VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a new Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player which plays media through a USB. My problem is, I played Hawaii Five-O and Terra Nova no problem which is .mkv but, as soon as I try to play a film, Thor for example in the same format it gives an error saying File Format Not Supported. The manual states that the player supports .mkv and as I've already said, I've already played the above TV shows. Are the films encoded in a different way from the TV shows or is there another reason why the films won't play?
    Any help/advice would be appreciated thanks

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TVs and DVD/BluRay players that play MKV files don't play everything that an MKV file could possibly contain. Install MediaInfo and post here a screen capture of what it tells you about the file that won't play and someone can probably figure out what the problem is.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,

TV show & ThorClick image for larger version

Name:	TV.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	9117Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor.jpg
Views:	31523
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	9118

4. "header stripping". Remux without it. With MMG:

Click image for larger version

Name:	comp.png
Views:	30787
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	9119

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So just add film to MMG, tick that box and start muxing, is that right?

6. Yes. You have to exit and restart MMG after ticking the box.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, giving that a try thanks, let you know how it goes

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Done it and it still won't play, I checked MediaInfo and it had removed the compression, is there anything else that could be wrong?

9. One other thing to try with MMG: Before muxing select each track and check the Extra Options tab in the lower area. Make sure Compression is set to None.

If that doesn't work we'll need to see more of the MediaInfo report. Export the Text View.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, after removing the compression on Thor I had played it through Samsung PC Share Manager and it didn't play, since I got in from work I've tried playing by plugging my external drive directly into USB port and it's played, I'm now going to do another couple of my films and see if it works on those, I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for all the help so far

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Remember - TVs and BluRay players DO NOT PLAY EVERYTHING.

If you run into this problem a lot you might consider just buying a streaming media player like a Western Digital or similar model so you can get on with your life and stop having to make conversions so some fussy player will be happy. Media streamers usually don't require conversions although it is still possible to produce stuff that even they won't play, it's just not very common.

When you download stuff off the internet, do understand that you have zero control over what the person who made it does and if they are stupid you'll get a file that will be problematic to play. We had a post this week from someone in the Netherlands who was having trouble with some files she downloaded and one of the problems was an Xvid/Divx encoding option that no standalone playback devices support. Only PCs will play such files. So it just goes to show you how there's always some moron out there who creates these files without any real thought for playback compatibility with standalone devices.

12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please buy the shows,thread closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.