VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it OK to use a Sharpie to label CDs?

I see in the "Introduction and FAQ For Blank DVD Media" thread that the idea of Sharpies messing up a DVD is "a bad rumor from the CD days".

So, is it true (or was it true at one time, but not now?) for CDs, but not for DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ibzomie View Post
    Is it OK to use a Sharpie to label CDs?
    Yes.
    It's all I've ever used. CD and DVD.....never a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, used them for years with no problems. But one thing you should be aware of is the recording layer on a CD is right under the top surface. You can destroy it with a ballpoint pen or anything that scratches through the top surface. Keep a light touch. DVDs have a layer of polycarbonate over the layer, so they are much harder to damage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We've had this question before. I've been doing this for years like redwudz and never had a problem. However, SOME people here and at other forums insist that silver mirrored discs are intended for printing and have thinner protective layers than other discs and that such writing will eventually damage them. I've never seen any conclusive proof of this beyond a graphic that indicates how this "damage" is supposed to happen. Don't be surprised if this post gets responses from those people.
    Last edited by jman98; 9th Nov 2011 at 12:23. Reason: Fixed spelling error
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got CD's over 15+ years old that were originally marked by a Sharpie (a brand of felt tip permanent marker - not a sharp metal object that scratches the top layer) that play today like they were just burned.

I supposed that there are brands of felt tip markers out there that have chemicals in them that immediately damage the top layer, making them unplayable. However, I've never run across any of these, if they really do exist.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow, Haven't seen this topic for years Sharpie dot com says Yes!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to look up Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent markers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the recordable reflective top layer of a cd is coated on top of the plastic stamper disc, not sandwiched between 2 plastic discs like a dvd. old markers(the ones kids used to "sniff") contained solvents like toluene that could eat the top layer instantly. i don't think they are still around. sharpies have always been ok to use on cds.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!! DANGER!!!!

I read that the chemicals in a sharpie marker, when written on the metallic surface of a CDR could cause a chemical reaction that will cause an explosion!!!!!

Shrapnel & shards of high velocity plastic could result in death!!!!
    Or a severe hangnail!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe. stranger things happen. like pizza is now counted as a serving of vegetable in a school lunch :-\
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote