VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a Laptop with ESATA for around $500 with a good processor. Are there any out there.
    My question is this: If I have an ESATA connection on my laptop, can I hook up an Internal blu ray burner that normally goes in a desktop (that uses ESATA for a connection)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    I am looking for a Laptop with ESATA for around $500 with a good processor. Are there any out there.
    My question is this: If I have an ESATA connection on my laptop, can I hook up an Internal blu ray burner that normally goes in a desktop (that uses ESATA for a connection)?
    I don't know what desktop will meet your needs, but there are some other things to consider.

You need to power the drive as well as provide a SATA data connection. Most laptops don't provide enough power from their USB ports to do that. There is such a thing as a eSATAp port, also known as a eSATA/USB combo port that is intended to do what you want to do, but with an internal laptop drive. You will also need a special eSATAp to eSATA data + SATA power adapter cable, and a caddy for the laptop drive. Internal laptop drives are not supposed to be used without some kind of enclosure to support and protect them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use PC Express cards in my laptop, which adds two eSATA ports.
    I also have a beefy 17" laptop, not some weak notebook meant for email/whatever.
    This is a portable desktop, to be honest.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dell studios did (last 2 yrs). Try the new one.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a pretty good processor in the laptop that I just bought (I have 7 more days to return it if I want). I have a Gateway NV57H44U with a i5 2430M Processor. I think the processor is strong enough, BUT The problem is that there is NO express port OR esata/usb port. So this would be no good to do what I want to do, correct?

James
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have a sony vaio with an i3 processor, 2.1 GHTZ. that DOES have an Esata spot. I don't know if the processor is strong enough though. It also has an express card slot too. I have upgraded it to 8GB memory RAM with 500GB HDD, but it does NOT play my HD video well. It stutters about 20% of the time. Where this new laptop Gateway that I just bought (i5 2430M processor), it plays my HD video Flawlessly.
    James
    Quote Quote