VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a noob, but looking to edit video taken with a Flip in 720p. Running Windows 7. I was looking at a few of these:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software#Open_source_software
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of editing did you have mind?

Lightworks = Steep learning curve. Doesn't support many input sources.
    Avisynth =Complex. You "code"/script everything.
    VLMC =Very buggy.
    Avidemux =Not that advanced, filters, basic joining and cuttting.

Maybe is Windows Live Movie Maker a better alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd try AVIDemux. I use Virtualdub more often, which is similar. But AVIDemux works with more codecs natively. If you plan to do a lot of intensive editing and filtering, Avisynth is useful. But it's a command line program, so not so easy to use.

And you should be aware with highly compressed codecs like H.264, Divx or similar, that you can't make cuts just anywhere. It's the nature of the codec, not the editor. Most times you want to cut on keyframes (I frames) or you risk video breakup and audio sync problems. Or you can re-encode just at the cut point to avoid re-encoding the whole video. Virtualdub has a 'smart rendering' function that makes this easier.

Highly compressed codecs use widely spaced I frames. An I frame is a full frame of video. Divx uses about 300 I frame spacing for example. In between the I frames are just partial frames that are the difference in the video to the next full I frame. Makes frame accurate editing a real PITA.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What are your thoughts on VideoLAN Movie Creator?

By input sources, do you mean importing video into the program directly, or the file types?

I'd certainly try Windows Live Movie Maker for starters. Aside from the above, and steep learning curve, how is Lightworks? I may be noobish at video editing, but am not at all a noob as far as overall PC stuff goes. Plus I'd be willing to learn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you afford $45 ? http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd

Video is the hottest thing going, and expected to remain so, and paid software makers are way ahead in the game.
    Last edited by budwzr; 14th Oct 2011 at 20:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I can afford it! I was thinking of starting with open source/free for starters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by landstake View Post
    I can afford it! I was thinking of starting with open source/free for starters.
    Sony Vegas works. If you worship free "open", expect to waste a decade.

For Vegas, Movie Studio Platinum is minimum unless you only do SD.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right, the free tools have always been arcane. Although AutoGK was an attempt to bring something to the masses, most of the other programs are for the geeks with pocket protectors and slide rules.

You'll see some of that play out here once in a while. They start throwing codes and algebra around and compete to see whose formula is geekier.

Sometimes one will catch the other that a symbol or plus sign is out of order and they all rejoice and make merriment among themselves. It's like "The big bang theory" show on TV.

Yukk, no fun. Hahaha.
    Last edited by budwzr; 14th Oct 2011 at 23:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Right, the free tools have always been arcane. Although AutoGK was an attempt to bring something to the masses, most of the other programs are for the geeks with pocket protectors and slide rules.

You'll see some of that play out here once in a while. They start throwing codes and algebra around and compete to see whose formula is geekier.

Sometimes one will catch the other that a symbol or plus sign is out of order and they all rejoice and make merriment among themselves. It's like "The big bang theory" show on TV.

Yukk, no fun. Hahaha.
    Ha ha
    Coming from a coding background, I can relate
    10 days ago, a generated code for the JW player was missing a space
    Can you imagine finding a missing space?
    I finally spotted it
    For me, it was "WTF????"
    Lame...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same thing with Flowplayer (opensource). I finally got it going, and I'm scared to make any changes. And with lots of people running "No Script" nowadays it's even harder to get something going.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks! So is Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 a good entry level option?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by landstake View Post
    Thanks! So is Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 a good entry level option?
    Go for the Platinum version if you use AVCHD, h.264 or need the basic codecs. The entry version lacks most codec user controls. Very dumbed down.

The Flip isn't directly supported. You may need to convert externally to prep the video/audio for Vegas. Best to try the demo first.
    Last edited by edDV; 28th Oct 2011 at 03:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yah, Flip video IS supported, I had one. Check this chart: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare

OR

Download the cheapest one, and try it. Looks to me like that's all you need for now to get your feet wet. Upgrading always credits you for what you paid in, so no need to jump ahead.

And there's NO difference between boxed and download versions, except the price.
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Oct 2011 at 11:27.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm inclined to say that avisynth is the most powerful NLE available, free or not. The learning curve though is very steep, but if you master it you can do just about everything with the tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although I haven't used the laterst basic VMS version 11, previous versions had many grayed out menus and lacked ability to customize project and render templates. The Platinum version also allows non-obvious project modes like 24p progressive and 60p that are undocumented. That doesn't show up in the comparison chart except as "Customizable render templates".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by epsilonalpha View Post
    I'm inclined to say that avisynth is the most powerful NLE available, free or not. The learning curve though is very steep, but if you master it you can do just about everything with the tools.
    avisynth is a very powerful collection of conversion tools, but it is not an NLE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's the problem with Blender too, it can do just about anything, but the learning curve is way too steep. Not to mention all the arcane jargon.

The other end of the spectrum is Do-It-For-You software. Drag a comet on the page from an icon, throw in some text, and proclaim to the world that you "made" that. That's not acceptable either.

It all depends on the end user, which one is best.
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Oct 2011 at 15:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Although I haven't used the laterst basic VMS version 11, previous versions had many grayed out menus and lacked ability to customize project and render templates. The Platinum version also allows non-obvious project modes like 24p progressive and 60p that are undocumented. That doesn't show up in the comparison chart except as "Customizable render templates".
    I totally agree, the Platinum is the best bang for the buck, but I already mentioned $45.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I'm inclined to say that avisynth is the most powerful NLE available, free or not. The learning curve though is very steep, but if you master it you can do just about everything with the tools.
    avisynth is a very powerful collection of conversion tools, but it is not an NLE.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AvsP

used that all the time, for my needs its plenty enough (and could be way more).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AvsP

used that all the time, for my needs its plenty enough (and could be way more).
    Post a movie to Youtube that you edited in avisynth only.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I'd rather not. What do you want to prove/disprove anyway?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd rather not. What do you want to prove/disprove anyway?
    That avisynth is not a usable NLE. I see it more as a video processor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system
    http://broadcastengineering.com/production/nonlinear_editors/
    Last edited by edDV; 29th Oct 2011 at 06:33.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    That's the problem with Blender too, it can do just about anything, but the learning curve is way too steep. Not to mention all the arcane jargon.
    Yes Blender is uber-powerful, and with a steep learning curve. But the built-in NLE is not so difficult a task to tackle. There's loads of info & tutes out there about it. It's actually very good!

Having said that, I agree that Vegas Platinum is perhaps the best. Or the latest Magix Movie Edit Pro MX Plus.

And I agree that avisynth is NOT a NLE. There has been attempts to use it as an engine for a NLE that have all fizzled out.
    Quote Quote  
  24. By definition, it is, since there are now pretty stable frame accurate source filter available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system

If you mean the lack of pretty pretty effect, then maybe not (easy, but feasible). Btw, what do you want to do with an NLE that Avisynth cannot do?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by epsilonalpha View Post
    If you mean the lack of pretty pretty effect, then maybe not (easy, but feasible). Btw, what do you want to do with an NLE that Avisynth cannot do?
    Well, more than "cut n splice". I want to be able to sync up video & audio timelines & cut between them, multicam editing, copy & paste segments etc. You can only do this stuff "practically" with a gui with timelines. I'm not saying avisynth can't do this, but it's simply "impractical" unless you have a visual gui wrapped around it. You just can't do this stuff with a script. You need the visual cues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would compare this debate to DOS vs. Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  27. that's a bit extreme, best is subjective after all.

@chowmein
    that's reason I can accept, avspmod made everything easier tho'.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not open source, but I have one program to suggest if it hasn't come up before; TrakAx PC. It has both free and pro versions, with a pro license costing a mere $24.95 and slightly less in GBP. It has the advantage of being an audio and video editor in one, with a good selection of effects for both formats. What I've found to be great about TrakAx is the unconventional method of achieving certain functions, which will certainly put you in good stead for using workarounds in other video editors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since we're talking payware, I'd like to get Nuke + Rolling Shutter.
    But I'll probably have to settle for RS + AE, since I already have AE as part of a CS MC.

Current freeware NLEs are all buggy near-useless crap.

If you still have Windows XP, then you can look at Avid Free DV.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The complexities of modern video dictate that you need much more than previously imagined.

The big guns you thought you had in that cheap software are up against laser guided tomahawk missiles now.

The stealth submarine you thought you had, has been reduced to a bathtub & two oars.

That peashooter on your hip is up against armor piercing nuclear tipped machine guns flying around in drones.
    Last edited by budwzr; 31st Oct 2011 at 01:10.
    Quote Quote