VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So i just got a new computer and its all SATA so i had to get a PCI card so that i can put my old IDE HDD to my new computer but that hasnt worked out the card never reads my old HDD and i have tried 2 different cards...idk wat else to do.

Someone is going to bring a cable so that he can transfer the data to my new HDD. My old HDD is 250GB going into a 1TB, is the process fast or does it transfer it like file by file? Because i have some "things" I dont want him to see, do you see everything that is gettign transfered during the process?
    Quote Quote  
  2. When you use disk cloning software you don't see the files at all. If you use Explorer to drag and drop you may see the file names.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is being transferred exactly ? ... if windows 7 os then no, it must be reinstalled.

If only user documents ... in general yes they will see the files.

You could have just bought an external ide case ... simpler and almost same cost as a good ide pci controller card.

If as for the first line, transfer of data from ide to sata you may have needed to install drivers during the boot process for that pci controller before it was recognized ... generally not a newbie thing without guidance.

Note:

In general never install pci cards into pci1 as it shares resources with addon video slot / onboard video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried installing the drivers and everything; theres something about my HDD or something because i tried a small 6GB HDD and it read it in a second and i was able to view everything on it. And what do you mean by windows 7 os? I have windows 7 on my new computer but my old computer was an XP. Im going to transfer my whole HDD so you know like movies, pictures, etc.

I dont really know how hes going to do it but its not going to be drag and drop because its a 250GB so that would take forever; he just told me hes going to bring over his transfer cable..?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds as though your old drive may have been set up as a dynamic disk, dynamic disk are not supported in Windows 7. If this is the case you will need to access the drive via a older version of windows (i.e. Windows XP) and use a utility to convert the drive to basic disk don't use windows disk management you will lose your data, there are utilities that can convert the disk with out loss of data.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the info man i'm going to look into that
    Quote Quote