VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How important is HHD speed in editing? Is 7200 rpm enough? What advantage would I get with 10,000 rpm SAS drives vs SATA 7200rpms? Should I save my money and get the 7200 SATAs?
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The most important thing in any editing is cpu power with ram depending on what you are editing,hdd speed isn't an important factor,7200 rpm is good enough.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format are you editing? Most times the HDD speed doesn't have much affect on editing, more for encoding or capturing. If you were using raw video, multi-gigabyte files, it might help having a very fast HDD setup. But a 7200RPM SATA drive should work well enough for most everything else.

But you might give us a better idea of the type of video you are working with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    About the only time if seen issues with 7200RPM drives appearing to be "to slow" the drives were heavily fragmented. A defrag righted the issue straight away.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDV editing probably of SD. Maybe HD down the road. Nothing fancy. Just getting back into all this. I bought an HP XW8400 2X Dual Core Xeon 5160 3 Ghz 8Gb 296Gb SAS NVIDIA QUADRO FX 4600 768M GDDR3 PCIE and was considering selling the two 146 gig SAS drives. I have a couple of extra 250 gig SATA's. The system is still under HP warranty. The drives must be worth something. Should I keep them? I also have a third 10K 74 gig drive to throw in the mix maybe for operating system. The 8400 holds five drives. Will be running Windows 7 Pro 64. Sony Vegas Pro 11. System for editing only.
    Last edited by videobread; 6th Nov 2011 at 16:00.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote