VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently bought an LG BE12LU38 external Blu-ray rewriter. I have it connected to my PC using the eSATA interface. All of my BR rips come out extremely choppy, DVD is fine. I noticed, after buying it, that the system requirements call for a 3.2GHz or higher processor. The CPU on my PC is an AMD Sempron LE-1300, which is only 2.3 GHZ. Could this be my problem? I have tried using MakeMKV and DVDFab to rip the BRs to my PC. It seems I have the latest firmware version for the optical drive, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem may be.

Is ther a primer, of sorts, for BR ripping I can read somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The AMD Sempron LE-1300 is an low end single core processor, so it will never be able to play blu-ray without the slowdown (choppy), you will need a cheap Dual core.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or a graphics card with DXVA -- hardware h.264 decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Could the processor affect the rip itself? I copied one of the mkv files to my NAS and played over my network and that was choppy too, so it seems that the problem is at the rip stage, I'm thinking.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by fatcharlie View Post
    Could the processor affect the rip itself? I copied one of the mkv files to my NAS and played over my network and that was choppy too, so it seems that the problem is at the rip stage, I'm thinking.
    Nope . Process will only be slower

You need better hardware for playback
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    But my NAS is independent of my PC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're still playing the video on your PC. The CPU is the weak link.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You're still playing the video on your PC. The CPU is the weak link.
    Even if I'm using my TV to watch the video?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fatcharlie View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You're still playing the video on your PC. The CPU is the weak link.
    Even if I'm using my TV to watch the video?
    The TV isn't doing the decoding , it's just a display

Unless you have it setup differently? How do you have it setup? Some TV's support mkv and various files playback through USB, HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Give us the TV details then. Most TVs with built-in mkv support has some limits. Like it must be h264 level 4.1 or lower, maybe some max video bitrate, does not support all audio codecs, etc. You might have to reconvert/shrink with Ripbot264.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The NAS is plugged directly into my 2-Wire gateway. And actually it is my DVD player, LG BD590, hooked up to the network that I was using to try and view the mkv over the network. The BD590 is connected to a switch, which is connected to the back of my AT&T box. I can try a different format, like mp4, I don't need to have the file be mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by fatcharlie View Post
    The NAS is plugged directly into my 2-Wire gateway. And actually it is my DVD player, LG BD590, hooked up to the network that I was using to try and view the mkv over the network. The BD590 is connected to a switch, which is connected to the back of my AT&T box. I can try a different format, like mp4, I don't need to have the file be mkv.
    And you didn't think any of that was worth mentioning before?

So the BD590 is playing the MKV file via the network. Is it wired or wireless?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I was thinking this is a problem with my PC, not my network. The BD590 is wired to the network.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by fatcharlie View Post
    I was thinking this is a problem with my PC, not my network. The BD590 is wired to the network.
    Your computer doesn't have to be fast to rip. Even if it takes a month the resulting file will still be fine.

I've seen some players have problems playing Blu-ray rips over 100 Mb Ethernet. Usually only at bitrate peaks though. 10 Mb Ethernet isn't fast enough unless the rips are reencoded with a low bitrate. Does your switch indicate the connection speed? Maybe with different color LEDs?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    The switch is connected at 100Mbps - DGS-2205, amber LEDs on Speed LEDs. So I still think this is a rip or a conversion problem. I will try to use Ripbot and see how that does.

Here is all I have to go on for the specs on the DVD player:

Video Files
    Available resolution size: 1920 x 1080 (W x H) pixels
    Playable subtitle: SubRip (.srt / .txt), SAMI (.smi), SubStation Alpha (.ssa/.txt), MicroDVD (.sub/.txt), VobSub (.sub), SubViewer 1.0 (.sub),
    SubViewer 2.0 (.sub/.txt), TMPlayer (.txt), DVD Subtitle System (.txt)

• VobSub (.sub) is not available in the
    [Home Link] feature.

Playable Codec format: “DIVX3.xx”, “DIVX4.xx”, “DIVX5.xx”, “XVID”, “DIVX6.xx” (Standard playback only), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG1 SS,
    MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS Playable Audio format: “Dolby Digital”, “DTS”, “MP3”, “WMA”, “AAC”, “AC3”

• Not all the WMA and AAC Audio format is compatible with this unit.
    Sampling frequency: within 32-48KHz (WMA), within 16-48KHz (MP3)
    Bit rate: within 20-320Kbps (WMA), within 32-320Kbps (MP3)

NOTE
    • HD video files contained on the CD or USB 1.0/1.1 may not played properly. BD, DVD or USB 2.0 are recommended to play back HD video
    files.
    • This player supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC profile Main, High at Level 4.1. For a file with higher level, the warning message will appear on the screen.
    • This player does not support files that are recorded with GMC*1 or Qpel*2. Those are video encoding techniques in MPEG4 standard, like DivX or XVID have.
    *1 GMC – Global Motion Compensation
    *2 Qpel – Quarter pixel
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I think everything is ok now. I used ripbot to convert to mp4. On my PC, it plays sorta slow motion, but the video is in sync with the audio, and no cutting out. On my network it plays smooth. I will do some further testing as this test was only the first chapter of a movie, but I am optimistic. Thanks for all the replies, and I apologize if I wasted anyone's time.
    Quote Quote