VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Ok here's a good one for any one of you outhere. Its getting to be a real headache for me here.

So here's what i've read and learnt after all this months.

MKV is the BEST file format for DVD/BluRay when you wanna store multiple Audio/Subtitle/Video(Angle) tracks from an Optical disc.

MP4 is the MOST COMPATIBLE format for all my Android Phone & Tablet; Wife's Iphone; Family Ipad & PS3.

Unfortunately; there's a love/hate for the subtitles that i've burned into the video's. Best joke is after all this while; i always assumed MP4 was a compression format (like MP3/JPG); not a container like MKV (something like ZIP/RAR). *(Correct me if my analogy is not apt here)

So the best compromise for the gang/family and the DVD/BD collection was to RE-Encode all the DVD's and BD's to MP4 minus the subtitles. I can always grab the SRT from the web. But its a hassle trying to teach people to copy/move an MP4/SRT file combo onto their devices.

'Lo and behold; after that revelation about MP4 being a container; i've been testing some SRT MUX-ing and here's what i've got.

YAMB/MP4Encode/Etc.. do a decent job of muxing; except that my apple devices cant read them properly
    (Eg; I got a 2500KBPS MP4 1hr Video stream. WHen i mux the SRT file; it becomes 1250KBPS and the Apples register 2x Video streams; 2hrs of video!. And it'll actually play 2 whole hrs; same 1hr video repeated twice; but the 2nd/repeated video has no audio track).

Let's not talk about apple/PS3 being able to display/not display the subtitle. I'm just trying to solve WHY the MUX-ing is dropping my bitrate by half but doubling my video length with a 2nd run? Yeah the file size does increase; by a fraction to inject the SRT file. But thats it. File size doesnt double; only reduces my video stream bitrate.

Any help/advice is appreciated on where i'm going wrong with the MUX-ing here.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    PS :- Dont even ask me about Wii; it was a hassle enough just to test and funk around trying to get a video file to work on it. Later when i have kids; i'll have to get the entire tom & jerry kit on that
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try mux with subler or srt iphone and see if works any better.

And HOW did you convert to mp4? Some apps can build in the subtitles directly in the mp4, like handbrake, ripbot264, staxrip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try mux with subler or srt iphone and see if works any better.

And HOW did you convert to mp4? Some apps can build in the subtitles directly in the mp4, like handbrake, ripbot264, staxrip.
    My mp4 conversion is done by FreeFormatFactory. Unfortunately it burns in the subtitle. I've previously used handbrake but in those days it did burn in the subs into the video stream. Didnt know it can mux the subs into the mp4 . Maybe i'll give it one more go. S'long as i try and disable the crop video settings. I'll get back to u on the test results over the weeknd.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    OK... did a 10-min test conversion of DVD > M4v via Handbrake. looks good so far. Good playback on the Android and the Apple's. now gotta go home and run the M4v and see if it works on the PS3.....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    @Baldrick
    Done some testing already via HANDBRAKE. One consistent result, Audio playback on the PS3 is fractionally out of sync; and PS3 CANT read the subtitle. Neither can APPLE's and ANDROID's. Pity. I was hoping 2/3 would read the subtitle; but i'm getting all devices (not including PC) CANT read the M4v's subtitles. Next step srt Iphone as per your suggestion.

Anybody else got any other suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    @Baldrick

Bad news; looks like i CANNOT mux the subtitles into the MP4 using SRT Iphone . I'll have to re-encode my movies all over again. Handbrake's not bad since it can handle BLU-RAY conversion (minus subtitles); but looks like i gotta redo testing for RIPBOT & STAXRIP. Thanx for your feedback.

You'll find attached here a screenshot of 2 MP4/M4V files. The mp4 + SRT is the source and the M4V is the final product. You'll notice how the M4V has just doubled the playback time of my MP4 file....
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoHelp - 20111031.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	9432  

Quote Quote