VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I got lost in the Search results, many topics are about this but didn't find a proper one for my issue.

I'm writing XviD movie DVDs for my workplace where we can play them with a common standalone DVD player and an analog stereo television. My problem is that 100% of the movies nowadays are made with 5.1 sound and when we play them on our stereo TV their volume has a huge difference between soundeffects/musics and the speech. Actually we have to change volume really frequently.

So I though its something about 5.1 downmixing to stereo when played so I tried to re-encode some movies' sound files (usually ac3) with some random options like changing Dynamic Compression, LFE downmix, center downmix levels, etc, etc.. but nothings really changed. There are a tons of those options I didn't try yet, tho.

Please could you tell me how can I normalize the speech to the other sounds or vice-versa, i don't mind which way but I need to equalize the 5.1 sound to able to hear normally on a stereo TV. Which options I should use on re-encoding with apps like eac3to, beSweet, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not sure if that topic is about the same issue. Soopas talking about increasing the whole ac3 volume doesn't he?

I'm looking for a solution to make the human speech level equal with the other parts of sounds (music, effects, etc).
    Is there a way to increase only the speech/dialog level without modify the rest?
    Or soopa's tool is able to do it in some way?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use AutoGK

...and make it easy on yourself. It automatically processes the 5.1 professionally to mp3 and puts the whole thing in an Xvid file.

As simple as falling off a log.
    Last edited by budwzr; 4th Nov 2011 at 18:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually use Avisynth (directshowsource) to feed the AVI to Virtualdub.
    If you have FFDshow installed, activate the Mixer for two channel stereo.

Once in Virtualdub, File / Save Way (to get PCM wave output), or if you'd like mp3,
    install Lame ACM, and in Virtualdub, set audio/full processing
    audio / compression (choose Lame mp3 and set your bitrate)
    File/save wav. When the wave file is saved, rename it to *.mp3 and you'll be in business.

Mux this new mp3 into your original video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for suggestions! will try both.

Anyway is there an option to re-encode a 5.1 sound file with a boost for speech/dialog volume, while keeping its 5.1 structure and the AC3 format?

Edit:
    To make it cleaner,

input file: 5.1 AC3
    output file: 5.1 AC3 with speech/dialog volume boost.

Is that possible?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have not seen anything that can JUST normalize the speech/dialog while keep the other audio in normal volume.
    Quote Quote  
  8. so its not a unique channel. Could "Dynamic Range" does anything about it? Could I use that option (DRC) to get the same or 'as if' result?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Voxel View Post
    so its not a unique channel. Could "Dynamic Range" does anything about it? Could I use that option (DRC) to get the same or 'as if' result?
    The voice is on the center channel, but getting access to that channel you need audio software. Vegas Pro can edit 5.1, but I don't know about the studio versions. You might take a look at the trial version of Vegas Platinum Studio.

I'm not sure what other software edits 5.1. That format is not widely used except for home theatre systems.

I understand what you're trying to do, to get more clarity on the voice. Another option is to move the center speaker closer on a small table or mount to the ceiling directly overhead.

Give AutoGK a try, it really is a great program, and works very well with AC-3 to MP3 and Xvid too. If you need help on the settings just ask.
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th Nov 2011 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity can do it, but not sure why you'd want to do it that way. Mixing it down to two channel with the appropriate
    dynamic range adjustment, is probably a better choice.

If you want to try and retain the 5.1, install Audacity and the ffmpeg libraries. In the preferences, import/export tab,
    select "use custom mix"
    Quote Quote  
  11. thanks for your time both!

Mixing it down to two channel with the appropriate dynamic range adjustment, is probably a better choice.
    In that case what would be the appropriate DR adjustment for my issue? For example, Ciler's Ac3Tool has a four option to change Dynamic Range: Off, Normal, Heavy, Inverse. BeSweet Mp3Machine ftd also has Light, Normal, Heavy, Inverse. Sometimes I use GoldWave where I can open AC3s too, there are a lot more options to do it in Compressor and Volume menus.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already mentioned a method in post #6.
    The act of passing the audio through FFDshow's mixer does the magic for you.
    Just remember to set the mixer to stereo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mixer.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	9509
    Quote Quote