VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All!
    I think about buying a card to get videostreams into my computer for editing.
    Today I have a Canopus ADVC 300 but I have read some about the Black Magic and their products.

I see that I can record HDMI signals.
    Does it mean that I can connect my DVD-player through a HDMI cable and record a copy of that DVD?

I have some players with HDMI, so if thats possible I can connect them to a switch and then record them?

As I also hafve some S-VHS machines I thnk about the Intensity Shuttle but aftr reading some posts I dont know which model is be4st.

Hope someone can help me advises.

Best regards
    -Per
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by perasbro View Post
    I see that I can record HDMI signals.
    Does it mean that I can connect my DVD-player through a HDMI cable and record a copy of that DVD?
    You might be able to record SD HDMI output from the DVD player but not HD. The Blackmagic devices can't record HDCP protected sources and all upscaling players I've seen require HDCP. There's no point in recording SD output when you can rip a DVD in 5 minutes.

And you can forget about recording from your cable or satellite box. All of them require HDCP too.

Blackmagic devices are a waste of money for recording VHS. A US$30 capture card will work just as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The BM Intensity is intended for camcorder source (no HDCP).

The Shuttle requires future USB3 source (a semi joke).

Don't buy into bleeding edge. And no your i7 is no big deal in this environment.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you look into one of the software-based methods for ripping DVDs/Blu-rays rather than connecting a DVD player to a capture card. It's easier, faster, and lossless. That said, if you must capture HDMI, avoid the Intensity Shuttle like the plague (try the Intensity Pro if you feel adventurous) and use an HDFury for HDCP sources (limiting you to the component video "analogue hole" - but it's better than nothing).
    "I can wire anything directly into anything!" - Professor Farnsworth
    Quote Quote