VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

I've ripped a set of files from a DVD (not copy protected)
    Now I have two folders AUDIO_TS (empty) and VIDEO_TS (about 8 gigs)

Can I just burn four VTS_0x_x video files onto 2 blank DVDs and still read them on a normal DVD player
    Or does a DVD player need the files organized in a certain way?

Worse comes to worse, I could use DVD shrink to burn the video files, but I think that would reduce video quality.
    Anyway, I would like to backup the DVD before I lend it out. Thnks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD Shrink to split it to two real DVD-Videos(VIDEO_TS folders). Click on dvd shrink for several guides or see http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/48/59/ .

Just vts_0x_x.vob files might work but you will get problem selecting subtitles, audio tracks.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 31st Oct 2011 at 15:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, B. I'll try it both ways (compressed and uncompressed on 2 discs) and see if I notice a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    On that large a dvd, you'll get better results compressing with DVDRebuilder. DVDRebuilder has a free version which should work well for you, though it will take longer than DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @tenpenny,

If you just want to "back it up", a hard drive can hold the whole business without splitting it up.

...Or does a DVD player need the files organized in a certain way?
    Yes, it does need the files organized in a certain way. That's why they're "Authored" as opposed to just having a folder full of files.

However, certain players may be lax enough with the spec that you might be able to get around some/most of the requirements.

I Don't recommend this.

What I believe Baldrick was trying to say (and I agree with him) is:

Using DVDShrink, use the "Re-Author" mode, along with custom start-stop times, in order to get 2 disks that don't need to be further re-compressed (avoiding the quality loss), but which no longer retain all the menu links of the original. Depending on which streams you choose, you could STILL keep the various languages/subtitles.

Or,

Go the easiest way, and get a couple of DL discs. Then you can do a straight burn of the whole program using ImgBurn (assuming you have a DL-capable burner).

Scott
    Quote Quote