VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have a video that is quite dear to me but unfortunately dreadful quality. It's in WMV format and I've already converted it to MP4 and AVI - MP4 coming out the best and better quality than the original file. However, I wondered if there was a better conversion or any other idea which might increase the quality of this video - if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
    Quote Quote  
  2. Usually it only gets worse, because of lossy compression. Each time you convert it with lossy compression, data is thrown away

It depends what you mean by "dreadful quality". If there is something specific, then you might be able to apply a specific filter to improve subjective quality (e.g. if too bright, then darken, if too noisy, then denoise, if it's too blocky, deblock it...etc.. you get the idea)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By dreadful quality I mean that it's barely watchable. The picture is all broken up and you can't really make out what is happening at times - I've gone to properties of the actual file and note that it says '15 frames per second' where as all my other videos seem to say 30 frames for second........possibly this is the reason.

There is a definate improvement when I convert it to AVI and a bigger improvement after being converted to MP4. It's still awful though and hence I wondered if there was a better format or something else I'm not thinking of?!

Thanks, Nick
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nickbrace View Post
    MP4 coming out the best and better quality than the original file.
    There is a definate improvement when I convert it to AVI and a bigger improvement after being converted to MP4
    Since you have already convinced yourself of the impossible.....this conversation can go no further.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    MP4 coming out the best and better quality than the original file.
    There is a definate improvement when I convert it to AVI and a bigger improvement after being converted to MP4
    Since you have already convinced yourself of the impossible.....this conversation can go no further.
    No not at all - thats not what I said is it? I said that there has been an improvement and I wonder if there is another format which would be even better than MP4. Rather than waste my time being rude - maybe you should either try to be helpful or crack on with some work and not spend your day making sarcastic remarks.
    Quote Quote