VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

I just acquired a Quadro 2000D video card to run PP CS5.5 with. According to videos on YouTube, posted by end users and some by Adobe, video encoding(?) should be faster with the MPE GPU acceleration enabled, as opposed to software mode. I, however, am NOT seeing any difference in encoding times. For example, if I drop 2 AVCHD clips on the timeline and run AME with MPE GPU acceleration and software only, the encode times are the same. My card is on the approved list, BTW.

Am I expecting too much??

Running I7-860 2.8 GHz, 8 Gigs ram.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  2. Encoding isn't affected directly by CUDA. MPE uses software enhancements and CUDA to accelerate rendering of some transitions and effects, so in effect it reduces the bottleneck, and more CPU resources can be allocated to encoding. So if you have an FX heavy project with multiple layers, effects, transitions, you will see a bigger difference , sometimes 5-10x faster, or even more

So for a no edit/effects project, expect similar export/encoding speed, because nothing is accelerated

Note this is different than the 3rd party Elemental accelerator, which does use CUDA + quadro to encode for CS4, I think support has not been added for CS5
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. It cleared things up for me quite a bit.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to increase render threads in Premiere? And turn down Preview RAM?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the Effects tab there are three buttons. The first one will expand and show only the Accelerated Effects. The second button displays 32-bit color effects and the last one displays YUV effects. If you put a project together with just the Accelerated effects you should see better render times using the GPU.
    The more you learn, the less you know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's some more information about what is accelerated by CUDA:
    "CUDA, Mercury Playback Engine, and Adobe Premiere Pro"
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects Help & Support
    Quote Quote