VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Layoffs-Maul-Marketing-PR-Departments/

ouch.

With Windows 8 about a year away, ARM ramping into servers, and Intel's 22nm Atom coming soon, AMD needs to leverage its current expertise in its core markets to fund any attempt to shift focus. Read's email doesn't mention the need for excellent execution in desktop, mainstream mobile, or graphics. During the company conference call last week, he didn't even acknowledge the launch of Bulldozer, or the upcoming Interlagos parts.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. Though, somewhat paradoxically, they showed a profit in the most recent quarter (a rare event for AMD).
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5026/amd-q311-results-97mil-on-strong-llano-sales

The current shortage of disk drives is going to cause a big reduction in CPU sales over the next several months.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The current shortage of disk drives is going to cause a big reduction in CPU sales over the next several months.
    Indeed I need to order parts to build a freenas server and a backup server. Looks like I'll be waiting a while.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ARM ramping into servers
    huh?

Intel will prop up AMD just like MSFT did for AAPL.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. With the unwashed millions buying smart phones and MS about to release a new operating system for those that like to touch the screen with dirty fingers, I guess they saw the writing on the wall. The masses are moving away from desktops.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    With the unwashed millions buying smart phones and MS about to release a new operating system for those that like to touch the screen with dirty fingers, I guess they saw the writing on the wall. The masses are moving away from desktops.
    I LOL at the naivety of this post.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by epsilonalpha View Post
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    With the unwashed millions buying smart phones and MS about to release a new operating system for those that like to touch the screen with dirty fingers, I guess they saw the writing on the wall. The masses are moving away from desktops.
    I LOL at the naivety of this post.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that desktops will completely go away. But the replacement cycle for desktops is slowing because fewer people need a more powerful computer than the one they already have. And many people are getting smart phones or tablets instead of a second or third desktop or laptop. So the size of the desktop and laptop CPU markets are diminishing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mostly what most tech writers are predicting is a big drop in laptops not desktops in favor of pads.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    the replacement cycle for desktops is slowing because fewer people need a more powerful computer than the one they already have. And many people are getting smart phones or tablets instead of a second or third desktop or laptop.
    Agreed I see the PC market becoming a niche market for the home consumer (gamers and persons in the A\V profession). For the average consumer the smart phone is all they need. If its not they get a tablet and the world will move to the cloud, with the combination of things like google apps, Face book, twitter, linkedin people put there whole life on the web for all to see, next logical progression would be cloud based computing all the 30 something generation is quite comfortable with the concept. I would think we are less than a decade from seeing it happen.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey epsilon, it looks like you got out voted.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Agreed I see the PC market becoming a niche market for the home consumer (gamers and persons in the A\V profession). For the average consumer the smart phone is all they need. If its not they get a tablet and the world will move to the cloud, with the combination of things like google apps, Face book, twitter, linkedin people put there whole life on the web for all to see, next logical progression would be cloud based computing all the 30 something generation is quite comfortable with the concept. I would think we are less than a decade from seeing it happen.
    No thanks -- I don't want any part of this.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I think the desktop PC is still a viable product. My sister, brother-in-law, and nephews (both are 20-something) have their own laptops, but often prefer to use the family desktop when it is available. It is 5 years old but has a larger display and a faster CPU.

I only use a desktop at present. I have only wished I had a laptop or tablet when there was something that my elderly computer-illiterate parents need to see.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Of course the PC is still a viable product and it isn't going away any time soon. There's no substitute for a lot of applications. The point is that it is no longer a growth industry. Companies are rewarded by Wall Street for growth.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only personal computer-related growth areas in the US are tablets, smart phones, and thin clients. Everything else is saturated, including laptops, but not everyone will want portable computing devices or can afford them.

I don't have or want a smart phone. Internet service for phones is too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The only personal computer-related growth areas in the US are tablets, smart phones, and thin clients. Everything else is saturated, including laptops, but not everyone will want portable computing devices or can afford them.

I don't have or want a smart phone. Internet service for phones is too expensive.
    That was what was generally thought until Intel and Microsoft reported quarterly earnings. The growth in the business and corp PC market has been huge mostly due to Win7. Recently Win7 shipments finally surpassed Win XP/2000 in the corps. The sales for Intel and M$ continue to grow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	windows-7-overtakes-windows-xp.png
Views:	1273
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	9481
    Last edited by edDV; 6th Nov 2011 at 13:54.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AMD looks like it is changing its desktop product line offerings. I don't really need one yet, but have been shopping for an AM3 95W quad core to upgrade my desktop. There are not many to choose from. Most of the available quad cores are black edition 125W CPUs, and the number of available AMD AM3 CPUs models has been reduced recently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Zosma 3.0 and FX-4100 3.6,both 95watts.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Zosma 3.0 and FX-4100 3.6,both 95watts.
    There are several 95W quad core Phenom II and Athlon II CPUs that are suddenly no longer in production, not just 2.

I was looking at AM3 CPUs because I have an AM3 motherboard. FX-4100 is for socket AM3+, not AM3. I am not ready to buy a new motherboard and a new OS license at this time.

Zosma 3.0 is overpriced if you can't unlock the 2 extra cores. If I wanted a 125W Thuban, I would buy a Thuban instead.

I'm looking at a Phemom II x4 850, which will be fine even if it lacks an L3 cache.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Nov 2011 at 23:30. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm also pretty much comfortable in the PC world, i don't even need to upgrade it for a long time.

I've got a 3 years old mainboard which i have the last CPU supported on it (PhenomII 4X), i got my PCLinuxOS running on it, doing everything i want to. While i do have a Smartphone, i hardly use it for surfing, not to mention i HATE typing on Touchscreens, it's the most uncomfortable annoying thing!

People like "progress" even if it doesn't really progress to anywhere, all i see is going backward in technology.
    For example, before that disastrous iPhone came out, all phones were shrinking in size. Now? they look like a flat brick! uncomfortable to hold and still uncomfortable to type! and some of those are now 5" sized!

As a final thought, while probably in the future, everyone will be hooked up to the net via wireless cheap in their brains. I'm glad i won't live that long! cause it looks like with all the ultra super high speed connections, everyone forgot how to actually communicate with each other... a very sad future world...

and Hi to everyone
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not naive to say the masses are moving to mobiles, and that doesn't mean laptops/desktops are going away either.

Mobiles are changing the world of corporate IT support. It's becoming largely about making sure the devices staff use are compatible with a standard and are secure. The days when IT can tell the rest of the company what they can use are numbered.

Me, I want a laptop with some guts and a real keyboard. But I see lots of local university students sitting with their laptops and their phones, and they're using the phones more.

Video geeks and gamers may want maximum power but there are lots of people who use laptops and don't realize that they're using 10% or less of its power. Eventually they're probably going to figure this out. A lot of them would be pretty surprised if they went into the performance tab of win7 task manager.

Hell, on my i3 laptop, unless I'm rendering video the CPU usage virtually never goes over 15%.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I know a good, veteran consultant who seems convinced that everything is drifting inexorably towards the tablets, and that the regular laptops -- and particularly desktop systems, as we have known them -- are very much on the way out. IMO, the tablets may be fine, if all you want to do is email, internet, and maybe watch some video. For what I do, tablets just don't even begin to cut it, and I have no intention of changing. So, I hope that he is not correct about this.

I just made another semi-regular trip to Fry's, and evidently they are not reading from the same script as this consultant: their selection of desktop cases -- from mini-towers to full-size ones -- stretches for around one city block. Quite a selection. That suggests to me that a major retailer thinks that the buying public has not gotten this memo, either.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Over the last few years, technology trends have polarized the mass market in a very odd way. It used to be a simple "us vs them, young vs old farts" split, but the demographics have weirded out recently to where its actually the middle thats being orphaned. The predominant "middle" previously lagged the "young" trends but not by too much, while the "old" resisted everything. Today, the "young" are the tail that wags the dog, most of what they fixate on becomes oddly attractive to the "old" who are either retired or have high income, and the "middle" (late 30s to 50s who are still actually slaving in crap unfulfilling jobs) are left to rot.

Everyone under 30 fell out of the womb with a smart phone in their mouths, they were texting unconsciously when the doctor first slapped them awake. This group feels nothing in their lives is "real" until they've shared it on Facebook, wouldn't know a "camera" if they tripped over it, and view still pics/videos as a strictly "shared by phone" activity. They glommed onto the iPad immediately because it was simply a bigger smartphone, for better video viewing and enhanced eReader functions. Since they swipe at their touchscreen phones 24/7, they think nothing of tablet keyboard limitations and limited screen real estate. Parallel to this, the older and retired got sucked into the "social media" vortex a few years ago, which drove them to acquire more capable smartphones, so tablets appeal to them as well (esp the eReader function: swing a dead cat in any airport and you'll knock over hundreds of oldsters reading the latest best seller on their iPads). The older demo seems to have bypassed the Kindle and Nook and gone straight to the tablets: odd, considering dedicated eReaders are much easier on the eyes. But in NYC, I see ten times as many college-age people using Kindles and Nooks: past college age, its iPad all the way.

That leaves the poor huge middle swath of the population: we learned to embrace smartphones, find some utility in tablets, but our work habits (and much of our work) still requires the flexibility of an actual full-bore laptop or desktop. Apparently we are "undesirable" to an industry that seems hell-bent on converting everything from toasters to hammers to vacuum cleaners into a smart-phone touchscreen interface. Its getting a little ridiculous, and the leaks of upcoming Apple and MicroSoft OS "upgrades" have been rather horrifying to many of us. Not everyone is thrilled at the prospect of enforced "cloud computing" and an OS that slavishly copies the iPad. I can understand epsilonalpha's point that we shouldn't get hysterical about it, of course: there are certainly enough gamers and accountants to keep "real" PCs going for some years yet, and it'll be awhile before we can do PhotoShop and video grading on a tablet with the flexibility of a PC. The Windows PC market is huge enough to always support a niche of power users, but I think the days of Apple's elegant MacBooks and iMac are numbered: we're perhaps three more iPad iterations away from it wiping out the Mac altogether (which, if anyone remembers, was Steve's game plan going back to 1998 in any case).
    Last edited by orsetto; 11th Mar 2012 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    swing a dead cat in any airport and you'll knock over hundreds of oldsters reading the latest best seller on their iPads). The older demo seems to have bypassed the Kindle and Nook and gone straight to the tablets: odd, considering dedicated eReaders are much easier on the eyes..
    I noticed the exact opposite while cruising last year. I saw far more people using e-readers, except in port when suddenly there were smartphones everywhere as 2000 passengers tried to grab the few free wireless connections available. (Shipboard satellite internet cost 55 cents/minute and was extremely slow, so free port services were sought with determination.)

I did enjoy sitting on our balcony, reading my Kobo, watching the sea go by...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Atually if amd can hang on, the market is swinging their way. Most m/s users have enough CPU power, what they lack is GPU power. And AMD was onto that before intel.. Where they have been let down is by their partners in GloblFnddry who have royally scrwed up their new CPu's. laptops are the largest growth segment in the std computer industry, followed by cheap SFF pc's.
    I7 's cant be sold to gamers as they see no real benefit (maybe 5 10%) and these are Intels raison D'etre.
    Intels going down, man, they're going down hard!
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sefy View Post
    and Hi to everyone
    Indeed!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by Sefy View Post
    and Hi to everyone
    Indeed!
    Long time huh?
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  27. The latest rumor is that an AMD CPU/GPU will be used in the next generation Playstation. The bad news is that used games will be a thing of the past...

http://hothardware.com/News/PlayStation-4-Reportedly-Codenamed-Orbis-Will-Feature-AMD-...ut-Used-Games/
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/04/the-x86-playstation-4-signals-a-sea-change-...e-industry.ars
    Quote Quote  
  28. That bang you just heard was a Sony exec shooting himself in the foot.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Microsoft is likely to ban used games in their next console too.
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217257p1.html
    Quote Quote  
  30. Although i would like to agree with epsilonalpha the truth is that the discrete market for gpu and cpu is falling http://www.trefis.com/stock/nvda/articles/107940/nvidias-discrete-graphics-business-un...ano/2012-03-19
    And the desktop market shifts towards integration of cpu and gpu here intel and amd ( both ) are starting to grow more rapidly and will start to push off Nvidia. So Intel going down that's a no no.

Fact is that tablet market is faced toward netbook users and portion of the "i don't know what to do with my laptop if there is no Facebook on it" users, and less on the power users using desktop pc. Try opening some sort of table with data in a calculus ( excel alike program ) with 15000> columns and 1mil> rows in a "smart and powerful dual core ( or single one even worse) 1ghz samsung g or ipad alike phone or tablet and tell me how many hours! it takes to open it, working on it aha i forgot you cant.

The painful truth is that people are getting less smart ( shame with all the information and knowledge now circling around "the net")
    using the voice as more natural controlling or head movement or eyes movement as future ( and present ) controlling inputs ok but touch screen?!
    Quote Quote