or be able to change the edit mode for all selected files simultaneously and apply the encode option for AAC instead of one by one. Or is there a way to do this?

Or is there a command line interface when I can pass these parameters?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jmac88 View Post
    Great App

I have 8000 TV episodes I would like to normalize.

1. I would prefer it to retain the same name as the source but even when it saves in a different directory, it adds the suffice "_new" to each file name. I will have to go through and rename each and every file after normalisation unless there is a way to change this?
    I guess you have them on a Linux based system? In that case, you can use the rename function. Also, you can use filebot to rename/sort all your files to:
    {series name}/seriesName_S00E00_1080p_episodeName.avi +++
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. Not Linux. All on Windows. There are heaps of renaming programs. That's not really the point. Not sure why MKVtoMP4 has to add the suffix "new". Most programs give the choice to overwrite, (i.e. same name) or save to another directory (same name) or save a copy in the same directory (suffix added.) Not sure why this is hardcoded in. Why rename 8000 files when one doesn't need to!!

Just thought there may be a way to avoid this if necessary.
    All files are perfectly named and fully tagged for iTunes and Plex. I'm happy to recreate the folder structure but would have preferred not to rename. Also, to run renaming across all 8000 is less of a bother than to do it bit by bit as the files are processed. I would typically run the replay gain series by series and check all is OK before doing the next ones. So that menas running renaming each time a batch finishes.

The name issue is far less of an issue than having to click Edit on each file and check the AAC Encode on each file. Not sure why that was ever necessary. it takes a few seconds when I click on Edit. So loading a season of 24 episodes will take a while in itself.

MKVtoMP4 is by far the closed solution to normalising MP4 video files. Not sure why tagging is included as there a a few excellent tagging programs. Bet to focus on what is not available elsewhere. Batch processing of audio conversion, normalising and DRC. It seems to me that the only things missing from these are the two things mentioned. With those, this would be a killer app for anyone wanting to get the audio fixed on their MP4 and MKV files. The only alternatives are:

MP4Gain which doesn't work, is not supported at all, costs $40 and doesn't bring over tags (and probably subtitles also)

VideoGain which does work but doesn't bring over tags and looses the name of the audio track which is critical if you have more than one track or use different languages and need to select.

Does anyone know if this great program is still supported and developed. Its should be. Add these features. Don't worry about tagging as Metax does a great job of that and focus on batch processing of MKV to MP4 and audio track conversion and normalisation.

Being able to add files recursively would be great too. Just load a folder and all subfolders.

Could do what MetaX does and charge $10 or $15. The program is so useful I doubt anyone would complain about paying $10-15 bucks. Its worth every cent.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jmac88 View Post
    No. Not Linux. All on Windows. There are heaps of renaming programs. That's not really the point. Not sure why MKVtoMP4 has to add the suffix "new". Most programs give the choice to overwrite, (i.e. same name) or save to another directory (same name) or save a copy in the same directory (suffix added.) Not sure why this is hardcoded in. Why rename 8000 files when one doesn't need to!!

Just thought there may be a way to avoid this if necessary.
    All files are perfectly named and fully tagged for iTunes and Plex. I'm happy to recreate the folder structure but would have preferred not to rename. Also, to run renaming across all 8000 is less of a bother than to do it bit by bit as the files are processed. I would typically run the replay gain series by series and check all is OK before doing the next ones. So that menas running renaming each time a batch finishes.

The name issue is far less of an issue than having to click Edit on each file and check the AAC Encode on each file. Not sure why that was ever necessary. it takes a few seconds when I click on Edit. So loading a season of 24 episodes will take a while in itself.

MKVtoMP4 is by far the closed solution to normalising MP4 video files. Not sure why tagging is included as there a a few excellent tagging programs. Bet to focus on what is not available elsewhere. Batch processing of audio conversion, normalising and DRC. It seems to me that the only things missing from these are the two things mentioned. With those, this would be a killer app for anyone wanting to get the audio fixed on their MP4 and MKV files.
    (...)
    Does anyone know if this great program is still supported and developed. Its should be. Add these features. Don't worry about tagging as Metax does a great job of that and focus on batch processing of MKV to MP4 and audio track conversion and normalisation. (...)
    Looks like you're a perfectionist I don't really bother with any of this, but rather have my nas server transcode on demand (you never know what codecs the playback device can handle anyways). I really recommend using a nas with a powerful cpu (due to transcoding) as a media station.

I've had some issues with devices which are not DLNA compatible and where I have to go through the PLEX/ds video station web interface though. In those cases, I have some issues as I don't think the transcoding kicks in. So I thought I might give this app a shot. Personally I'd use the rename function in linux to fix the name thing. Would be as simple as "rename new. . *". Don't know if they have something similar in windows, but if you can code, its also quite easy to fix.

Not sure if there is going to be an update in a while though. Looks like it was created a long time ago as an experimental and educational side project, and that the person behind it is currently busy with other things.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are probably right. And i am a perfectionist. Transcoding is too much hassle and we are all ios devices and apple TV so MP4 is ideal. No heavy CPU needed, can sync to ios devices and take on planes. Its just so much easier. Even windows Media now supports IOS. Many things do not support MKV and the only two main standards are MKV and MP4.

Renaming is not a big issue. It can easily be solved. Its just annoying.
    But the edit issue is really annoying. However, this app is so much better than the others I can currently find as it does package up a fully ready and workable file. It will just take me weeks to process all my files instead of a few days. - And a great deal more of my time rather than just the PCs time.

I'm still hoping that someone can take this over instead of seeing the app become obsolete!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jmac88 View Post
    I'm still hoping that someone can take this over instead of seeing the app become obsolete!!
    Hmm... They would have to release the source. And from what I gather, they sell services related to this (and probably the source is intertwined and not ex-tractable from all their other code).

As for replacing the "new" keyword, it is quite easy in c#:

static void RemoveTheNewKeyWord() {
    List<string> objFiles = new List<string>(Directory.GetFiles(@"c:\Temp", "*", SearchOption.AllDirectories));
    foreach(string s in objFiles){
    //First argument is the source, second destination.
    File.Move(s,s.Replace("new","") );
    }
    }
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Damn. Too bad the project stopped.
    The default eac3to .exe is too old for handling the new audio codecs (Atmos TrueHD, for example).
    Is it safe to overwrite the binaries on the Tools folder? I think mkvtomp4 doesn't check the version before it starts transcoding.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hey guys. I love this app but when I convert MKV to MP4 and add an SRT subtitle track the subtitles are tiny (barely readable). Anyone else have this problem? I am using VLC as my media player.

thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    amazing tool , i love it
    may i know what is not listed in the software -> video converters?

i guess it's the only tool able to "Change the container to Mp4 without transcoding video" around ,isn't it?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not true, avidemux, ffmpeg, handbrake, dvdcatalyst, etc. Any program that can support the input container, copy the streams, and output as mp4. This tool does however simplify it very well. Some may have never tried, but MkvtoMP4 supports input containers other than just than MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not true, avidemux, ffmpeg, handbrake, dvdcatalyst, etc. Any program that can support the input container, copy the streams, and output as mp4. This tool does however simplify it very well. Some may have never tried, but MkvtoMP4 supports input containers other than just than MKV.
    hi
    i tried with avidemux , but how can i do it?
    import the mkv and ? what settings should i use?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pretty sure it defaults to the settings you need to mux a file.

Load the MKV
    Video Output = Copy
    Audio Output = Copy
    Output Format = MP4 Muxer (or whatever format you are wanting, assuming the new container supports the streams)

When I say MKVtoMP4 simplifies the process, one thing it does is change the incoming stream to one supported by the mp4 or m4v container ( typically the audio stream). For the most part it does this automatically. In that respect MKVtoMP4 is unique that I know of.

In an MP4, you can store MPEG-4 video created by ffmpeg or x264.
    It stores audio in the AAC format. It is also possible to pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (AC3) audio in an MP4 file.
    MP4 also supports chapters.
    MP4 also is capable of storing Variable Frame Rate video.
    The MP4 format can also be optimized for "fast start" progressive downloads over the Web.
    It can also include "soft" text subtitles that can be turned on or off, instead of always being hard burned into the video frames.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pretty sure it defaults to the settings you need to mux a file.

Load the MKV
    Video Output = Copy
    Audio Output = Copy
    Output Format = MP4 Muxer (or whatever format you are wanting, assuming the new container supports the streams)
    thanks a lot
    i did a test
    i have the option mp4v2muxer too

When I say MKVtoMP4 simplifies the process, one thing it does is change the incoming stream to one supported by the mp4 or m4v container ( typically the audio stream). For the most part it does this automatically. In that respect MKVtoMP4 is unique that I know of.

In an MP4, you can store MPEG-4 video created by ffmpeg or x264.
    It stores audio in the AAC format. It is also possible to pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (AC3) audio in an MP4 file.
    MP4 also supports chapters.
    MP4 also is capable of storing Variable Frame Rate video.
    The MP4 format can also be optimized for "fast start" progressive downloads over the Web.
    It can also include "soft" text subtitles that can be turned on or off, instead of always being hard burned into the video frames.
    hi
    I see , really a great tool !

thanks for the explanation
    Quote Quote  
  24. MkvtoMP4 is a quick way IF the audio is MP4 compatible. The only reason for you to repack into mp4 is compatibility right? So what if the mkv has x264 video (ok) and MP3 audio(not ok) Then FFMpeg is the better choice.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, MP4s are almost exclusively for compatibility, at least in my case anyway. I prefer MKVs, but MP4s give a very broad range of devices. MKVs are catching up slowly but surely, despite how long they've been around!!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hi guys!

While I love this tool, it is getting more and more obsolete without updates. 4K films are catching on quick, and most arrive in either huge files (30GB+) or h265 in regular sizes (under 6GB usually).

This needs to be updated to support h265 quickly or it will disappear I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
  27. native support for h265 in MP4 container is still not that wide in my opinion, maybe that's why MkvToMp4 doesn't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  28. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Adithya View Post
    native support for h265 in MP4 container is still not that wide in my opinion,
    maybe that's why MkvToMp4 doesn't do that.
    OR perhaps because the author of MkvToMP4 simply does not care

HEVC encoders, decoders and muxers/demuxers have been publically-available since 2013

Originally Posted by Adithya View Post
    MkvtoMP4 is a quick way IF the audio is MP4 compatible. The only reason for you to repack into mp4 is compatibility right? So what if the mkv has x264 video (ok) and MP3 audio(not ok) Then FFMpeg is the better choice.
    MP3, MP2 and MP1 are allowed in the MP4 container. IF an application or media player is not entirely-compliant with the MP4 specs, that's another story.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The author hasn't updated the app since late 2014 that I know of...so don't hold your breath!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to everyone!

When I try to repack some MKV files (films) and I get mp4 files without sound.

The error is Eac3To: 3221225775 Video is alright.
    Quote Quote