VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have decided to finally transfer all our old 8mm/Hi8 tapes to my PC through Firewire. I have been looking on ebay and a lot of sellers are selling D8 camcorders for $300+. Anyway, I was curious which model is the best, quality-wise to do the conversion? I have been following a few models: TRV-330, TRV-350, TRV-460 and TRV-480. Does/Did anyone use those to convert 8mm/Hi8 tapes? How were they? Any recommendations on any models that I haven't been looking at?
    Last edited by Optical; 21st Oct 2011 at 23:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's not really a question at this point which was best 10 years ago. it's what can you find in decent working order with video heads that aren't toast. try local first so you can try it before buying it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. They all perform the same. Just avoid the low end models that don't feature analog playback (the 4 you listed DO support that feature).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    They all perform the same. Just avoid the low end models that don't feature analog playback (the 4 you listed DO support that feature).
    Do any of those have certain features that the others don't have? What I mean is do they have any special features that make the playback of 8mm/Hi8 better?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Optical View Post
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    They all perform the same. Just avoid the low end models that don't feature analog playback (the 4 you listed DO support that feature).
    Do any of those have certain features that the others don't have? What I mean is do they have any special features that make the playback of 8mm/Hi8 better?
    From a playback perspective, they are all the same. Digital 8 equipment enjoys high resale value due to demand for digital conversion in the law enforcement sector. Hi-8 was very popular for in-car recording before digital recording became cost effective.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Originally Posted by Optical View Post
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    From a playback perspective, they are all the same. Digital 8 equipment enjoys high resale value due to demand for digital conversion in the law enforcement sector. Hi-8 was very popular for in-car recording before digital recording became cost effective.
    I see.. that would explain the high cost. Lets hope one turns up locally for under $100.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I was able to find a TRV-480 in great condition for a little over $100 locally. I am surprised how much better the video quality is using this machine that the original camera it was filmed on. Now my question is whether to burn each tape to DVD or put multiple tapes on Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am pursuing the same goal, and I have done a few hours of research online on the subject of these Sony Digital8 machines. By far the best info on features of particular models is here: http://forum.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t48170.html
    Just download the spreadsheet and start comparing. The list contains all the answers - is invaluable!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by peto View Post
    I am pursuing the same goal, and I have done a few hours of research online on the subject of these Sony Digital8 machines. By far the best info on features of particular models is here: http://forum.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t48170.html
    Just download the spreadsheet and start comparing. The list contains all the answers - is invaluable!
    The above link does not seem to work for me and I can not even register on that site. Does someone have that spreadsheet and could I get a copy please?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a copy of the spreadsheet, but I do not know how to attach .xls file here in the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well, upon review, here is the xls file converted to pdf, which than can be converted back to a regular spreadsheet?
    Image Attached Thumbnails DigitalCamcorderFeatures_20050311.pdf  

Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks so much the PDF is ok I think. I am only interested in the info. I do not have to reorder it or anything. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Glad to be of help. Yet, if you google "Digital Camcorder Features Chart, Copyright Ira Perlow", the very first link, when clicked "view as HTML", should give you the proper spreadsheet layout, which is much easier to work with for comparison purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thank you! Yes that is much better. I never tried the "view as HTML" option. Just clicking on it in any browser never opened for me. You are a scholar and a saint.
    Quote Quote  
  15. All right! Hehehe, do I wish.... I only pay my dues for all the help I have received online from many other "saints". Best of luck to you!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hello,

The link to the .xls file isn't valid anymore, if anybody still have it I'll be really interested.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Doubtful, but there is a hard-to-read PDF conversion 5 posts above yours.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Very very hard to read
    Quote Quote  
  19. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    If it's just the Hi8->Digital8 conversion info you want, I posted a list of all the models I could find with that feature: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355121-Sony-Handycam-Digital8-camcorders-with-analo...gital-passthru
    Quote Quote  
  20. This might be helpful http://www2.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t48170.html
    That is where I got the spreadsheet by Ira Perlow. If the link is dead, I have the file, but as I've written above, it is an .ods file (on Linux in Libra Office) and not in MS .xls
    I'd be happy to share it, but have no idea how to post it/attach it here. The .pdf I had posted here is workable, but cumbersome, I admit. Tell me how, and I will get it up to you.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's really simple; right below this post is the Quick Reply box. At the bottom left of the text entry field is an Upload Files/Manage Attachments button. Click on that and the rest should be straightforward. Just give it some time to upload since there is no progress bar. When it's done it will show the filename and size. Enter some text into the post and hit Reply.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Got it, thank you, here it goes....No, and now I remember - .ods files are not allowed here, and I did not know how to convert it to another spreadsheet format that's acceptable.
    Any more ideas on this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by peto View Post
    Got it, thank you, here it goes....No, and now I remember - .ods files are not allowed here, and I did not know how to convert it to another spreadsheet format that's acceptable.
    Any more ideas on this?
    ?? Every openoffice package I've ever seen has always been able to export to XLS...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. OK, so which of these should I use/convert to?
    3gp 500.00 MB
    7z 500.00 MB
    aac 500.00 MB
    ac3 500.00 MB
    asf 500.00 MB
    avi 500.00 MB
    avs 500.00 MB
    bmp 500.00 MB
    dmg 500.00 MB
    doc 500.00 MB
    dts 500.00 MB
    dv 500.00 MB
    flac 500.00 MB
    flv 500.00 MB
    gif 500.00 MB
    jpeg 500.00 MB
    jpg 500.00 MB
    log 500.00 MB
    m2t 500.00 MB
    m2ts 500.00 MB
    m2v 500.00 MB
    m4a 500.00 MB
    mka 500.00 MB
    mkv 500.00 MB
    mov 500.00 MB
    mp2 500.00 MB
    mp3 500.00 MB
    mp4 500.00 MB
    mpa 500.00 MB
    mpg 500.00 MB
    mpv 500.00 MB
    msi 500.00 MB
    mts 500.00 MB
    ogm 500.00 MB
    pdf 500.00 MB
    png 500.00 MB
    psd 500.00 MB
    rar 500.00 MB
    srt 500.00 MB
    sub 500.00 MB
    ts 500.00 MB
    txt 500.00 MB
    vob 500.00 MB
    wav 500.00 MB
    wma 500.00 MB
    wmv 500.00 MB
    xml 500.00 MB
    zip 500.00 MB
    Last edited by peto; 20th Nov 2013 at 10:17. Reason: I forgot to add, that these are the allowed formats. My LibreOffice cannot do any one them. of the only do the
    Quote Quote  
  25. One more try: Zamzar converted the ods to an xml, which I am attaching here.

Peto
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    ZIP is the magic answer to upload any format here. (And RAR, on Windows at least.)
    Quote Quote  
  27. I like magic and magicians - thank you vaporean800. One of the attached should work, I trust.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by peto; 21st Nov 2013 at 08:54. Reason: Ira Perlow did a phenomenal job collecting all that info, and it has been invaluable to me. Many thanks, Mr Perlow.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I like magic and magicians - thank you vaporean800. One of the attached should work, I trust. Ira Perlow did a phenomenal job collecting all that info and arranging it in this spreadsheet. I am certain, that I am not the only one who's found it invaluable. Enjoy, and many thanks, Mr Perlow!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  29. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks. Grabbed the XLS and viewing it via Google Docs.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Here is a rearranged version of the chart with the miniDV and DVD camcorder models removed. I moved the relevant info for our purposes to the top, condensed several of the rows, and removed those that were completely blank for every model, along with others like Analog Outputs that applied to every single model.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Al23gnOHhKFwdE5LdUNtT3d4SnZFZHM3NzE2Z1NUeHc&output=html
    Quote Quote