VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought this blu ray player which said i could use my external hard drive to play movies back. I've had no problems before using the external hard drive on my ps3 or my parent's sony blu ray player before. This is the blu ray player... Any help would really be appericated.
    http://www.lg.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=BD5...oduct-profile#
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it will recognize a NTFS or FAT32 formatted external drive. Unlike the PS3, it will play MKV files. It will not play .vob files unless the extension is changed to .mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Megahurts View Post
    Yes, it will recognize a NTFS or FAT32 formatted external drive. Unlike the PS3, it will play MKV files. It will not play .vob files unless the extension is changed to .mpg.

I have the same player and when I tried to play movies from an external drive, it kept saying "empty" on movies.
    I called customer support, and they said NO movies from an external drive will play regardless of the format of the movie.

It plays music and photos only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Psco2007 View Post
    Originally Posted by Megahurts View Post

I have the same player and when I tried to play movies from an external drive, it kept saying "empty" on movies.
    I called customer support, and they said NO movies from an external drive will play regardless of the format of the movie.

It plays music and photos only.
    Say what?

I've seen people on youtube play there movies via this blu ray player...
    Quote Quote  
  5. My BD-550 won't play anything but audio and image files from local sources. MP3, WMA, JPG, PNG. That's what the manual states too. Their web site used to say it also played video files like the 530 and 570.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Oct 2011 at 13:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what a strange company lg is. my bd570 and 670 play most anything from any input(disc/usb/network).
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Canadian BD550C will play video files that the US model will not. I examined the pdf manuals for the two and they are not the same. Page 10 from the user manuals of the two LG websites shows the most obvious difference. The BD550C is on the left, the US BD550 is on the right.

It clearly shows mkv and mpeg support in the Canadian model.

The name of the pdf manual from the Canadian LG site is BD561-N-ACANLLR-ENG.pdf.
    The US one is BD561-N_BUSALLK_OM_MFL64940425.pdf.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BD550.jpg
Views:	6925
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	9181  

Quote Quote  
  8. Where can I get the firmware for the canadian model? Oh crap, then it probably won't play Netflix -- the main reason I got it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm not sure this will work, but it's worth a try before you give up all hope on having both Netflix and streaming from an external hard drive.

There are several different servers available and some have the ability to "re-encode on the fly". Windows Media Center depending on the version. There is also Serviio which is free, or Mezzmo which has a free trial.

What server are you using? If you haven't already, I would try downloading Serviio on to your computer first. Through the set up, I believe you'll be able to point Serviio to your external hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The BD550 doesn't have a DLNA client -- so a DLNA server won't help.
    Quote Quote