VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any SD DVD players that can play AVC codec? SD 720x480/576.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've heard of a small number that supported older versions of WMV but I've personally never heard of any that support AVC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are a small number of DVD players that can play AVC (BBK DMP1023HD for example). But they cost just as much as Blu-ray players, so I don't see why anyone would want to buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marlboro_man View Post
    There are a small number of DVD players that can play AVC (BBK DMP1023HD for example). But they cost just as much as Blu-ray players, so I don't see why anyone would want to buy it.
    BBK is sold in Russia and Ukraine so it's not much use to our original poster. I know you just posted it as an example so I just wanted to warn others that it's not something they're likely to find. A good question would be whether such players support high def resolutions of AVC as I suspect that the original poster probably doesn't have a lot of SD AVC files to watch. As a general rule DVD players don't support high def resolutions in non-DVD formats such as Divx. There are exceptions but in general it's true.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I googled the BBK I quickly learned it was Russian.

Actually it is SD DVD I'm interested in. I've been converting my 4:3 PAL DVD's to 16:9 using Nero Recode 4.8,now I can play them in my BR player but would like a SD player to play them in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Actually it is SD DVD I'm interested in. I've been converting my 4:3 PAL DVD's to 16:9 using Nero Recode 4.8,now I can play them in my BR player but would like a SD player to play them in.
    I don't understand why? Bluray players are well under $100 and with Black Friday coming up I saw an LG BD player for $49 http://bfads.net/Walmart-Black-Friday-LG-Bluray-Player . Since it will play both SD and AVCHD, why would you spend money on an SD player?
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I don't understand why? Bluray players are well under $100 and with Black Friday coming up I saw a LG BD player for $49 http://bfads.net/Walmart-Black-Friday-LG-Bluray-Player . Since it will play both SD and AVCHD, why would you spend money on an SD player?
    Also: Also toshiba for $39 of BF at BB http://bfads.net/Best-Buy-Black-Friday-Toshiba-WiFi-Ready-Bluray-Player On Amazon it says it plays AVCHD too.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So when is Black Friday? Is it today.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The day after Thanksgiving.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote