VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm really interrested in Badaboom2 for its features in transcoding through GPU instead of CPU. Much faster is the process of transcoding.
    I'm daily compressing vids with Vdub 1.10.0. I've noticed the new Virtualdub's external encoder feature. But iI don't know if it's possible to use this two programs together.
    In fact, I don't know the exact difference between a transcoder and an encoder. But I guess it's not the same.
    My graphic card is an Nvidia 8800 GT (supporting cuda) and is working fine with badaboom trial version.

If Badaboom is not supported as an external encoder, is there another way to encode with my GPU ?

Thanks for your answers (and I apologize for my poor english)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I guess this no-answer means my question was really stupid. Maybe I should have post it in the thread for newbies. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried frame serving to Badaboom? GPU encoding is pretty low quality.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/828-27/h-264-encoding-cpu-vs-gpu-nvidia-cuda-amd-st...-and-x264.html

x264 with the veryfast preset is faster and better quality. I use:

x264 --preset=veryfast --crf 18 --ref 3 --bframes 2 --sar x:y
    That encodes full DVD 720x480 movies in about 20 minutes on my i5 2500K.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Oct 2011 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh thanks for answering so fast, jagabo.

I have never used frame serving but I 'm gonna try your solution. I don't need high quality compression because my vids are technical and not artistic at all. I never encode DVD : it is either streaming or podcast videos.
    That's why Badaboom is really good enough for my needs; did you try Badaboom2 ? Maybe the quality was pretty low in badaboom1 ?

Concerning the fast preset specifications for x264 you give me, where should I paste this code line ? in the main tab of the x264 vfw configuration window?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kaskaï View Post
    I have never used frame serving but I 'm gonna try your solution.
    I don't know for sure that Badaboom will accept frame served video (video frames passed directly from one program to another) from VirtualDub. Some encoders do, some don't.

Originally Posted by kaskaï View Post
    Concerning the fast preset specifications for x264 you give me, where should I paste this code line ? in the main tab of the x264 vfw configuration window?
    It depends on which x264vfw interface you have. I've seen two. One explicitly has the presets -- in that one you just select the veryfast preset. The other you have to manually specify the options you want. The critical ones for speed (with still good quality) are:

Max frame refs: 3
    ME algorithm DIA
    SubPixel ME refinement: 4 QPel
    Max consecutive b-frames: 2

I don't know if this site is up to date but it shows the preset settings:
    http://blog.dest-unreach.be/2009/09/08/x264-presets
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326888-How-to-encode-using-H-x264-in-Virtual-dub?p=2103674 I can see the two interfaces for x 264 vfw. Mine seems to be the "expert one" with 3 tabs as you can see in this guide:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	virtualdub1100csxv.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	9244
    Max frame refs: 3
    ME algorithm DIA
    SubPixel ME refinement: 4 QPel
    Max consecutive b-frames: 2
    I will test your specs but maybe I should change and choose your more simple version of x264vfw.

Thanks jagabo, I will first study documentation of frame serving in Vdub.
    Quote Quote