VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Video capture devices available are many with questionable results. I am searching for a quality device that will easily convert VHS tapes to digital formats that can then be burned to DVD's playable on home DVD players. Any experienced recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've always used Hauppauge products, i have 2 HD capture cards and 1 SD card.
    HD card # 1: hauppauge colossus
    HD card # 2: HD PVR
    SD card #1: Hauppuage 250

both work great, use the 250 or 350 for vhs tapes
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also, use the wintv software to cap the video. use a third party video trimmer/cutter ( i use videoredo) im sure there are free ones available.
    i think hauppauge bundles some sort of program that can create the dvd for you, if not their are plenty of other programs listed on this site.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best capture card in the world will still give you crap if you don't start with an SVHS deck with a line TBC. Spend your money there first.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks for the replies. Do you know anything about Hauppuage's new device "USB-Live2: a USB based video capture device for your Windows PC"? It looks simple enough being a plug-in device to computer and VHS tape player. Do you think it could be used to accomplish my task? Supposedly it is supplied with a program disc? i have a Windows 7 system on a Dell 430 Ultimate computer with 4GB of ram.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanray19 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Do you know anything about Hauppuage's new device "USB-Live2: a USB based video capture device for your Windows PC"? It looks simple enough being a plug-in device to computer and VHS tape player. Do you think it could be used to accomplish my task? Supposedly it is supplied with a program disc? i have a Windows 7 system on a Dell 430 Ultimate computer with 4GB of ram.
    I haven't heard anything about Hauppauge's USB-Live2 here. That probably means it is unremarkable. There are a number of devices like Hauppauge's USB-Live2 with similar features that claim to capture VHS and have the ability to take snapshots. It will probably produce decent results, but that depends on it getting good input.

There is no capture device or capture software that can magically correct a poor signal on their own. Good captures are dependent upon the VCR and other equipment feeding a stable, time-base corrected signal to the capture device.

You came here because you recognize you need advice. Listen to Jagabo's advice about getting an SVHS deck with a line TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm only interested in converting my one VHS collector movie. Perhaps an investment such as recommended would not be worthwhile. Does anyone know of a reputable video conversion company that could reliably convert my VHS movie to a playable DVD? Once again, like video conversion hardware and software offerings, there are many such companies that profess to be able to do this but I suspect many cannot do a quality job and indeed may not be reliable?
    Can anyone recommend a company with which they have had good results?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Can anyone recommend a company with which they have had good results?"
    Haven't used them myself but would recommend: http://www.digitalfaq.com/services/video-conversion-tape-to-dvd.htm

If possible, make as good a copy of the tape as possible before mailing it - things do sometime happen in transit.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks verify for your reply. I will check out your reference and post on this thread the results obtained if I use them. I like that they are a US based company and appear to have advanced video conversion equipment and experience. Perhaps they can make my desired one time conversion saving me expense and most of all substantial frustration!!
    Quote Quote