VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am capturing and archiving VHS videousing a Canopus ADVC110 video converter with Firewire. I have used my USB connectionto download HD video and 8mm tapes with no problem but the captured VHS videohas significant color saturation (almost fluorescent reds, blues, greens etc).I believe I have the settings correct in Sony Vegas for copying the VHS video (NTSCDV (720x480, 29.970fps) and also have tried (NTSC Standard (720x486, 29.970fps)with the same results. I ran my VHS on my TV to check it and the VHS tapes displayedwith no color saturation problems. What could be my issue here? I suspect itmight be the Canopus but am not sure. I am thinking about picking up a differentvideo capture card with a S-Video connection if necessary. Any suggestions forone that is under $150?

Computer Specs
    MSI 785GT-E63
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor
    Memory (RAM) 4.0GB
    Nvidia G-Force GTX-460 video cardwith 1gb memory
    Samsung Synchmaster 226 Display
    Lightscribe 18X DVDRW ATA
    2 Raptor hard drives set up in striped array

VHS Player
    Panasonic AG-1970 (with TBC)

Software
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10.0
    Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)
    Realtek Integrated Digital HD Audio
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post an unmodifed screen cap of what you're seeing?
    Meanwhile, I can mention these factors:
    * Generally, Samsung monitors (and most other monitors) out of the box are oversaturated and too bright with exaggerated blacks and muddied shadow detail. The picture is set to "look good" in a showroom, not in a living room (IMHO the defauilt settings don't look "good" in any environment).
    * Movies display on PC monitors somewhat differently than they do on TV (TV will look brighter); the pixels are smaller, and sRBG isn't exactly comparable to TV viewing without some modification of your monitor.
    * Your monitor and TV should be calibrated to their respective color/level standards using hardware/software packages designed for this task.
    * What viewing and capture parameters do you have set for Vegas? I believe you have to adjust the working colorspace for Rec601/709 16-235 RGB (at least, that's what one has to do in AfterEffects and Premiere pro, anyway, for NTSC video).
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 06:23.
    Quote Quote