VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have searched the threads and, although there are similar threads, none which answer my question. I apologize in advance if I have missed the appropriate thread.

I am trying to add subtitles to some downloaded movies using Handbrake on my Mac but not having much success. I am coverting the movies to .mp4 files so I can watch them on either my iPad or Apple TV.

When using the subtitle function in Handbrake, the .avi and .srt file names are the same. I open the movie through "Source", I then add the .srt file through "add external SRT", and then I hit "Start" to convert the movie. After conversion, the movie will play in VLC with subtitles. However, soft subtitles are not added when I convert the .avi file to an .mp4 file. I am using the current version of Handbrake (0.9.5).

What am I doing wrong?

Also, occasionally I have realized that I should have added an .srt file for subtitles to an .mp4 file that I have already converted. When I try to add the .srt file in Handbrake, Handbrake immediately thinks it has already converted the movie and hence does not add subtitles. Anyway around this without going back to the original .avi file?

I have iSubtitles, but haven't used it (yet) in the hope that I can add subtitles using Handbrake when converting the movie file formats.

Any and all help appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think you have to use subler to add the subs to the mp4/m4v so it works on quicktime/ipod/iphone/itunes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Baldrick.

I have downloaded Subler and have done everyhting step-by-step as listed on the Subler website, but still cannot get subtitles on to the .mp4 file. I open a movie and then import the movie's .srt file and make sure I have chosen English for the subtitles if necessary (and both the .mp4 and.srt files have the same name). I then save and send to iTunes. However, there are no subtitles when this movie is played in iTunes (I have not tried playing them on either Apple TV or iPad).

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have .srt files, then the easiest way to get this done (and with plenty of -easy- options to tweak the results) is to use Submerge and export the file to a new .mp4 (which will then have burned-in subtitles that will work in -all- devices that play .mp4 files).

If you just "save" the file (instead of exporting), the subtitle becomes a movie track that will play properly on your Mac but I'm not sure whether iTunes will display the sub track (but it's worth a shot).

You may download Submerge and test it before you have to pay for it ($20?, IIRC). It's a great app and an indispensable part of my toolkit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This happened to me when using Handbreak.
    I imported the SRT file by clicking the "Import SRT" but forgot to click the "Add" button to create the track before converting the AVI to MP4.
    I tried again and worked.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rrealh View Post
    This happened to me when using Handbreak.
    I imported the SRT file by clicking the "Import SRT" but forgot to click the "Add" button to create the track before converting the AVI to MP4.
    I tried again and worked.
    Me too
    Quote Quote  
  7. I posted a question on the Subler forum last night and one of the adminstrators replied with the solution: I had to enable subtitles in iTunes to be able to view the movie with subtitles. So simple, yet I still feel like an idiot.

So ... Subler works very well for adding subtitles to .mp4 files. Bonus features are the ability to import metadata and artwork for downloaded movies.

I haven't looked at Submerge yet, but will when I get a chance.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What would be the easiest way on a PC? Subler is a Mac application. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think srt iphone does the same.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ok...so I have been reading some of the comments and I too cannot figure out why I cant add the subtitles to the .mp4 file that ive created using handbreak. I dont know where i can import the SRT. Do i still have to download subler? HELP!! thanks in advance. Maybe someone can break it down to me in steps since Im a dummy thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Submerge does the job. If the subtitles aren't in the proper format then convert them using Jubler first. Jubler can also correct subtitle timing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks so much @rumplestiltskin, i will download those and test it out!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  14. This article will show you a step by step guide on how to find and download the right subtitles for your MP4 videos as well as add subtitles to MP4. In fact, this guide also applies to add subtitles to AVI, MKV, WTV, WMV, VOB, MPG, MOV, DV, FLV, WebM, OGV, and etc.You can find it at
    http://www.avdshare.com/add-subtitles-to-mp4
    Quote Quote