VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am burning low-quality avi files to DVD to play back on a standalone player. One of the things I've noticed in some of the videos is that the movement is jittery, especially during fast-motion scenes. It's almost like watching a flipbook movie. I am wondering if this has to do with re-setting the bitrate to a maximum level (4000) when encoding the file. I've noticed that the kbps number changes when a new file is imported into ffmpegX and I'm wondering if it is better to leave it rather than resetting to max kbps by reselecting the "DVD ffmpeg" option. I am going to try re-encoding one of the jittery movies and leaving the bit rate as it to see if there is a difference, but if there is anyone with more info on this please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you setting the bitrate to maximum (4000)? Yes, high bitrates often do cause problems for standalone DVD players capable of playing video files.

Did the original videos from which you converted have extremely high bitrates? If not, you're not really gaining anything by setting the bitrate too high, other than larger file sizes and videos which standalone players might have problems playing. You might keep this post in mind when creating AVIs for your player: Common DivX DVD Players AVI Playback problems!
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cb678 View Post
    ... I've noticed in some of the videos is that the movement is jittery, especially during fast-motion scenes. It's almost like watching a flipbook movie...
    This could be due to field order reversal prior to or during encoding.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Why are you setting the bitrate to maximum (4000)? Yes, high bitrates often do cause problems for standalone DVD players capable of playing video files.

Did the original videos from which you converted have extremely high bitrates? If not, you're not really gaining anything by setting the bitrate too high, other than larger file sizes and videos which standalone players might have problems playing. You might keep this post in mind when creating AVIs for your player: Common DivX DVD Players AVI Playback problems!
    Actually encoding the file to DVD with the bitrate set higher did improve the quality of the video. I've burned both versions to DVD and the files with the bitrate left at the lower default setting looked much worse. However, the higher setting did nothing to improve the jittery movement of the images, probably because of the way the original file was saved or encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    This could be due to field order reversal prior to or during encoding.
    Since the 'source' is AVI and most likely progressive, I wouldn't think a field order reversal could be the problem. But stranger things have happened and a sample could prove useful.

cb678, If you provide a sample of the output, 10 seconds or so with steady movement, I think we can diagnose the problem. I'm assuming the AVI from which you made the DVD doesn't display this jittery movement. Is that correct?
    Quote Quote