VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone, I will explain a little bit about my problem so you understand a little more to what am having trouble with.

I back up my movies into my external hardrive by ripping them using DVDFab 8 Qt. I like to rip them with all their Audios and subtitles so they are complete. I mux the audios and the subtitles with the video and everything is playable fine in VLC. I connect my external hard drive to a Samsung TV to watch these movies. The audios are selectable, I can change from one audio to the other one, but the subtitles doesn't appear. I've tested with SSA and SRT format but nothing works. I used AviAddXSub software to add the subtitles from IDX/SUB and those subtitles work with the TV however this program delays the audio by a few seconds. I try to fix this with AviMuxGui but the subtitles doesn't show up. My conclusion was that the TV only reads subpictures subtitles, but AviMuxGui doesn't support these files. Samsung representative said the TV supports .ttxt, .smi, .srt, .sub, .txt. As i said before i test SRT but didn't work, so is it possible that there's a format SRT that contains subpictures?

Is there a way to rip the subpictures from the original DVD/BD? and if so, which software could be use to Mux it to the video?

for BD i use H.264 and MKV
    for DVD i use H.264 and AVI

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've been using AviAddXSubs for several years. I haven't noticed it delaying the audio.

The other thing you can do with AviAddXSubs, instead of muxing the subtitles into the video, just have it produce idx/sub files and name them with the same base name as the video. For example if the video is movie.mkv name the subtitle files movie.idx and movie.sub. Make sure all 3 files are in the same folder. I have a WD HDTV for USB and I create external idx/sub files from .srt all the time. The WD player has very limited settings for .srt. But by using AviAddXSubs to create idx/sub I can control the position, font, font size, and border thickness of the letters.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    I've been using AviAddXSubs for several years. I haven't noticed it delaying the audio.

The other thing you can do with AviAddXSubs, instead of muxing the subtitles into the video, just have it produce idx/sub files and name them with the same base name as the video. For example if the video is movie.mkv name the subtitle files movie.idx and movie.sub. Make sure all 3 files are in the same folder. I have a WD HDTV for USB and I create external idx/sub files from .srt all the time. The WD player has very limited settings for .srt. But by using AviAddXSubs to create idx/sub I can control the position, font, font size, and border thickness of the letters.
    Thanks for your responce. I notice that error wasn't from AviAddXSubs, maybe there was an error while ripping the video and it delayed the audios . I tried leaving the IDS/SUB files with same name in same folder as the video but the movie wouldn't read it that way. Today i tried doing same but with an SRT file and it works with the TV. just one problem., I can't rename 3 diferent subtitle files the same as the movie. Is it possible to store 3 subtitles in 1 file? Anyways thanks for the info, will try the other formats that are supported.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can always rename them by adding corresponding language codes to the end of the files, just before the file extension. For example, rename the English subtitle file to Example.en.srt, Spanish to Example.es.srt, etc. If you have two subtitles of the same language, just use a random language code. Purpose of these codes is to display a language of the subtitle when changing it via remote. This method works on most of the DVD players.
    Last edited by Charmer; 9th Nov 2011 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can also try VobSubMuxer as noted on the page for Txt2VobSub
    http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareTxt2Vobsub.php?b2=1

The language code that Charmer suggested is easiest to try though.
    The older divx capable DVD players didn't like multiple languages in one idx/sub set. My Philips 5990s don't mind. I don't know about Samsung TV though.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah I see, Well i think i will stick with the IDX/SUB muxing by AviAddXSubs. thanks for all your help miles and charmer.
    Quote Quote