VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am a noob to video capturing on PC, so I'm looking for some advice on this. To start, the reason I am looking into video capturing, is to build this to work with my Playstation 3:

http://ladyada.net/make/adalight/

As it stands, this only works for PC videos/gaming video outputs. I have posted on their forums, my theory on getting it to work for the Playstation 3. I have been advised that in theory, my plan should work, but they are not sure if lag may become an issue here. So now I am posting this question here.

I will be using an HDMI splitter to send video feeds directly to my TV, and a 2nd feed to my computer. I am looking into my options for a Video Capture Device or card for my PC, with little to no lag. As far as straight feed to TV, I would like it to be 1080p, but for the capture on my computer Quality can be compromised (720p is fine) and to a certain extent the FPS. Sound is not important for this to work, as it has no bearing on what colours the LED lights will display (and I mention this, in hopes that cutting off sound may reduce the lag). Also for this to work, it is not necessary to actually record what is being fed, but to have just a full screen video feed on the PC.

I don't want to spend too much money on this, but willing to weigh my options of price vs less lag. Can anyone suggest what capture devices I should purchase?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't promise you it will work for your project, but the AverMedia HD DVR (PCI-e) is the least expensive HDMI capture device available. It allows watching/recording up to 1080i video, and stereo audio. It provides uncompressed video, and relies on software for encoding captures. Some people report no discernable lag just watching video with this card (not capturing), but other people report a little lag. You need a powered HDMI splitter in order to feed the capture card and a TV.

HDMI capture is somewhat problematic for the PS3, because its HDMI output is HDCP protected. Technology licensing for HDMI prevents capture devices from recording or displaying HDCP protected input. However, this thread might contain some information you would find helpful if attempting to use an AverMedia HD DVR PCI-e card to watch HDCP protected video. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335793-AverTV-HD-DVR-drivers?p=2085099
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the reply, now you've sent me on another quest to figure out the best way to override the HDCP (so far I have come across the HDFury). From what I've been reading HDCP seems to only effect High Definition, if i were to do a video feed through my computer at SD quality for blu-rays, and 720p for games, would that be a possible solution? Like I've said, I don't need HD to program the ambilights, just a full screen lag-less (as much as possible) video feed on my PC. Also, would cutting the sound from the feed reduce the lag?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NexusSIX1976 View Post
    thanks for the reply, now you've sent me on another quest to figure out the best way to override the HDCP (so far I have come across the HDFury). From what I've been reading HDCP seems to only effect High Definition, if i were to do a video feed through my computer at SD quality for blu-rays, and 720p for games, would that be a possible solution? Like I've said, I don't need HD to program the ambilights, just a full screen lag-less (as much as possible) video feed on my PC. Also, would cutting the sound from the feed reduce the lag?
    Sorry. I don't have an AVerMedia HD DVR or a PS3 to test with, and I don't know the answers to these questions. I don't have an HDFury either. All I can tell you is that HDCP strippers aren't cheap, or easy to get if one lives in N. America.

[Edit]Just in case you don't know it the products in the HDFury line convert HDMI to analog component or VGA. They do not provide HDMI output.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Oct 2011 at 20:51.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm hoping someone else could also chime in on this. It's not that I need an HDMI output, as I will be using the HDMI splitter to have 2 simultaneous feeds from the PS3. One going directly to the TV at 1080p, the other going to the computer at a fullscreen lag-less video feed at almost any quality, so Arduino can get the color data of the edges of the video, which in turn sends to the LED lights. When I am using my PS3 on my TV, I will be using the PS3 to TV source for viewing, not the PS3 to PC to TV source. If you go back to my original post, at the link, and scroll down, you will see a screen cap of what Arduino is actually doing. The unfortunate thing is, There is currently no easy ambilight mod, where the source doesn't come from your PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1080p is not an option unless you want to look at crazy-expensive capture cards. BlackMagic's website has removed claims that their USB3-based Shuttle works with 1080p60.

For various reasons, the video sent to both devices has to be the same. Most PS3 games are only 720p anyway.

You don't need an HDCP stripper for the AVerTV card, you just need the old drivers linked above and a simple trick.

AVerTV HD DVR lag measurements: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=21053240&postcount=388

I don't see why you would actually need HD video for the LED measurements, but HDMI to SVideo scan converters aren't cheap either and would probably add even more lag when you add in an SD capture card.
    Quote Quote