VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Footage is 720X480 AVI.

Using multiAVCHD and ImgBurn to burn to BD-RE.

Won't play on on the PC using WinDVD. I don't have a BD player, so I have to test on the PC.

What am I missing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try also TMT and PowerDVD. Free trials available.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, for the help!

I downloaded TMT, still no luck.

Before I try a third player I want to see if I can use multiAVCHD and Img Burn to author ANY Blu-ray that will play on my PC. (I can do DVDs just fine.)

Where can I get a couple of brief HD clips that I can test with? I found a few free clips online but there were 720p and it still didn't work, so I'm thinking I should try 1080p. Should they both work?

Or perhaps multiAVCHD doesn't like a 64-bit OS?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    download 1080p HD vids from youtube if you want.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tmt works with 480,720 and 1080 with no issues at all on windows 7 64bit,how are you authoring the video with multiavchd?You can play the folder with tmt before you burn it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just using the default multiAVCHD settings to author.

The SD video I captured with Premiere Elements are AVIs and multiAVCHD doesn't seem to like them, it says "video unsupported". So I tried authoring a DVD folder (video_ts), still no luck. Then I downloaded an HD file to see if I could autthor that, still no luck. Then I tried TMT to play the authored disc, no go. Then I downloaded a different authoring program, same result.

Perhaps there's some basic but critical setting in multiAVCHD that I'm missing? At this point I'd be happy authoring ANYTHING on BD just to see it work, then narrow down from there, but I can't seem to. I've authored many DVDs wit Premiere Elements without a problem.

I'm burning everything to BD-RE, then trying to play back on the PC with WinDVD and now TMT.

Any ideas I could try?
    Quote Quote  
  7. get some encoder to encode that video, perhaps do it inside Premiere right away
    you need average bitrate have less than 5500kb/s,

to make it simple try to create BDMV with tsMuxer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There's a LOT that you're not saying:

What codec are you capping in? (not AVI - it's not a codec but container) DV maybe?

Once you cap, are you editing? If so, how are you exporting your edit? (Codec & container, etc)

What PC setup do you have, in terms of platform(s), codecs, capabilities?

I say this because I just did a check on one of my empty, barebones netbooks, using a number of different AVI and MOV/MP4 types.

What I saw was that if you capped from DV cam to DV-Avi (common occurence in PCs), that unless you also had additional codecs installed (ffmpeg, ffdshow, cedocida, etc), multiAVCHD is OF COURSE going to say 'unsupported video".

Why?
    Because multiAVCHD doesn't internally have bundled support for that type of file - you have to either have those supporting codecs installed first or have pre-converted the files into a type that is natively supported (probably only MPEG/MP4/h264).

The procedure works like this:
    Record -> Cap & Convert -> Edit & Convert -> Encode -> Author -> Burn

Sounds like multiAVCHD does the Encode & Author part, but you're expecting it to also do the "convert" parts.

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I see two things to try:

1. _Al_, I'm happy to encode the video, but I'm not sure to what...

2. Cornucopia, you're absolutely right, I had no idea what the difference between a codec and a container are... my video is currently DV AVI, captured with Premiere Elements from my camcorder. Should I used something like tsMuxer to encode (transcode? what's the difference) and then try multiAVCHD again, or should I load more codecs into multiAVCHD and see if it will then handle the DV AVI? I've already loaded ffdshow, AviSynth, and Haali media splitter, I'll find and load ffmpeg and cedocida too.

AT this point I'd be happy to author ANYTHING on Blu-ray, anything at all, and then try authoring my SD footage after that. All I've been able to do so far is copy archive files to Blu-ray.

Thanks again... you guys put the HELP in VideoHelp...! This is a great site and forum!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    get some encoder to encode that video, perhaps do it inside Premiere right away
    you need average bitrate have less than 5500kb/s,

to make it simple try to create BDMV with tsMuxer
    _Al_, I downloaded txMuxeR and it apparently doesn't like DV AVI, as it wasn't listed in the "supported formats" when I tried to add a DV AVI file, I added it anyways and it crashed...

What am I doing wrong?

I noticed that it doesn't install the same way other programs do... it didn't look like it installed at all, actually, it looked like it wants me to just click on the .exe each time I want to run it... is that right?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops... maybe I did something I shouldn't have... I installed cedocida and THEN looked at the install README, which said this:

"Install as regular DV-Codec (VfW). Caution, your actual DV-Codec will be replaced by this one."

So I just replaced my DV codec? Will that screw up what I'm still doing with all my DV AVI files, Premiere Elements, etc.?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do me a favor and take one of your DV-AVI clips that you capped and, USING P.E., export/render to an MPEG2 file (with either Mp2 or AC3 audio). Use DVD bitrates to start. Use THOSE as input into multiAVCHD. Now you shouldn't have trouble...

Tell us how that worked out.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. yes, encode it first and then go further ....

just one remark, tsMuxer does not encode anything, just rewraps video into different container or makes BDMV structure, you need to burn with something elso on BD,

You have to stay below 5000kbps as average, otherwise it is not going to make it on 25 GB BD.
    I use this web page if I need to calculate something:http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/?input_amount=5000&input_units=kilobits&notation=legacy
    5000kbit is per second, you have 36.000 seconds, so you find GB info from that table and multiply it by 36000s (10hours). It is going to be less then 25GB. And then you have to add audio file to your total.

So you choose mpeg2 encoder within Premiere, 2 pass, VBR, and and say max = 8.000, average =5.000, and minimum 2.000,
    audio , say 192kbps AC3, not sure if Premiere can encode AC3, if Premiere cannot make AC3 for you, you are screwed little bit because other choice for you is PCM audio, but that is 1500kbps, so it will eat up your space on BD, you have to lower your bitrate for video, and tyour quality will suffer for sure, 4000kbps or less is not going to be enough for mpeg2. But not sure again if you can use mpeg1 layerII audio, NTSC DVD specs did not allow that, maybe BD is OK with it. This would be your second choice for audio stream after AC3. It has similar bit rates, so audio file is not too big.

I think you can also encode to mpeg4 - avc, but never done that (for BD) , checked specifications and saw nothing that would forbid that, found this link https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339799-Encoding-SD-video-with-H-264-to-be-100-Blu-ray-compliant , never tried it, in your case H.264 would be better choice, but maybe too challenging for you .....
    Last edited by _Al_; 13th Nov 2011 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @_Al_,
    If one is doing it to BluRay spec, Mp2 isn't allowed. That's why I suggested AC3.
    BTW, you're right about bitrates & fitting to available disc space, and h264 would be more efficient/better quality for the intended bitrate. I just wasn't sure if the OP had the tools (or knowhow) available to tackle that part. It seemed clear that he had MPEG2 capability, though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use handbrake and encode to 720x480 mkv at 4kbps and then author with multiavchd.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Do me a favor and take one of your DV-AVI clips that you capped and, USING P.E., export/render to an MPEG2 file (with either Mp2 or AC3 audio). Use DVD bitrates to start. Use THOSE as input into multiAVCHD. Now you shouldn't have trouble...

Tell us how that worked out.

Scott
    Success! Well, at least some success... and only with TMT player, not with WinDVD, interestingly enough. I think the difference was installing tsMUXer (sp?), as that now appears in the log as multiAVCHD does its thing.

Before, a VIDEO_TS folder would not result in success, but now I can get a VIDEO_TS folder AND MPEG2 projects to playback just fine with TMT. Nothing is playable on WinDVD, though, should that be a concern if I'm shooting for broad playability on my soccer team's BD players?

And I found out that P.E. does do audio in Dolby Digital/AC3, but I get two files instead of one now, should I just add them both and multiAVCHD will figure out that they go together?

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Use handbrake and encode to 720x480 mkv at 4kbps and then author with multiavchd.
    I've downloaded Handbrake... just go straight from AVI to mkv? Not h.264, as another expert recommended? What's the difference?

BTW, thanks so much for the help!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, used Handbrake to make an mkv and everything authored fine, but it does not look nearly as sharp as the MPEG! I set it to 6,000 kbps, but it still did not look very good at all.

Anything I should try? Or just be glad the MPEG2 worked and stick with that?
    Quote Quote  
  19. MKV created by Handbrake is just a container, where inside there IS H.264 video and audio. MKV is just container inside could be lots of formats, mostly H.264.

Settings are important while encoding, H.264 would give you a better result while keeping the same bitrate, as oppose to mpeg2, so perhaps your settings inside Handbrake are not good.

6,000 kbps is too much for 10hour video, total size will perhaps go over 25GB. Watch the total for your video.

My experience is, for encoding DV avi to H.264 , I use CQ 18 inside Megui (not 2pass) and average goes about 3500-4000 kbps anyway, and I use 60p ! So technically 5000kbps should be enough for you, but 2 pass.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In handbrake choose high profile.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    _Al_, 6,000 is okay since I really need just under 9 hours in all.

Even at 6,000 kbps and using "High Profile" in Handbrake, it still doesn't look as good as the MPEG2 for some reason. All the players' white jerseys have annoying horizontal lines through them with the h.264 that aren't there with the MPEG2. Go figure.

Tried the Megui tool (worst, most confusing interface I've EVER seen, and the Help page is WRONG in it's directions... very frustrating to try to figure out for a newbie), got the same results as with Handbrake.

I know that h.264 should give a better result at a lower bitrate than MPEG2, and I've tried about 6 different combinations of settings to get h.264 to work well, to no avail.

Guys, thanks so much for the education, you got me past my big obstacle, now at least I've got SOMETHING working, and that is perfectly wonderful at this point! (Still can't get WinDVD to play any of my burns, though!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so now I have a serious problem again, I think related to my attempt to install cedocida... now I can't get P.E. to export into MPEG2, the one thing that was working.

Cedocida's ReadMe warned that their DV codec would replace my current codec, and I'm guessing that's what happened.

How do I get my original codec back? Just reinstall Premiere Elements?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's not the reason.

Cedocida is a DV codec only, and it's VFW only. Not Directshow. It will only replace the existing VFW-type DV codec. Not the existing Directshow DV codec and not ANY type of MPEG codec.

If you don't like Cedocida, that's one thing, and you can just get back to what you had by uninstalling it. But if MPEG2 isn't working, something else is going on...

What else did you install?

Scott

p.s. By now, you should have had a really good quality h264 output that should have authored correctly to BD in multiAVCHD and given you a burned disc that any BD player should be OK with (including hardware, and WinDVD.

Maybe you should explain step-by-step what you're doing and what settings you're using in each app.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post a minute of your dv and and let me encode to see if i can better results.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott, I installed cedocida, ffmpeg, tsMUXer, meGUI, and Handbrake. I'm going to try reinstalling PE first, seems like the easiest/quickest solution to try.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    johns0, attached are three 6-second clips (would love to do longer, but AVI file exceeded the 30 MB upload limit):

1. Original DV-AVI
    2. MPEG2 (from Premiere Elements, which is working now after re-install
    3. MKV made from the AVI in Handbrake. I used "High Profile" and made only two changes: changed from Constant Quality to Avg bitrate of 6,000 and selected 2-pass encoding. (Got identical results from meGUI.)

Notice the horizontal lines in the MKV on player #5 in the white jersey right as he begins to move. Those are not present in the AVI or MPEG2.

I'd love to know what you find out!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott, the reinstall of PE got the encoder working again, thankfully...

Now I'm just waiting for johns0 (or anyone else) to see if it's possible to get my AVI clip looking better with h.264, as it should.

Thanks AGAIN!!!
    Quote Quote  
  28. That H.264 inside MKV is progressive and perhaps not well done, that video is 29.97 progressive , not good, you ruin your video if you deinterlace to progressive (bobdeinterlace to 60p is different story I use it for DV, but this is out of question for SD to BD I think).

The other thing, can there be High profile and level 3.0, somehow odd ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I should look for a setting that would stop it from deinterlacing?

And what is level 3.0 and how can/should I adjust it?

Do you think you take that 6-second AVI and encode it with h.264 and have it look as good (or better) than the MPEG 2?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    By now, you should have had a really good quality h264 output that should have authored correctly to BD in multiAVCHD and given you a burned disc that any BD player should be OK with (including hardware, and WinDVD..
    Scott, if you've got nothing better to do, I'd be interested to see what you can do with my 6-second clip, posted above.

Specifically,

1. can you encode it in h.264 and have it look better than my posted MPEG2
    2. can you get it play with WinDVD (if you have that)
    Quote Quote