VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So In my video directory I right clicked on a video, selected copy, then pasted that copy into a blank space creating a duplicate. After that I noticed that both files are exactly 99.2 MB in size but the original video was only about 35 MB!!

Why did this happen and how can i restore the file to it's original size!!??

Search PM
    Originally Posted by MaddogX View Post
    both files are exactly 99.2 MB
    I've never seen that happen. I doubt you have either.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    So your calling me a liar?

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A single file does not just magically double/triple in size just because you made a copy of it.

5. Maybe it's an Apple computer? Both Noahtuck and hech54 are correct. Something went terribly wrong when you copied that file. You don't just copy and paste into a "blank space" (whatever that means). You copy and paste into another folder if on a Windows PC if you want to retain the same file name.

6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely its a windows glitch where you need to refresh the directory where the files are.Happens to me once in a while.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Most likely its a windows glitch where you need to refresh the directory where the files are.Happens to me once in a while.
    I see the same thing from time to time. Windows Explorer sometimes fails to update the directory listing at the end of a process that involves writing to a file, so the file appears smaller than it really is. Refreshing the window normally corrects the listing. It seems to be a fairly common Windows 7 glitch.

8. Originally Posted by MaddogX View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    So your [sic] calling me a liar?
    MaddogX, as a newcomer, you probably haven't been on the forums long enough to note hech54's recurrent tendency to be harsh rather than helpful, although he sometimes chooses to be very helpful. Stick around and you will see it time and again. Hard to fathom the "why" of this behavior, other than maybe an occasional streak of misanthropy, a little "Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde."

Just ignore him as "Hyde" and take note of the occasionally helpful "Jeckyl."

Search PM
    Depends on which room I'm.....the padded one with the small window or the room that overlooks the courtyard.

10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Depends on which room I'm [sic].....the padded one with the small window or the room that overlooks the courtyard.
    I guess that would fall under the category of "suspicions confirmed."

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry guys, false alarm.

I had just changed the bit rate of that file in vlc and my directory did not update the changes to the file until I made a copy of it. I had to download an original copy and change the bit rate again to figure it out. I just wasn't expecting the MB to jump so high with such a minor change!

Thanks anyway for the help.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry guys, false alarm.

I had just changed the bit rate of that file in vlc and my directory did not update the changes to the file until I made a copy of it. I had to download an original copy and change the bit rate again to figure it out. I just wasn't expecting the MB to jump so high with such a minor change!

Thanks anyway for the help.
    You just validated what hech54 said, although I think what we have here is a case of a user, you, not telling us exactly what they were doing and expecting us to figure it out by reading your mind. How exactly were we supposed to know that you used VLC for this purpose when your original post said that you simply did a copy and paste?

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jman98;2112758]
    . You just validated what hech54 said, although I think what we have here is a case of a user, you, not telling us exactly what they were doing and expecting us to figure it out by reading your mind. How exactly were we supposed to know that you used VLC for this purpose when your original post said that you simply did a copy and paste?
    The conversion process had been done for over an hour at least. Thus, I didn't think it was relevant seeing as how I do this all of the time with virtually no changes made to the file size. The 35 MB size I alluded to was there long after the conversion process was over. In fact, I forgot it was a new file. What hech54 said was that I didn't just witness what I described and technically I did but obviously it was a glitch and not my imagination. I think you will find a large portion of failures to diagnose a problem in this section result form not taking a particular factor into account. Actually, most if not all diagnostic failures result from this and I don't see anybody else being bashed for it.

Search PM
    So In my video directory I right clicked on a video, selected copy, then pasted that copy into a blank space creating a duplicate. After that I noticed that both files are exactly 99.2 MB in size but the original video was only about 35 MB!!

Why did this happen and how can i restore the file to it's original size!!??
    Liar.

15. Originally Posted by MaddogX View Post
    What hech54 said was that I didn't just witness what I described and technically I did...
    No, technically you didn't, since there wasn't any copy and paste involved but a full reencode. And then you called him out on it:

So your (sic) calling me a liar?
    And he was 100% right and you're still trying to justify yourself? Give up already and apologize to him.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, technically you didn't, since there wasn't any copy and paste involved but a full reencode. And then you called him out on it:
    Technically I did, since I made a copy of the file using copy and paste in my directory before the directory updated the MB but obviously you are convinced that I'm lying so it doesn't matter what i say, you are determined to ride the hate maddogX band wagon.

And he was 100% right and you're still trying to justify yourself? Give up already and apologize to him.
    How is he 100% right? I should apologize for what? Asking him if he was calling me a liar?

17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread locked.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.