VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. WHOA. I buy almost all of my games new, but this kind of draconian push to require console players to access the Internet and activate all games is too much for me. I'd say I won't buy the upcoming consoles, but I'll do one better: As long as Microsoft and Sony still lose money on their hardware, I'll buy the consoles only for one or two exclusive games, and deliberately ensure they lose money on me. Screw them.

I am absolutely, positively, 100% NOT COOL with anyone thinking they can deny me access to the game I bought and paid for...new or used. These schemes are SO short-sighted, just like moving to all-digital (and all-DRM) distribution: What happens 20 years from now when all the servers are down and people still want to play the single-player campaign on these games? I mean, the publishers don't care of course, but the community does care. I can still play Startropics and Jackal on my NES today. Will people be able to say the same about modern games 20 years from now?

This may seriously get people thinking about PC gaming again...and not that Steam or Origin crap either, but real bonafide discs. Of course, we'll still have to crack the stupid DRM and phone-home protocols to avoid being dependent on third party permission just to play games.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 5th Apr 2012 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the next consoles lock out used games somehow, I'm sure there will be a class action lawsuit. It will take time but based on previous court rulings I would say (as a layman) that a class action suit is likely to be successful. However anything can happen in court. So I'd say there's a good chance that eventually Sony and Microsoft will have to change that. They may actually know that but are gambling that they can drag it out long enough to do irreparable harm to stores like Game Stop. If they put Game Stop out of business before losing the court case, that might be a victory to them. With no alternative to Game Stop, it won't matter if you can theoretically now play used games again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wonder if they'll stop giving license to developers for the old consoles. So if you want to play any new games you'll have to buy a new console.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Not being a gamer, I have no horse in this race. But I still say "Go Hackers !" Don't bet the farm against their coming up with some workarounds, while you're waiting for a court case to unwind.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is...

Is there an advantage to use AMD over Intel?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techiejustin View Post
    The question is...

AMD has often offered more bang for the buck than Intel.

If nobody buys AMD then they go out of business. Except for the extreme low end market Intel would have no price and technology competition. I do not see how consumers would benefit from that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i agree with jman98, the only advantage is bang for the buck.While AMD is a very capable chip it can not keep up with Intel in term of performance. TO me in most cases AMD is the way I would go, only when dealing with persons who have to have the biggest baddest box on the planet and money is no object do i select Intel.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Another quarter of red ink for AMD.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/19/amd_q1_2012_numbers/

Of course, AMD has to sell their processors slightly cheaper than equivalent performing Intel CPUs. Otherwise nobody would buy them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo points out AMD's problem. Their sales are also kept low because non-techies have the belief that "Intel = great" and "AMD = bad". It's actually in Intel's best interest for AMD to survive as they would very likely face increased government scrutiny under monopoly laws if AMD went under.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    non-techies have the belief that "Intel = great" and "AMD = bad"
    Part of this is of AMD's own making. They have traditionally relied on third part chipsets from companies like Via and Nvidia. Those were often less reliable than Intel chipsets (and the few that AMD used to make themselves).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    non-techies have the belief that "Intel = great" and "AMD = bad"
    Part of this is of AMD's own making. They have traditionally relied on third part chipsets from companies like Via and Nvidia. Those were often less reliable than Intel chipsets (and the few that AMD used to make themselves).
    99% of the population doesn't understand your point. It's basically that Intel advertises on TV and AMD doesn't. AMD's cheaper prices, which as you point out they have to do to compete, leads to the perception that they are cheap junk.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think the quarters poor financials were as much to blame on "doom and gloom" as they were on the one time charge AMD paid Global Foundries to eliminate some of their exclusivity agreements. Aside than that, they would have at least showed a small profit.

"AMD said the first quarter loss was partially due to the previously disclosed charge of $703 million for waiving Globalfoundries Inc.'s exclusive right to manufacture some of AMD's 28-nm accelerated processing units (APUs)."

I remember reading a while ago that GF was having trouble with their 28 nm. process yields and AMD was switching some production to other suppliers (TSMC I think).

I don't think AMD is anywhere near out of trouble yet. I was pretty much underwhelmed by the Bulldozer launch. To little, to late. Their new line Graphics chips looks pretty competitive though. Processor wise, they need to come up with another "AMD64" moment if they are to remain competitive other than by price only.

I haven't followed AMDs chipset business very closely, but are these chipsets AMD designs, or are they rebranding someone else's?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/9-series-integrated.aspx

I took a quick inventory on Neweggs AMD moitherboard page and it listed 101 MBs using AMD chipsets and the only others were 10 MBs using Nvidia chips. If AMD is utilizing their own chipsets, it looks like their dependance on ones from 3rd party suppliers is over.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, AMD has started making their own chipsets again. They finally realized they can't rest their reputation on Via's shoulders. I know many people who bought cheap AMD computers and had problems with them crashing all the time. They vowed never to buy AMD again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The question is...

AMD has often offered more bang for the buck than Intel.

If nobody buys AMD then they go out of business. Except for the extreme low end market Intel would have no price and technology competition. I do not see how consumers would benefit from that.
    I agree.
    When i was getting my MBA I did a paper on AMD. I cited several issues that weren't their fault. For example, Intel stealing their designs, and then the court basically saying, "We admit Intel did wrong, but we can't calculate the damages. Case dismissed."

Intel should have been required to hand over 10% of its net revenue for a few years.

Then there's the whole Intel strong-arming Dell into using Intel chips exclusively.

I'm a staunch advocate of the free market; and this goes against everything the free market is.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by techiejustin View Post
    Then there's the whole Intel strong-arming Dell into using Intel chips exclusively.
    Not just Dell, all the big OEMs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Not just Dell, all the big OEMs.
    back when I did the paper only Dell was in the spotlight. But yes, there's something wrong with American business. I just don't understand how a judge can simply say "We can't calculate the damages, so you're off the hook." Fine Intel, make them hand over a % of their (pre-tax) net - something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How much do you think the judge was bribed? I have been in court for my company many times, and I have seen it first hand. A bank account in Lichtenstein (note, not Switzerland who must occasionally hand over information to authorities) is only numbers. No way to trace. Do you think Intel would not pay millions? Think again....
    http://www.4ingrid.com/offshore-banking-in-lichtenstein-147.html
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to say in my town desktop pc (amd/intel) are still selling well.Compaired to apples hambag fasion accessories that are WELL OVER PRICED .(does anybody know why these hambag accessories made in prison labour camps in china are WELL OVER PRICED ?)p.s I know all about the logistics costs,but as for the hardware thay use sorry I dont buy the fact its very expensive make, its made in china you carn`t get any cheaper maybe.
    My local comp shop tells me he carn`t get enough AMD chips to keep up with demand.
    As for that cloud sh*t sorry I want control over what I put on my pc.After all I built the pc and paid for it.
    Plus I find it quite creepy that someone the other side of the world can access my data.I know they say " its safe " from xyz.
    But its NOT SAFE from spooks and the company thats supplying you that service.
    Plus if they loose your data there`s a cop out clause for them.
    Say you where an inventer and you put up your design on the cloud.Soon as this is done the likes of google,m$oft and all the other
    GREEDY BANKSTERS will copy your design alter it slightly then sell the product plus can you afford to take them on in court.
    Last edited by NICEBUD; 3rd May 2012 at 10:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NICEBUD View Post
    Just to say in my town desktop pc (amd/intel) are still selling well.Compaired to apples hambag fasion accessories that are WELL OVER PRICED .(does anybody know why these hambag accessories made in prison labour camps in china are WELL OVER PRICED ?)p.s I know all about the logistics costs,but as for the hardware thay use sorry I dont buy the fact its very expensive make, its made in china you carn`t get any cheaper maybe.
    My local comp shop tells me he carn`t get enough AMD chips to keep up with demand.
    As for that cloud sh*t sorry I want control over what I put on my pc.After all I built the pc and paid for it.
    Plus I find it quite creepy that someone the other side of the world can access my data.I know they say " its safe " from xyz.
    But its NOT SAFE from spooks and the company thats supplying you that service.
    Plus if they loose your data there`s a cop out clause for them.
    Say you where an inventer and you put up your design on the cloud.Soon as this is done the likes of google,m$oft and all the other
    GREEDY BANKSTERS will copy your design alter it slightly then sell the product plus can you afford to take them on in court.

OK...
    At least the Bilderbergs don't have anything to do with iCloud.

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    techiejustin
    thats not a very flattering picture of yourself.You should get a nosejob with norzz like that.Only joking.Talking of jokes thats a
    good one " At least the Bilderbergs don't have anything to do with iCloud " fortune 100 company.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Bilderbergs have EVERYTHING to do with it.

I have been assured that those nefarious hotel owners are the cause of the vast Global Warming conspiracy, the end of NASA, a truly evil conspiracy, consisting of EVERY president since Nixon, who, with the aid of his evil henchman. Henry Kissinger, joined with Mao Tse Tong, to stop nations from hitting each other with fusion bombs. AND they are covering up the Iron Sun theory.

Evil people. Even tin foil hats cannot keep their evil out.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
  22. Perhaps you're right...I used to think that rich, connected, and powerful people in tight-knit social and familial circles would sometimes actively seek to maintain and expand their power for their own good or relentlessly pursue their authoritarian idea of the greater good, but that's just silly. Human history has proven me wrong, and as time goes on, I'm learning that the kind of people attracted to power are nothing like that; control freaks are pretty much the last people who would ever seek power, right? In fact, I don't think control freaks even exist. Everyone on earth, without exception, just wants to live a nice, laid-back family life and pursue their quiet, non-invasive hobbies. China's a great example: People are so free and happy, and corruption is punished by death, so there's no way the ruling class could ever get out of control. The same applies here, and that's why there will never be any kind of corporate-government control grid that monitors our electronic communications or whereabouts, and turnkey access to our social networks and cloud-stored data will never actually be used or abused to monitor and undermine dissidents. We don't even have to spare a worry or thought for that kind of situation.

I also expect that laws will continue to remain just as fair and lean as they've always been in the land of the free, because there hasn't been any pattern of laws that insidiously undermine due process. Sure, there's the Patriot Act, and suspension of habeas corpus/indefinite detention without trial, and torture with no oversight or accountability, and the new NDAA, and Presidential assassinations, and attempted attacks on free speech like SOPA/PIPA and ACTA, but those are all isolated incidents. I can't imagine that there's any kind of pattern or concerted effort to create an Orwellian control grid...that's totally cuckoo and ridiculous, because nobody in power would ever want something like that. Granted, there's CISPA too, but that just grants new surveillance powers that are totally necessary for stopping terrorism. It's not like they're just trying to legalize current practice or anything. I mean, if someone were to even suggest that, the next thing out of their mouth would probably be that the NSA has been splitting off and spying on all electronic communications for years without a warrant, which we all know couldn't possibly be the case!

Long story short, I suggest everyone put a lid on their tin-foil craziness and go back to trusting that nothing is wrong. I could be wrong, and everything could be going to pot in a methodical fashion, but at least we'll be able to get back to the subject of this thread.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 5th May 2012 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post

Sure, there's the Patriot Act, and suspension of habeas corpus/indefinite detention without trial, and torture with no oversight or accountability, and the new NDAA, and Presidential assassinations, and attempted attacks on free speech like SOPA/PIPA and ACTA, but those are all isolated incidents.
    That's just your misinformed and overbiased opinion of course.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post

Sure, there's the Patriot Act, and suspension of habeas corpus/indefinite detention without trial, and torture with no oversight or accountability, and the new NDAA, and Presidential assassinations, and attempted attacks on free speech like SOPA/PIPA and ACTA, but those are all isolated incidents.
    That's just your misinformed and overbiased opinion of course.
    Maybe, but then again, I bet some of those bills and laws I mentioned don't even exist. I hear the Patriot Act, for instance, is just a cockamamie figment of the EFF's imagination, that they invented in their delusional froth to justify their existence. Rebels without a cause, right? Everything's fine, so let's all stop paying attention and go back to trusting.
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 5th May 2012 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The problems of the world come down to this: 99 percent of the people just want to be left alone and go about their honest business. Unfortunately, the other 1 percent wants to control and/or take advantage of that 99 percent.
    Quote Quote