VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. went to my GF and converted & burned video from MKV to AVI using winavi (havent tried to burn mkv and see if that works) . plays well on pc, but when placed in the dvd player it just wont recognize. isnt avi divx format? it says it plays divx files. I also did a dvd video compilation (ifo/bup/vob) and that didnt work.

my other question is the movie is a HD movie and the is not a BD player so im guessing no HD movies. is this a problem? must I change the resolution when converting from mkv to avi or will the dvd play the file at the max resolution it can?

should I use the mp4 format instead? which of these formats I have available should I use to convert the mkv files in winavi?
    MPEG-4
    ZJMEDIA MP4
    XVID
    H.264/AVC
    MPEG-4 MS variant3
    H.263

Any help appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, DVD players almost never support HD Divx. I don't know of any that do but I suppose there might be one somewhere in the world that does.

You need to keep the resolution below 720x576 or you'll likely have problems. I've heard of a few weird cases where 800-something x 200-something worked, but generally speaking if you go above 720 in the horizontal or 576 in the vertical it won't play. Since you live in the US you might want to stick to 720x480 as your resolution limit.

NO, you absolutely should NOT use MP4. That is even less likely to play. You want to use Xvid. And for audio I'd recommend using CBR MP3 for best results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. some great info. thank will try xvid and see how that goes and will limit my rez to the 480p.

what should a 480p vid in xvid weigh since I have the option to input the size I want.

I dont have cbr mp3. just regular mp3.

thanks again for the help. cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    480p = 720x480

With regards to MP3, CBR= Constant Bit Rate. VBR (Variable Bit Rate) doesn't really save much space over CBR and it can introduce synch problems on some players, so that's why I suggest using CBR when possible. If WinAVI doesn't allow you to set that, then there's nothing you can do but hope for the best.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the reply again Jman.

These are the options for audio in winavi.
    ATSC A/52A (AC-3)
    AAC
    MP2
    MP3
    PCM s16bit LE

is there a free converter I can use here that you would recommend for xvid that does CBR?

thanks again.

Btw, how big a file should an xvid be at 480p?
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK converted the movie to xvid and went to her house to play it but it didnt do a thing. I used a rez of 700x376 which I got from using this website:
    http://andrew.hedges.name/experiments/aspect_ratio/ to give me the proper proportions.

it recognized it in the menu but didnt play it at all. in fact it locked up the dvd player to the point I had to unplug it to get any reaction from it. I did burn another movie which played well (IFO/BUP/VOB)

it has divx kodak MP4 logos on the akai player. Should I try to convert it to MP4 and see if that goes?
    Quote Quote