VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

Next week, we hope to produce a 2 min video clip that can be played on mobile phones...I was wondering how to set 'best' my format (input) for the Sony PMW-EX 1 we are going to use? In combination with 4:3 instead of 16:9 because of the small screens in general?

PAL:
    HQ 1080/50i
    HQ 1080/25p
    HQ 720/50p
    HQ 720/25p

To convert it well to a mobile format (output) in either 3gp or mp4?

I am new to this type of video and any input with this is welcome. I am based in Mali, West-Africa.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    set the cam to it's highest quality 1080/25p. mask off the cam's video display to the center 4:3 and shoot only within those marks. then import the video into your editor and crop it for 4:3 if that is your market, but most newer devices will show 16/9 fine, and i'd leave it that way. export to mp4 for the highest compatibility, but you can always make both types and offer either.

even it you decide to go with 16/9 it's a good idea to keep all the action in a 4:3 box while recording just in case you need it 4:3 for something later.

shooting the highest quality should give you the best source for later re-encoding. staying all progressive will save you the headache of de-interlacing for progressive devices and it's quality loss.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote