VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am quite a newbie here, but I already tried hundred of programs to get anything out of the .ts files
    created by a TNT decoder, with mixed SD/HD flows from commercial channels.

VLC can play the file, but not the Audio alternates, nor the subtitles. Same for Mplayer and WMP,
    although Mplayer can select the English Audio. VLC converts only to a silent .mp4 or .mpg

When I use M4ngv3, I got very little. ProjectX makes 3 audio tracks called .ac3, but practically nothing can play them or convert.

However the worst is for the subtitles. On the TV, or with the TNT decoder, they are 'normal', with
    separated letters on a gray box.

When demuxed by ProjectX, .sup files are created (and ifo or idx). But DVDSubedit or Suprip
    can read the 'image' produced, where the letters are 'expanded' (they are touching each others
    and much larger than on screen), and the OCR process does not find anything.

I tried to extract .bmp pictures, but they are also quite unreadable.

Am I doing something wrong, or has anyone done this before ?

TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First : the English and international wording for French "TNT" is DVB (DVB-T for terrestrial and DVB-S for satellite) ,with that you will find more easily what you look for...

I can read with VLC all audio tracks and subtitle ,perhaps VLC and your DVB recorder do not like each other.Have you got a recent version of VLC ? Some DVB recorder do not record all tracks but you say projectx can extract some subtitle tracks...

For subtitles ,since you are obviously French you will find most interesting stuff there :
    http://www.beepmaster.com/handisol/enregistrer-tnt-avec-sous-titres.php
    You will find there how to convert "teletext" and "DVB" subtitles,, to SRT but for "DVD" subtitles that are broadcasted on DVB I do not know whether anyone has an answer. I'm trying now, I will warn you if I succeed ...
    Anyway the topic is far from being closed.
    Last edited by misermidas; 15th Feb 2012 at 07:13.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the infos. I spent a lot of time of this. I did not find any FREE program that will extract correctly the .ts elements. I was wrong, VLC does show the alternate langage and sub-titles, although it crashes from time to time when 'skipping'. However, it will not 'convert' correctly any files. Same with Smplayer. The most usefull has been 'Nero Vision 11', but it is far from perfect, and not free (included into the Nero burning platinum, as well as Winzip 15). I found one commercial program that does the full job : Tmpgenc Video Mastering works 5. It (the demo version) also crashes frequently when moving through a .ts file, but if you are carefull, it is possible to convert it with ONE langage and ONE subtitles stream. But there are two wrong things : First, the subtitles are included in the middle of the screen (same as Nero vision), not at the bottom. Second, I refuses to buy anything anymore from PEGASYS. I bought Tmpgenc DVD author 3. - It requires connecting to the site EVERY MONTH to 're-validate' the product - When I requested help with a bug, they just said 'Oh, it is corrected in version 4, you'll just have to buy it (2 monthes after the initial buy). - It is not even able to read back the subtitles files it creates. Anyway, I found out that the French channels DVB-T mix SD, HD, AVC, Mpg 3, Mpg1 sound and AC3 sound. That's why certain files can be converted correctly, when other can't. I'm still looking for best tools, so thanks again for the link.
    Quote Quote