VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used avidemux to transcode MP3 transport stream from my computer tuner to mpg4 with the help of the x264 codec obtained amazing quality and reduction in file size with a 2-pass transcode. The thing is this avidemux transcoder/editor did not have MKV as a packaging format choice so I used AVC instead. This still gave me the amazing quality and file reduction size I just mentioned, so the packaging format have anything to do with the rendering quality? Would I have even better quality with the MKV packaging format?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mkv format has nothing to do with the quality,its the encode method.Avidemux does use the mkv format for avc encodes.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The container makes no difference in the quality of what's contained. For example, the exact same h.264 video can be contained in an MKV container as well as an MP4 container. But your system may be set up to use different players for different containers. And that could cause visual differences depending on how the players are set up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The container makes no difference in the quality of what's contained. For example, the exact same h.264 video can be contained in an MKV container as well as an MP4 container. But your system may be set up to use different players for different containers. And that could cause visual differences depending on how the players are set up.
    OK that sounds fair enough.

I was confused as to just how you obtain your file extension with avidemux however I have since seen a video tutorial not exactly for MP2 transport stream to MP4 using the X264 codex I desire, but one that shows you must explicitly type in the file extension you desire. So when I do my transports stream conversion and I explicitly typing either the MKV packaging extension or the MP4 packaging extension and expected to work in play in some appropriate player set up to use that extension, can I? Is just explicitly typing in your packaging format the way you change packaging formats in the Avidemux program?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
    So when I do my transports stream conversion and I explicitly typing either the MKV packaging extension or the MP4 packaging extension and expected to work in play in some appropriate player set up to use that extension, can I? Is just explicitly typing in your packaging format the way you change packaging formats in the Avidemux program?
    No. The container is specified by the Format field near the bottom left of the main AviDemux window. You can type anything you want as the filename extension. Just beware that using the wrong extension may cause Windows problems dealing with the file. For example if you name it Something.DOC Microsoft Word will try to open the file and fail.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
    So when I do my transports stream conversion and I explicitly typing either the MKV packaging extension or the MP4 packaging extension and expected to work in play in some appropriate player set up to use that extension, can I? Is just explicitly typing in your packaging format the way you change packaging formats in the Avidemux program?
    No. The container is specified by the Format field near the bottom left of the main AviDemux window. You can type anything you want as the filename extension. Just beware that using the wrong extension may cause Windows problems dealing with the file. For example if you name it Something.DOC Microsoft Word will try to open the file and fail.
    So if you choose MKV muxer left bottom format chooser what would you choose in the video output above it a number of choices to get an MP2 transport stream to MP4 with the MKV extension? And would you have to explicitly name the file with the MKV extension?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
    So if you choose MKV muxer left bottom format chooser what would you choose in the video output above it a number of choices to get an MP2 transport stream to MP4 with the MKV extension? And would you have to explicitly name the file with the MKV extension?
    Your question makes no sense. MP4 is a container. If you want an MP4 file specify MP4 as the format. If you want an MKV file specify MKV as the format. Since AviDemux doesn't automatically add extensions (like most other software does) you have to add them yourself. *.MKV for MKV files, *.MP4 for MP4 files.

The Video and Audio sections are for selecting the codecs you want to use to recompress the video or audio. "Copy" simply copies the video or audio from the source container to the destination container.
    Quote Quote